HEAT DAMMAGE vs CHEMICAL DAMAGE-which is worse?

IS IT WORSE TO HAVE HEAT TRAINED HAIR OR CHEMICALLY ALTERED HAIR?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If we want to be technical maybe it is damage. But if what you are doing to your hair and the changes it is going though due to chemical or heat services isn't stopping it from looking healthy and retaining length and you are basically happy with your hair, then I wouldn't call it damaged.

Going by one of the first definitions of 'damage' i came across as being "the occurrence of a change for the worse" maybe trained is a better term. Altering the hair to do or be what you want it to be

I voted heat trained hair is better, even-though improper use of both can be damaging, I think heat is far less worse. Heat cannot cause scalp burns, alopecia, damage to the scalp causing balding, health issues, ect.

All heat will do is make your texture a little looser and at worse cause some breakage and brittleness. The two should not even be compared IMO.

As far as the bold, that's not true.

Heat can cause scalp burns that lead to damage to the scalp and alopecia. If you ask a dermatologist they will tell you that much of the hair thinning/balding they see in black women as they age is due to scalp damage in the past from pressing combs and relaxers. The heat has just as much power to irreversibly damage hair follicles as a relaxer does.

Think of it this way, if you get a really bad burn on your arm, once a scar forms hair usually doesn't grow in that area anymore. The same thing happens on the scalp, especially since the skin there is much more sensitive.

I wish I could find the previous thread about it.

ETA: Here's the thread http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=328589.

And there's more about it if you google.

In general, I think black women need to take much much better care of their scalps. Whether it's slight tingling during a relaxer application, or a full on burn, or being burned with a pressing comb, flat iron, or hot hair grease, the scalp is taking a beating every time. Right underneath there are the hair follicles and they are taking just as much of a beating. You can't have healthy hair if your follicles are damaged...just something to think about.

Last edited:
If we want to be technical maybe it is damage. But if what you are doing to your hair and the changes it is going though due to chemical or heat services isn't stopping it from looking healthy and retaining length and you are basically happy with your hair, then I wouldn't call it damaged.

Going by one of the first definitions of 'damage' i came across as being "the occurrence of a change for the worse" maybe trained is a better term. Altering the hair to do or be what you want it to be

I think I like this definition of trained!

For me and my hair type (fine, medium low density, Highly textured 4b) direct heat on the regular basis is very damaging to my hair (ends specifically)! Therefore I find relaxing 2-4 times a year, with weekly rollersets and no direct heat to my ends a better alternative to keeping my hair straight.

For me and my hair type (fine, medium low density, Highly textured 4b) direct heat on the regular basis is very damaging to my hair (ends specifically)! Therefore I find relaxing 2-4 times a year, with weekly rollersets and no direct heat to my ends a better alternative to keeping my hair straight.

This sounds like my hair.

It all depends on the person's hair.

This is what I believe too DesiRae.

I have fine 4a/b hair and when I was completely natural, I COULD NOT:nono: use direct heat on my hair often. Been there done that.

My sister has med/coarse 4b/c hair and when she was natural, her hair loved the heat.

Last edited:
Methinks that's the main underlying theme here and the point of this thread. :sad: Sorry, but this ain't Nappturality and that sort of hardline about other people's hair just isn't on. shrug. Folks should do as they please and quit worrying about other people's hair choices.

'Tis right. Tomayto, Tomahto. People's perception of what "damaged" is varies. That's why there's no point in arguing about it. We can only determine what's right for our own hair. If you're satisfied with your hair, that's all that matters.

Last edited:
Damage is Damage. It doesn't matter which one. The poll should have had at least one more option.

As far as the bold, that's not true.

Heat can cause scalp burns that lead to damage to the scalp and alopecia. If you ask a dermatologist they will tell you that much of the hair thinning/balding they see in black women as they age is due to scalp damage in the past from pressing combs and relaxers. The heat has just as much power to irreversibly damage hair follicles as a relaxer does.

Think of it this way, if you get a really bad burn on your arm, once a scar forms hair usually doesn't grow in that area anymore. The same thing happens on the scalp, especially since the skin there is much more sensitive.

I wish I could find the previous thread about it.

ETA: Here's the thread http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=328589.

And there's more about it if you google.

In general, I think black women need to take much much better care of their scalps. Whether it's slight tingling during a relaxer application, or a full on burn, or being burned with a pressing comb, flat iron, or hot hair grease, the scalp is taking a beating every time. Right underneath there are the hair follicles and they are taking just as much of a beating. You can't have healthy hair if your follicles are damaged...just something to think about.
I appreciate your opinion but from my experiences I have never seen a natural who flat irons there hair with burns and hair loss from a flat ironing , I think If you are careful and know what your are doing its very simple to not touch your scalp with the flat iron, I dont know if its that simple with a pressing comb because I have never used one.
It all depends on the person and there techniques.

Last edited:
I appreciate your opinion but from my experiences I have never seen a natural who flat irons there hair with burns and hair loss from a flat ironing , I think If you are careful and know what your are doing its very simple to not touch your scalp with the flat iron, I dont know if its that simple with a pressing comb because I have never used one.

It's a fact that there is a type of alopecia that is caused by use of heat tools. It's also fact that there are reports in dermatology journals about how use of heat tools affects the scalp. It's also fact that even if the tool does not touch your scalp, the heat from it can be damaging (if it's high enough).

Just because you've not seen something doesn't make it impossible. I wasn't saying it happens to everyone, because you're right that it does depend on the person and the techniques, just that it does happen and it's actually not that uncommon.

It's a fact that there is a type of alopecia that is caused by use of heat tools. It's also fact that there are reports in dermatology journals about how use of heat tools affects the scalp. It's also fact that even if the tool does not touch your scalp, the heat from it can be damaging (if it's high enough).

Just because you've not seen something doesn't make it impossible. I wasn't saying it happens to everyone, because you're right that it does depend on the person and the techniques, just that it does happen and it's actually not that uncommon.

It's Centrifugal scarring alopecia. Most commonly found in the crown of the head.

I didn't read the responses but the question to me was similar to asking oranges and apples which ones are better? Alzheimer's and Parkinson's which one is worse? Losing a brother or a sister, which one is worse?

In other words, to me no damage is better than another. And by the same token, none is worse than the other. They are all bad in their own way and cannot be compared.

:yep:if you know what your doing, no reason to have burns from a pressing comb either

no rushing (I made that mistake only once, but never again)

I didn't read the responses but the question to me was similar to asking oranges and apples which ones are better? Alzheimer's and Parkinson's which one is worse? Losing a brother or a sister, which one is worse?

In other words, to me no damage is better than another. And by the same token, none is worse than the other. They are all bad in their own way and cannot be compared.
didnt read the thread either

will take your word for it Nonie:lachen::lachen:

there is no answer then

It's Centrifugal scarring alopecia. Most commonly found in the crown of the head.

Thank you, I knew there was a name for it.

Actually, when I first learned about it in that other thread it made me wonder about all the women here (including me) who report having scalp problems (soreness, itchiness, a different texture that is more prone to breakage) in their crown area. I think the one thing in common is past heat usage.

Hmmm. Something to think about.

I am curious to know whether any 4b naturals can go back and forth between wearing straight styles and natural styles like, twists, fro-buns, afros etc.??

well i had heat damage and i have cut out most of my hair that i grew this year. i refuse to walk around with split ends. ugh. people looked at my hair and said it looked fine but it was disgusting for me. i have a thing about split ends and i cannot stand them. i rather walk around with a baldie...which i considered doing for awhile.

im experimenting with heat now but safely and not as recklessly. my hair is doing fine. in fact my ends tend to tangle and split so i think heat (at least blowdrying) might be something my hair needs.

I am curious to know whether any 4b naturals can go back and forth between wearing straight styles and natural styles like, twists, fro-buns, afros etc.??

I don't see why not, which is why I love my 4B hair. Coz it can be pressed this straight:
PressedHairNoProducts-vi.jpg

And revert to this kinky/nappy/coily shrunken state:
Airdriednakedhair-vi.jpg

Which means you can go from twists:
TwistsSeptember42008-vi.jpg

To straight:
PressNov06-vi.jpg

To an afro puff:
FirstAttemptataPuff-vi.jpg

To a straight style updo/bun:
bitmap54564-vi.jpg

To a straight style braided do:
BraidsPressedHair120806-vi.jpg

To a straight style braid out:
AtWorkwUncombedHair112906-vi.jpg

Back to a shrunken puff:
October2008BunCake-vi.jpg

To a "straight" Curlformer do (still working on this):
CurlformersFirstAttempt-vi.jpg

Or a stretched out but still somewhat kinky puff:
ffandTuffwithmyAfroPuffOct2008-vi.jpg

Then to a straight pony:
Day3ponytail-vi.jpg

...et cetera.

The only thing that would stop a 4B-er from switching back and forth is laziness (Heyyyyy :wave: ) and a mental block as far as ideas are concerned...(ETA: and maybe a fear of heat which is easy to overcome once you learn a straightening technique that gets you results you want without damaging your hair).

Last edited:
I don't see why not, which is why I love my 4B hair. Coz it can be pressed this straight:
PressedHairNoProducts-vi.jpg

And revert to this kinky/nappy/coily shrunken state:
Airdriednakedhair-vi.jpg

Which means you can go from twists:
TwistsSeptember42008-vi.jpg

To straight:
PressNov06-vi.jpg

To an afro puff:
FirstAttemptataPuff-vi.jpg

To a straight style updo/bun:
bitmap54564-vi.jpg

To a straight style braided do:
BraidsPressedHair120806-vi.jpg

To a straight style braid out:
AtWorkwUncombedHair112906-vi.jpg

Back to a shrunken puff:
October2008BunCake-vi.jpg

To a "straight" Curlformer do (still working on this):
CurlformersFirstAttempt-vi.jpg

Or a stretched out but still somewhat kinky puff:
ffandTuffwithmyAfroPuffOct2008-vi.jpg

Then to a straight pony:
Day3ponytail-vi.jpg

...et cetera.

The only thing that would stop a 4B-er from switching back and forth is laziness (Heyyyyy :wave: ) and a mental block as far as ideas are concerned...(ETA: and maybe a fear of heat which is easy to overcome once you learn a straightening technique that gets you results you want without damaging your hair).

I agree! my hair reverts back quick when wet! plus I think using 100% ceramic irons with Ionic technology make the difference!

I'm currently dealing with chemical damage and it is not pretty, cute or sexy. I'm currently in braids because it's gotten to the point where I cannot even look at my hair without getting mad.Now I'm definitely in the process of transitioning..

Whats the difference if relaxed heads use heat any way??????

Look at my avatar to answer the question. (I almost never use heat) Or check out Slyver2's head of a relaxed hair who have and will use heat often. Both a head full of healthy hair.

Damage is Damage!! but I am addicted to my blow dryer so.....I gotta say I'll roll with heat damage. Ultimate no to chemical damage phew! that's permanent hair loss RIGHT THURR lol

Hello,

My name is Carolyn, hince nylorac and I am new to Long Hair Care Forum. I have natural hair that is 6 inches long. I will updae my profile soon to include a picture of me.

I do not use any heat or relaxers on my hair, but if I had to choose one I would pick heat over chemical's because I would be more afraid of hurting my scalp from a chemical burn. Even if I burned my hair strand from a hot iron and it turned white, I could always cut my hair and grow new hair from my healthy scalp. If my scalp became permanetly damaged, hair may never grow back.

CLM

I selected heat; although I don't want any damage:sad:

I say this because I certainly have better coordination and control using a heat appliance than I did using chemicals---I can control the temperature I chose, I can chose how close I get to the scalp, I can chose how long I press each lock of hair...doing this with chemicals is a bit harder. Of course you can use oils, conditioners and protein to counteract the damage from chemical use but it is way more scientific.

I can't remember if I answered in this thread or not...LOL.

I think the answer really depends upon the individual. I'll take the minimal amount of 1 time damage I do to my hair relaxing it every 3 months over trying to heat straighten my fine strands 2 or 3 times a week (which is what I'd have to do if I was natural). Heat is just not my friend.

Back