Heat testing question -- Pressing

What method of heat testing should I use for a silky press?

• Continue using heat tester AND paper towel

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Use heat tester only

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Use paper towel only

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters

snoop

Yesterday I had my hair pressed (at home). I bought a heat tester so that I could gauge the temperature of the combs. The highest heat indicators are for "ethnic" hair. I watched a really informative youtube vid before hand where the iron was tested on a paper towel after putting on the heat tester...the idea was that if the paper towel turned brown or yellow then the comb was too hot. I used that method, but only got a soft press even though I wanted a silky one. I used KaraCare Pressing Cream -- which I will not use next time...too greasy...and we were heavy handed which I think was part of the problem. You guys have driven the fear of heat damage into me!:lol: However, this is the first time pressing my hair where didn't walking away smelling like burnt hair. I think that I'll try a serem so that I could have a bit of slip (my ends were brutal to get through).

I'm wondering what I should do differently next time. Any advice would be appreciated.

I don't really understand. If you have the heat tester than why would you need the paper towel? Wouldn't the heat tester tell you that it was too hot? What are the indicators on the heat tester?

I don't believe the paper towel by itself is enough to let you know that the comb is too hot. You can burn the protein in your hair long before the paper towel turns yellow or brown. If the paper towel turns yellow or brown, typically the comb will just burn the strands right off or turn your hair that nice coppery brown :yep:

Maybe you can try the pressing cream again but with a much lighter touch. Usually pressing creams are a bit greasier than what is used for flat irons.

DC with a moisturizing conditioner before is essential. Use small sections. I use tge paper towel method (no tester) but I can tell when it is still too hot even when it doesn't burn the towel.

Why if you have a tester do you even need the towel? I am confused just like Faith is.

I can't see any mentions on my IPhone. PM me if it is a must see. Allons y

I have been known to use paper towel, a white hand towel or a ball of shaded hair to test my pressing comb. Usually I let my stove warm up(no temperature gauge on my gold n hot stove) for 10-20 minutes, then I place 2 hot combs in the stove for about 3 minutes before I test and begin pressing. I like to use two combs so I don't have to wait for the combs to heat up once I get going. I press a piece with one comb put the comb back in the stove part my hair then press the next piece with the other comb and do that back and forth until I'm done. You should use the back of your pressing comb with a heavy hand to press hair smooth straight. You don't have to use a comb with double teeth but you do have to make sure that you don't "comb" through with the teeth of the hot comb like its a regular comb and expect it to get straight. You have to turn your wrist inward and make sure the hair passes smoothly over the back side of the comb for a smooth press. You should have thoroughly detangled hair with heat protectant before your start. I read you mention your ends were brutal to get through. I am not sure what you mean by that but you should make sure your hair is thoroughly detangled to the point that a regular comb with teeth similar in spacing to your hot comb can pass through your hair before you put the hot comb in it. A snag with a hot comb can lead to scorching and breakage.

My guess is that the comb wasn't hot enough since you were scared of heat damage or the tension from the comb on the hair wasn't enough as the hair passed over the back of the hot comb. Practice makes perfect with pressing. I'm sure over time you will fine the balance of temperature, tension, proper detangling and heat protectant. Not to scare you but since you mentioned fear of heat damage it is much easier to burn your hair with a pressing comb or marcel irons than an electric flat iron. Have you considered an electric straightening tool instead? With practice hair can be just as straight with a flat iron as it is with stove top irons/combs. Good luck.

Interesting. I didn't realize women still used pressing combs. I thought women switched over to flat ironing since the plates have improved from way back when.

What is the benefit of using a pressing comb over a flat iron today?

For silky press you have to throw all heat rules out the door (I.e. Lots of heat and lots of passes required)...unless you have a looser texture.

Hi everyone! Thanks for your responses.

As for why the tester AND paper towel: I read a few threads and asked questions about pressing before actually doing it this time (had my hair pressed often as a teen). One thread pointed to this video as a good one to watch to learn about pressing. I purposely tried not to mention it as I didn't want to stir something up unintentionally. In this video she does both.

As for my ends, I'm not sure if it was a result of not having a proper trim but even when using a regular comb with teeth that matched those of the hot comb, my ends almost automatically curled on itself. I won't know if the trim that I got after will remedy the situation until I wash my hair again. I just assumed that that's how my ends just behaved. I live in twists 95% of the time and never use heat of any sort -- this is my first heat experience since I started my HHJ in 2011.

Lylddlebit, As for flat ironing, I've never flat ironed my hair before and would be scared that I would burn up my scalp and ears trying to do it myself! :lol:

mzteaze, thanks for the link. I'll check it out!

faithVA, I've only ever had my hair turn copper ONCE from too much heat, but it was only a few strands thankfully. Some of the brown on the paper was from the cream, so it's quite possible that I could have gone higher with the heat and not worry.

I think what I will do next time: 1) do a really good DC first, 2) make sure my hair and especially my ends are detangled, 3) find a non-greasy heat protectant.

Thanks again everyone for your help.

With a flat iron, you can do the comb chase method which makes sure that you ends are straight when pressed out. Without that method my ends feel frizzy instead of smooth when pressed.

Interesting. I didn't realize women still used pressing combs. I thought women switched over to flat ironing since the plates have improved from way back when.

I can't answer you. I have never had my hair flat ironed.

I like pressing better. I take small parts and let the back of the comb smooth the hair too.

I can't see any mentions on my IPhone. PM me if it is a must see. Allons y

Holla Hey girl! Uh, yes I guess a few of us have pressing combs. I still have a set plus a set of electric combs, curlers and flat irons. I have been very much into no heat since I started the journey I have avoided using them. I straightened my hair in November and used my stove combs because I could not find the electric ones. I was careful and had my hair out for two weeks. I have never developed skill with a flat iron although I own two. I have never had my hair real straight using a flat iron so I have used the stove or electric combs to get a straighter look. My goodness the benefits of a pressing comb today. The question sounds like pressing combs are from the dark ages of hair care. I still like mine but just do not use it as much. I have had a tendency in the past of heat damaging my hair in the summer so I do not use heat as much.:look:

Put the pressing cream on damp hair, then dry it and press without putting any other product on your hair. It will be silky smooth. Burnt hair and burnt hair smell comes from putting product on dry hair then frying it in with the pressing comb or flat iron.

I only use a white paper towel to test how hot my pressing combs are. If it turns brown, obviously it's too hot for my hair.

I can never get my hair as straight with a flat iron as I do with a pressing comb. Even if you have a mini flat-iron, it can never get to my roots as nicely as a pressing comb. When I use a pressing comb, my hair stays straight until I wash it again (every two weeks). When I use a flat iron, it has that "blow dried straight look" by day 3. Lastly, a hot comb cools down as it's being used...a flat iron keeps that temperature throughout. Most of the time the last 2" of my hair can get straight with a cooler comb which is healthier for my hair.

If I was relaxed, I would probably prefer a flat iron since my hair would be straighter to begin with....but since I'm not, I would prefer to get a sleek look that lasts longer, than a semi-good look that I have to wash out then do all over again. It's less heat in the long run.

A great flat iron will run you a couple hundred bucks and last about 10 years
A great pressing comb will run you about 10-30 bucks and last several family generations.

Last edited:
A great flat iron will run you a couple hundred bucks and last about 10 years
A great pressing comb will run you about 10-30 bucks and last several family generations.

SOOO True! My pressing combs are about 40 years old! (My mom used them before me.)

This thread amuses me.

What about electric pressing combs? Are those as good as the old marcel combs? Can a heat controlled electric comb be used on transitioning hair or new growth? I heard it can but you risk damage?

SOOO True! My pressing combs are about 40 years old! (My mom used them before me.)

I have my great grandmother's pressing comb and my grandmother's. My GGma died at 101 so I wonder how old it is.

You are right about the temperature cooling down. I never thought about that.

Sent from my iPad using LHCF

This thread amuses me.

What about electric pressing combs? Are those as good as the old marcel combs? Can a heat controlled electric comb be used on transitioning hair or new growth? I heard it can but you risk damage?

I wouldn't put any electric pressing combs in the running any of with my favorite heat tools. I do not believe they are as good as a good electric flat iron or a non electric quality hot comb. I did use a regular non electric pressing comb regularly throughout my entire transition. My hair was fine. With any heat tools you risk damage. I say the more damaging the potential, the more proactive your products and other practices need to be. Like pressing the roots only, using heat less often if you going to use higher heat or using high quality products to protect and restore the hair etc.

Before I tex-laxed, I went to a stylist who used a flat iron that vibrated. I saw her use it on a WG too whose hair was ubber frizzy curly. My hair (mostly 3(c)) and the other girl's hair came out beautiful - shinny, healthy and still full of life. I wanted to do a tex lax a week later and I literally had to stand in a steamy bathroom in order to get the texture back in my hair (so I could see where to tex lax). (I worked out, went outside when it was humid and nothing, nada -- hair stayed perfectly straight.) The point is, that vibrating flat iron was stronger than anything a pressing comb could do -- with far less grease (she only used Redken AntiSnap and Heat Protector) and, presumably, less damage. Look into it if you and natural and really want/need your hair to be straight.

Back