Healthy Hair Equals Gross Pillows and Lost Product

bhndbrwneyes

75% of the time I go to bed on freshly co-washed hair. I’ll usually M&S my hair and put it in twists/braids to wear out the next day or if I’m lazy I M&S and put it into a bun. I wear a satin bonnet and my pillows always end up being very damp in the morning. Also, after just a few days they start to smell like all the products I’m using which is NOT a pleasant smell because I don’t like the smell of AO products or sulfer. I don’t think I have this issue (at least not as much) when I baggy. I don’t want to baggy every night because I don’t want my hair to get over-moisturized. Also, if I baggy then my twists/braids won't be dry enough in time for the morning and if I undo them on damp hair my style gets frizzy.

Do any of you ladies experience the same issue? What are some ways to resolve this? Part of the issue is also that I’m probably losing product as some of it is being absorbed into my bed.

Only thing I can think of right now is wait for my hair to dry a little bit more before I go to bed. My hair isn't SOAKING wet, I do pat it down with a t-shirt but maybe I need to airdry it just a little bit more before I apply my product. What do ya'll think?

Have you tried sleeping with a towel over your pillow?

I usually make sure my hair is about 75% dry before going to bed and sleep with a towel in order to avoid messy pillows/pillow cases.

wash your hair as soon as you get home from work/school/etc. to give it some time to airdry before you go to sleep.
Letting your hair dry to 80-90% product free then applying products cuts down on how long it take to air dry
the other alternative is to wash your hair before you go to work/school/etc
How long does it take you to co-wash? and do you mind styling on wet/towel dried hair? because then this maybe ideal.

the last thing i can think of is to change your pillowcase daily.
new pillowcase ==> no smells :)
what do you think you're going to do?

I wear a plastic cap, satin bonnet and top it off with a towel turban:yep: this works well for me. I only have damp pillows if I have no plastic cap on.

I wasn't sure if having the plastic cap on every night would be TOO much moisture for my hair but I will give it a try for about a month and hope my hair won't get all snappy. If so maybe upping my protein (which I already get a lot of) might help or maybe my hair will just be fine since I do get so much protein.

I think the reason why I apply product so early after washing my hair without it being 75% dry is for detangling. When I DID wait for my hair to dry a little bit more, I would still spritz it with a watery leave in to make detangling easier. But maybe if I stick to my new HH SCM which is a great detangler and moisturizer, I won't have to worry about detangling.

I do wash my hair in the morning sometimes but this is not my preference as I need every millisecond of sleep I can get and I'm already late to work as it :ohwell:

Last edited:
I Baggie nightly but not my entire head only my puffs. On days that I wash I dry my hair with my turbin, then apply leave-ins and scarf...I do not Baggie on nights that I wash. ,but I do double scarf. I reapply product in the am. I normally do not have a problem with pillow slips soaking up product. However if I go past my normal wash schedule things do get a little messy.

Last night I washed, waited for my hair to get about 80% dry if not more then applied my product and baggied. Placed satin bonnet over bag. I wasn't too heavy handed on the product (it seemed). My pillow was dry but my hair was still wet in the morning causing it to friz out when it finally dried. I understand that my hair probably dried faster before because some of the moisture was being trapped in the pillow and less in my hair. It just seems like a no-win situation for me. I will try using even less product making sure to really work through each section. Maybe I just have to do it on 100% dry hair.

I try to never go to bed with wet hair since its in its weakest form here(I sleep wild), but i moisturize and seal with oils so what I do is use a towel to cover my pillow. I dont use bags because they either slide off or leave my hair feeling wet.

Back