HEAT DAMAGED-VENT

Loves Harmony

Hello everyone! I so so so upset i went to the salon on Thanksgiving eve to have my hair flat iron. (first time since bc May) Well me in the lady got into about my hair because she kept going through the same spot over and over and over again because my hair wouldnt straighten. Well i told her dont worry about it if she couldnt. Well on thanksgiving my hair made it through the whole day. That night i went home and co wash my hair. Well long and behold some piece of my hair wouldnt curl back. I dont know what to do beside cutting the parts out? I call the lady back no answer then i call her back to let her know what happen it was oh that happen. No im sorry, no come back to dc, no nothing. I just told her thanks for letting me pay you $35 just heat damage hair:sad:. Should i cut the parts low?

I already wash, deep condition, did an 2 min recon (aphogee),co washabout 7 time still nothing.. I already cut a few piece off.....

Am so sad... I was nl. Now i came across an set back..... No more going to the salon for me ever ever. Next time i will str8 my own hair and if something happen it would be my own fault....:nono:

This is one of the reasons why i'm scared to go natural. I'd be pissed if i washed my hair and noticed a patch didnt curl back up.

Good luck!

OMG, that's horrible! I'm bumping the thread up for you so that you can get some good advice. Did she even use any heat protectant? Did you smell burning hair? What type of iron (ceramic, tourmaline/ceramic, metal) was she using and what temperature was it set on?

Heat damage is heat damage. I've never seen anyone get theirs to curl back up.

Do you wear your hair in it's shrunken state most of the time? If so I guess you could cut the piece or just try to hide it or set that piece of hair a small roller depending if you have a curl pattern.

When I went for my first press, I had already planned out what I was going to do if parts of my hair wouldn't curl back up. And that was NOTHING. I am trying not to wear my hair in it's shrunken state anyway and so I am usually stretching my hair out. So I wouldn't have a problem with it, because length is my new goal and not just being nappy.

Also sometimes you can hide the pieces with other parts of your nappy hair. Even in twist if it is a small enough piece. And set the ends of your twist on rollers so they curl ya know? and you don't have the straight part sticking out, but it is curled at the ends with the nappy hair too.

Anyway good luck. I suggest every nappy who decides to get their hair straightened have your plan set up for the action you will take if your curl doesn't come back.

I was at piece not fretting or anything during my process. I was at peace.

Last edited:
I'm sorry that happened to you. You are going to have to cut the damaged pieces. I am a big advocate of pressing your own hair. Alot of salons don't know the correct technique for geting hair straight and use high heat and damage the hair. Technique gets hair straight, not high heat and multiple passes.

I am so sorry to hear that this happened to you :nono:

This is why I am going to straighten my own hair unless I KNOW for a fact with 100s of references the salon is into natural hair care. Even then I will proceed with extreem caution...

I hope someone here can off your some good advice.

Hello everyone! I so so so upset i went to the salon on Thanksgiving eve to have my hair flat iron. (first time since bc May) Well me in the lady got into about my hair because she kept going through the same spot over and over and over again because my hair wouldnt straighten. Well i told her dont worry about it if she couldnt. Well on thanksgiving my hair made it through the whole day. That night i went home and co wash my hair. Well long and behold some piece of my hair wouldnt curl back. I dont know what to do beside cutting the parts out? I call the lady back no answer then i call her back to let her know what happen it was oh that happen. No im sorry, no come back to dc, no nothing. I just told her thanks for letting me pay you $35 just heat damage hair:sad:. Should i cut the parts low?

I already wash, deep condition, did an 2 min recon (aphogee),co washabout 7 time still nothing.. I already cut a few piece off.....

Am so sad... I was nl. Now i came across an set back..... No more going to the salon for me ever ever. Next time i will str8 my own hair and if something happen it would be my own fault....:nono:

Sorry to hear your ordeal, but take it as a learning experience and move on.

Depending on how much heat damage you have, it might be best to start on a clean slate and cut everything off, not using direct heat until your hair has fully recovered.

Good luck to you.

I wear my hair in shrunken stated... Yes i plan from here on out to str8 my own hair. What would be the best protectant to use?

Sorry to hear your ordeal, but take it as a learning experience and move on.

Depending on how much heat damage you have, it might be best to start on a clean slate and cut everything off, not using direct heat until your hair has fully recovered.

Good luck to you.

Well i just cut the pieces off and call it a day...

Well i just cut the pieces off and call it a day...

Okay, cool.

So you're still able to cut off the pieces without having a lopsided/uneven look?

For heat protection I recommend:

Sabino Moisture Block
FHI Hot Sauce
CHI Silk Infusion
Redken Heat Glide
Fantasia IC

But most importantly use a good iron. Ladies have been raving about FHI, Sedu, and Solia flat irons, just to name a few. :)

Wait you already cut it off?! I hope some more naturals who press would come in here. I'm not sure that you have exhausted all your options.

If you wanna try Chi Silk Infusion they have little samples size bottles on sale at Ulta for 5 for $1

Before you cut your hair, try moisturizing and deep conditioning for a few weeks to see if your hair goes back to normal. Its worth a try at least.

I straighten my own natural hair with no set-backs. You will need to deep condition for at least one hour, rollerset or air dry, then spray a heat protectant before flatiron your hair. I have a Chi and I use either Ion or Matrix heat protectants. I also add coconut oil before rollersetting just as a precaution.

By the way don't ever let anyone put the flatiron through your hair like that. Its your hair, not hers. Some people are just too rough. Good luck!!!!

didn't this happen to a girl on the board and her hair dressed just clarified her hair and dc'd. i think the stylist said that she still had product from the heat protectant on her hair... thats why it didn't curl up.

Some peoples hair does not bounce back immediately. Sometimes it takes a few washes. My hair is not as shrunken the first wash after i straighten it as it is 8 cowashes later. Just monitor your hair for the rest of the week to see if you notice a change.

didn't this happen to a girl on the board and her hair dressed just clarified her hair and dc'd. i think the stylist said that she still had product from the heat protectant on her hair... thats why it didn't curl up.

I wonder if it's the girl who tried the sabino moisture block you are talking about. Turns out after several washes she still had the cones(MB is a heavy duty cone) on her hair and her hair dresser got it out and she was ok.

I agree with the poster who said check out pinkskate's tutorial or any other natural that straightens regularly here on the board and learn to do it yourself. I am starting to hear too many stories of hair dressers causing heat damage:sad:

I wonder if it's the girl who tried the sabino moisture block you are talking about. Turns out after several washes she still had the cones(MB is a heavy duty cone) on her hair and her hair dresser got it out and she was ok.

I agree with the poster who said check out pinkskate's tutorial or any other natural that straightens regularly here on the board and learn to do it yourself. I am starting to hear too many stories of hair dressers causing heat damage:sad:

yeah i think i was thinking about her.

ElleDoll is another user who frequently straightens. I have used her tips with great success. bantu knot-outs and ponytail rollersetting are also really great ways to get your hair straight without direct heat. good luck!

it was brockstar whose hair didn't curl back up fully after the first one or two washes. don't be hasty. give it at least a few washes and deep treatments. if it doesn't come back after that, well, i guess the curl is just gone.

Well, that is one of the risks you take darling. I doubt if it will curl back. You may have to do a mini bantu knot or something to help it blend in with the rest of your hair if you don't want to cut it.

If you must wear your hair straight sometimes, I suggest getting a sedu or your choice of flat iron to do it yourself. The ladies on here give superb advice on not burning your hair, cause trust me, the stylist will fry your hair within an inch of its life just to get it straight.

Back