Heat damage from baggy?

bb1047

Im fairly new to the whole head baggying system. If I sit under a hood dryer with conditioner and oil in my hair isn't the heat itself in a way damaging my hair. Im trying to use as little heat as possible this year. Im a little confused.

^^^Pretty much.

Oil + Hair + Heat = Fried hair (literally).

I would just deep condition without the oil.

^^^Pretty much.

Oil + Hair + Heat = Fried hair (literally).

I would just deep condition without the oil.

Mmmmm :ohwell:, not necessarily. If you're talking about adding the oil to the deep conditioner, then no, that will not fry your hair. It actually helps the conditioner to perform better and the heat only helps to open your pores more. OP, I suggest using the search feature and looking for some threads on this. There are a ton out there that you should find very informational! :yep:

I hope that helps ease some of your confusion :)

Erm, from what I've read about baggying, you don't need to use a dryer, or any extra heat. You just put the conditioners and oils in your hair, and then cover your hair in plastic and leave it in for a few hours. Like suggested above, the search function would be very useful to you in finding out more :yep:

well, for the few times that ive sat under a dryer at home i had mixed: eggs,avocado,olive oil and ess oil ylang ylang. sat under the dryer with plastic cap for about 20 to 30 minutes and no problem.

Erm, from what I've read about baggying, you don't need to use a dryer, or any extra heat. You just put the conditioners and oils in your hair, and then cover your hair in plastic and leave it in for a few hours. Like suggested above, the search function would be very useful to you in finding out more :yep:

I was about to say the same thing Cherry.

Whay you are talking about is a deep conditioner treatment which is different from a simple baggy method at night during the day or even 24/7. Check out Chicoro's baggy method suggestion which has nothing to do with direct or indirect applied to the hair.
The indirect heat from the hair dryer allows your hair to swell and to raise your cuticle allowing better penetration of the product. Heat damage occurs with heat AND with some sort of tension applied on the hair strand in order to stretch it. The combination MAY leave the hair permanently straight.
NTH!

Mmmmm :ohwell:, not necessarily. If you're talking about adding the oil to the deep conditioner, then no, that will not fry your hair. It actually helps the conditioner to perform better and the heat only helps to open your pores more. OP, I suggest using the search feature and looking for some threads on this. There are a ton out there that you should find very informational! :yep:

I hope that helps ease some of your confusion :)

Yes, necessarily. :look:

Oil is oil even if it's in conditioner. What, did you think that it changed in any way? If so, how?

Consider this: Have you've ever put oil on your skin and walked out into the sun. I have. Do you know how painful it is? I do. Why do you think it would be any different? What makes you say that it makes the conditioning agents work better?

I ask these questions because last I checked, oil is a heat conductor.

Hmm, you know, I also thought it was good to add oils to deep conditioner. I've done it plenty of times, and I've read about it so many times on this website, as well as in other places, so I'm pretty surprised to hear someone here say that it's bad :perplexed

Yes, necessarily. :look:

Oil is oil even if it's in conditioner. What, did you think that it changed in any way? If so, how?

Consider this: Have you've ever put oil on your skin and walked out into the sun. I have. Do you know how painful it is? I do. Why do you think it would be any different? What makes you say that it makes the conditioning agents work better?

I ask these questions because last I checked, oil is a heat conductor.

You're oversimplifying it.
If the practice in question was something like flat ironing, hot combing, or curling the hair with an iron (direct heat), then yes...you are correct. Putting oil on the hair is not advisable, but there are many who do it with success.

For what we're talking about though (indirect heat), applying oil to the hair is just fine. In fact, it's good. The hair doesn't end up fried at all, rather, the cuticles of the hair open up to allow the oil to penetrate and nourish the hair more deeply. This is why you have ladies deep conditioning with pure coconut oil, and adding oils to conditioning treatment.

Also, your analogy is faulty. Yes, oil is a heat conductor, but hair and skin does not respond in the same way to oil and indirect heat. While it may burn the skin on your body, it definitely won't burn hair or even your scalp.
And even that point is weird to me, because tbh, I've never gone in the sun with oil on my skin and been in pain. And when I was a kid, my mom would slather me in cocoa butter and send me out to play looking a piece of fried chicken. Nothing ever happened to me. I've never heard anyone complain about that either. So maybe the sun was just really hot that day in your neck of the woods, because that's the only instance in which I can imagine that happening.

Aaannndd.....all of this is moot, because baggying isn't done with heat at all. :lachen:

Last edited:
Back