Having Some Problems

Cincysweetie

Well I am 16 weeks post relaxer today, and my hair HAD been looking and doing decent for the most part. Right now, I feel it's out of control. It's dry, I'm experiencing some broken hairs on my shirt and I feel like it's going to be a nightmare to detangle. I plan to relax soon, I just have to call to make an appointment. Until then, do you all have any tips to help me get back on track? Also, any detangling tips?

How do you wear your hair?... Try and keep it moisturized as much as possible...

Is it possible to do CW"S more?

When I am close to touch-up, I moisturize like crazy... and I put a plastic bag on top to let the moisture really soak in... It helps the hair stay soft...

Let us know how things go... keep us posted....

I know you LadyZ ;)

Thanks for the tips, my hair is really needing moisture it seems so hard to keep in there. I was thinking of doing a pre-poo treatment, then shampooing and deep conditioning. I also think I should do a protein treatment to deal with the breakage, should I do that this wash or the next?

I agree with maintaining moisture. Last month I let my hair air-dry most of the time. I dampened my hair before combing it, because I noticed that I would see little hairs if I tried to comb while it was dry.

I also started to carry a rosemary and lavendar spritz, as recommended by one of the other ladies here. That helped me out big time.

I had this problem too when I stretched a bit too long. I did some protein treatments (Aphoghee or Elasta Protein) and followed up with a moisture treatment. My shedding did not stop too much though until I went ahead and relaxed. For detangling, I used Pantene detangler/leave-in.

I would deep condition really well( I prefer heat) and as ur rinsing out the conditioner, detangle with a wide seamless comb.

vickiepickles said:
I had this problem too when I stretched a bit too long. I did some protein treatments (Aphoghee or Elasta Protein) and followed up with a moisture treatment. My shedding did not stop too much though until I went ahead and relaxed. For detangling, I used Pantene detangler/leave-in.
Thank you Vickie's and Webby for responding. I did a pre-poo treatment (VO5 S&C, EVOO, KeraCare Essential Oils warmed in the microwave and then sat under the dryer in a plastic cap for 15 min); washed with a moisturizing shampoo (EQP CCS); am currently doing a protein treatment with Aphogee; and then will finish with a moisturizing deep conditioner (either KeraCare Humecto or NTM Hair Mask). Hopefully my hair will be much better after this.

pink_flower said:
I would deep condition really well( I prefer heat) and as ur rinsing out the conditioner, detangle with a wide seamless comb.
Okay, I will def. do this. Thank you! By the way, if you don't mind my asking, what part of Texas do you reside in? I am considering a move to either Dallas or Houston, so if you reside in one of those I might have to send you a PM (full of questions, lol).:)

webby said:
I agree with maintaining moisture. Last month I let my hair air-dry most of the time. I dampened my hair before combing it, because I noticed that I would see little hairs if I tried to comb while it was dry.

I also started to carry a rosemary and lavendar spritz, as recommended by one of the other ladies here. That helped me out big time.

Webby, is this rosemary and lavendar spritz something you made at home or is this a store bought product? I was wondering because I have both the rosemary & lavendar eo's and I could probably make this spritz myself. Do you use this on dry hair? or is it for wet hair only?

How often are you combing your hair? As far as detangling, I use/love Pantene Detangle Light Spray Conditioner (works well on my hair). As far as moisture, can you do daily rinsing with conditioner? This may help.

Hey ladies, thank you for all the tips. After over an hour of gentle detangling, I finally got all the knots and kinks out. I had to seperate my hair into 7 pieces though. I guess I should look into some kind of detangling spray and I am thinking of getting a new leave-in conditioner to help. I really had been abusing my hair lately, so I guess it was trying to show some anger, lol. Everything is fine now, thanks for the tips.

Webby, I would like to hear more about this R&L spritz also...
Bubln, I'm not natural but am really considering making the switch. I just know that I would have to BC my hair really short and I don't think that look is for me...

Cincysweetie said:
Oh, no...my hair is matted...IDK what to do! Somebody help please.

Have you tried a thicker conditioner. When I strecth to 24 weeks (using braids and cornrows) I realized that I need a thicker conditioner. For your matting I'd recommend Creme of Nature b/c it conditions and detangles. Also if you don't already have one, you may need to find a K-Cutter comb so you don't experience breakage when you comb. This is what helped me get through my stretch.

Last edited:
lveurslf said:
Have you tried a thicker conditioner. When I strecth to 24 weeks (using braids and cornrows) I realized that I need a thicker conditioner. For your matting I'd recommend Creme of Nature b/c it conditions and detangles. Also if you don't already have one, you may need to find a K-Cutter comb so you don't experice breakage when you comb. This is what helped me get through my stretch.

Co-sign on the K-Cutter. That thing works miracles.

Cincy, what do you use for everyday moisture?

Cincy, I had this same problem with my relaxed hair. :yep:

And as what was mentioned by the other ladies in this thread, moisturize is the key. :woot:

I used a product called Fastiasia IC Hair polisher (aloe enriched) and Hollywood's Carrot Creme on my ends. At night I moisturze with Black & Sassy Break Free Over night and water in a spray bottle. :)

This worked wonders for me. :woot:

HTH

I have the same problem. I'M 14 weeks post. Someone on the board recommended Vitamin E on my ends and that stuff is the bomb. I have moisture all day. I also stopped shampooing and I only do conditioner washes. I haven't had any buidup and the shedding had stopped.

Cincysweetie said:
I know you LadyZ ;)

Thanks for the tips, my hair is really needing moisture it seems so hard to keep in there. I was thinking of doing a pre-poo treatment, then shampooing and deep conditioning. I also think I should do a protein treatment to deal with the breakage, should I do that this wash or the next?

HI CINCY,

If you have not done a protein treatment in a while.... I would do one... It will stop future breaking....

Hey again, ladies...

LadyZ...I did an aphogee protein treatment, so *hopefully* my breakage is under control

Candie19....where can I get some Vitamin E for my ends? They get soooo dry, I've found very few products that keep the moisture in there

Sugaplum....thank you also for the tips. The ladies are so right that moisture is the key. I actually took the time to go through my hair today and moisturize it. I will moisturize one last time before bed and start over tomorrow.

Camille...while my hair is wet I put oils in (KeraCare Essential Oils) and then when it dry on the roots I use EQP Mango Butter and then on the ends I use ORS Carrot Oil. It is one of the only moisturizers that has ever worked for me

lveurself...I currently use Humectress and I think that's pretty thick, but is the CON a thicker conditioner? Usually it works wonders for me, but my hair was tangly before I washed it and it just wasn't cutting it this time around. I def. might need to look into a K-cutter, currently I use a Conair Shower Comb.

Ladies...I think that I def. need to up my co washes, constantly moisturizee my hair, quit being lazy and cover my hair at night, and moisturize, moisturize, moisturize!

Cincy,

I was peeping through your Fotki...
You have some beautiful hair... Don't neglect it...
I hope the breakage is stopping....
With a few CW's I think it will be alright....
I hear some ladies say that braid outs and bantu knots can be drying to hair and cause breakage...

Keep us posted....:)

Back