Healthy - Quick or slow drying hair

edrushuk

Over the years I have noticed that the time taken to dry my natural 4ab hair is becoming shorter. In the old days it would take overnight, and now it is 1-2 hours airdry.

Is this truely a sign of healthy hair or am i mistaken?

Thanks ladies

Susanna

You know, I wish I knew the answer to this. Airdrying my hair straight down, takes about an hour.

If it is in a bun....its a wrap. 24 hours at least.

loreal99 said:
You know, I wish I knew the answer to this. Airdrying my hair straight down, takes about an hour.

If it is in a bun....its a wrap. 24 hours at least.

That's because all parts aren't exposed to the air to dry, right?

Well in any case, your timing is about the same as mine!

I think your question has to do with porosity. The more porous your hair is the quicker it dries. The less porous it is the longer it takes to dry. I believe if it takes too long to dry that means that your hair does not have a lot of porosity and it may be resistant to chemicals. If it dries to quickly your hair may be too porous and this means it may overprocess easily and be unable to hold moisture.

I think the goal is probably to have your hair not dry too quickly. Over porous hair is not a good thing from what I have read:)

http://www.pg.com/science/haircare/hair_twh_34.htm

Last edited:
trimbride said:
I think your question has to do with porosity. The more porous your hair is the quicker it dries. The less porous it is the longer it takes to dry. I believe if it takes too long to dry that means that your hair does not have a lot of porosity and it may be resistant to chemicals. If it dries to quickly your hair may be too porous and this means it may overprocess easily and be unable to hold moisture.

I think the goal is probably to have your hair not dry too quickly. Over porous hair is not a good thing from what I have read:)

Thanks Trimbride. I always wondered what it meant when hair dries slow or fast!

Kyla

Oh boy..just when i though I could see the light at the end of the tunnel! So how do i get my hair to hold more moisture?

Sx

I think to hold more moisture you have to make sure that you are closing your cuticle and that the cuticle stays closed. From what I have learned. Apple Cider Vinegar Rinses (about a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar diluted in about 12 ounces of water)after you wash and condition the hair close the cuticle. I am currently using Roux Porosity control conditioner after every wash. I prepoo, wash, and Deep condition. I get into the shower rinse my hair and then apply Roux Porosity Control conditioner. I keep this on for 30-45 seconds then I rinse

This conditioner has a PH of 4.5 - 5.5 which is supposed to bring our hair into balance. I am not an expert on this but it has helped because I was having major issues with my relaxed ends. Using porosity control has helped tremendously.

I have heard that African American hair has porosity issues because 4B hair is more prone to have a lifted cuticle. Add to that that we relax, color, or use heat this only damages the cuticle and may cause permanent lifting. To prevent this I try to eliminate as many unnecessary processes as possible. I don't use heat, I don't use permanent color and I use Porosity Control to close my cuticle after washing the hair as much as possible.

This is my understanding of the whole porosity subject. I have more but I don't want to misqoute people. I suggest you do a search on LHCF & google on porosity. You will find all the information that you need to decide what the next best steps will be for you and your hair.

Good Luck! :)

Last edited:
trimbride said:
I think to hold more moisture you have to make sure that you are closing your cuticle and that the cuticle stays closed. From what I have learned. Apple Cider Vinegar Rinses (about a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar diluted in about 12 ounces of water)after you wash and condition the hair close the cuticle. I am currently using Roux Porosity control conditioner after every wash. I prepoo, wash, and Deep condition. I get into the shower rinse my hair and then apply Roux Porosity Control conditioner. I keep this on for 30-45 seconds then I rinse

This conditioner has a PH of 4.5 - 5.5 which is supposed to bring our hair into balance. I am not an expert on this but it has helped because I was having major issues with my relaxed ends. Using porosity control has helped tremendously.

I have heard that African American hair has porosity issues because 4B hair is more prone to have a lifted cuticle. Add to that that we relax, color, or use heat this only damages the cuticle and may cause permanent lifting. To prevent this I try to eliminate as many unnecessary processes as possible. I don't use heat, I don't use permanent color and I use Porosity Control to close my cuticle after washing the hair as much as possible.

This is my understanding of the whole porosity subject. I have more but I don't want to misqoute people. I suggest you do a search on google on porosity and on LHCF. You will find all the information that you need to decide what the next best steps will be for you and your hair.

Hi again Trimbride,

Thanks, I was using Roux Porosity at the wrong step, I was using it before my conditioner. I will try it this way. Thanks for ALL your help!

Kyla

trimbride said:

This is my understanding of the whole porosity subject. I have more but I don't want to misqoute people. I suggest you do a search on LHCF & google on porosity. You will find all the information that you need to decide what the next best steps will be for you and your hair.

Adding this to my list because I have feeling this is a part of my problem.

I deal w/ the same issues and am still searching for answers My crown is more porous and I think 4b while my front, sides and back are a little looser and take longer to dry. The looser parts are longer while my crown is shorter and breaks easily.

trimbride said:

I thought it was the less porous your hair is, the less time it take to dry. Slow drying hair is a sign of damage. The more damaged your hair is, the more porous it is. This means that it soaks up more water and takes a lot longer to dry. I used to have really damaged hair and it took hours to dry. I've since then cut off all damaged ends and now have healthy BSL hair, it dries it about 45 mins-1 hr....

My hair dries quick or slowly depending on the products I use, or is my hair is dryer or more moisturized than normal.

For example, I have been battling with over moisturized hair and it was taking forever to dry. As soon as I did a protein treatment, my hair dried faster.

Also, when I use a VERY moisturizing leave-in, my hair dries very slowly vs. when I use something with lots of cones or just a liquid leave-in.

Also, my hair dries faster right after I get a touch up. The more NG I have, the longer it takes my hair to get dry overall.

Back