Have you recovered from damaged, short and thin bangs? Please share your secrets.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
Now that I have my nape growing and off to a really good start, I'm shifting focus to my short and thin bangs. I don't wear bangs but I consider it the bang area. The rest of my hair is almost APL and CBL so there is a distinct difference in length. I moisturize and seal daily, I don't brush my hair and I only gently rake my seamless comb over my hair when needed.

Did you suffer from this problem too? What did you do to recover and now have full, long and healthy bangs? I know I can't be the only person having this problem so please share your tips and any thoughts on possible causes.

This is my first thread so I'm hoping for some support. This issue has bothered me for years and none of my previous or current stylists have any suggestions. Same thing with my nape hair; I was told that some parts of the head grow like that and there is nothing I can do but keep the hair trimmed short. That's a big fat lie! I recently got my nape to start growing after years of being only 2 inches long.

Thank you all in advance for helping me out, it's greatly appreciated :).

Re: Have you recovered from damaged, short and thin bangs? Please share your secrets

overprocessing or under processing this area could be a cause. do you pull your hair all the way back? do you use ouchless pontytail holders? i don't pull the front(bangs) of my hair going all the way back. i have a part down the middle and my bangs go more in a swoop direction. i don't use gel or pomade on my bangs or front either.

since this is a weak spot, this should be the last part that touches a relaxer. even though ouchless ponytail holders look non-damaging, they are. i rarely use ponytail holders. i use spin pins and good day hair pins, or satin scrunchies.

i dust this area often and i do oil treatments as a prepoo.

Last edited:
Hey Op ,check out my 2 year progress thread ,my hair was NL very damaged by heat and relaxer i trimmed off the damaged part little by little and grew my hair to (straigh) MBL .
my hair was NL /SL fot a long tine due to damage .If i have one suggestion is to cut the damage part and treat your healthy hair gently .

shortdub78 said:
overprocessing or under processing this area could be a cause. do you pull your hair all the way back? do you use ouchless pontytail holders? i don't pull the front(bangs) of my hair going all the way back. i have a part down the middle and my bangs go more in a swoop direction. i don't use gel or pomade on my bangs or front either.

since this is a weak spot, this should be the last part that touches a relaxer. even though ouchless ponytail holders look non-damaging, they are. i rarely use ponytail holders. i use spin pins and good day hair pins, or satin scrunchies.

Thanks shortdub78!
I don't pull my hair back at all. I rarely wear ponytails but when I do, this part of my hair doesn't reach the ponytail holder. I use the rubber ouch less holders and good hair day pins. No gel or pomades either. Before my HHJ, my bangs were over processed and now I think they may be under processed because I still have lots of texture a few inches from the roots. I didn't know under processed hair cause breakage too. I cut about an inch from this area last night which was really only a fees thin strands. My hair is mush thicker 4 inches from the ends. I'm wondering if I should cut the thin over processed part?

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Kindheart said:
Hey Op ,check out my 2 year progress thread ,my hair was NL very damaged by heat and relaxer i trimmed off the damaged part little by little and grew my hair to (straigh) MBL .
my hair was NL /SL fot a long tine due to damage .If i have one suggestion is to cut the damage part and treat your healthy hair gently .

Thanks Kindheart,

Maybe that's why my nape hair really took off. I was clipping that hair on a regular basis because it always looked raggedy but not thin. I cut a little off last night, but I know it wasn't nearly enough. It was suggested by xu93texas that I do a good trim to get rid of my thin ends from when I was over processed, i think I will have it done at my next relaxer TU in August.

Thanks a lot, I'm going to check out your album:).

shortdub78 said:

Co-sign on all of this! When I joined LHCF, my bangs barely reached my eyebrows. The hair in this area was thin, broken, and over processed. Now, the hairs are CBL (I don't wear bangs) and healthier. I use castor oil on my scalp, make sure the hair is well moisturized, limited heat, and probably most importantly - I relax this area last and leave the relaxer on for a couple of minutes. A few times, I didn't relax that area at all. This area of my hair is a different texture and has a slower growth rate than the rest of my hair. Learning this has made a world of difference.

Sent from my Toshiba Thrive

Americka said:
Co-sign on all of this! When I joined LHCF, my bangs barely reached my eyebrows. The hair in this area was thin, broken, and over processed. Now, the hairs are CBL (I don't wear bangs) and healthier. I use castor oil on my scalp, make sure the hair is well moisturized, limited heat, and probably most importantly - I relax this area last and leave the relaxer on for a couple of minutes. A few times, I didn't relax that area at all. This area of my hair is a different texture and has a slower growth rate than the rest of my hair. Learning this has made a world of difference.

Americka,
Thanks! I moisturize and seal, I use no direct heat except for relaxer days and length checks. I have 4b hair, how do you maintain your hair's appearance when your hair is freshly relaxed but the bang area still has lots of new growth? This seems like a good idea, I'm just not sure how the NG in the one area, especially the front will look.

KiWiStyle said:
Americka,
Thanks! I moisturize and seal, I use no direct heat except for relaxer days and length checks. I have 4b hair, how do you maintain your hair's appearance when your hair is freshly relaxed but the bang area still has lots of new growth? This seems like a good idea, I'm just not sure how the NG in the one area, especially the front will look.

I guess it depends on how you choose to wear your hair. I usually wear a headband whether my hair is in a braidout, ponytail, or curly from flexirods. I only skip relaxing that area if the growth was minimal - less than an inch. I relax every 14 or so weeks.

Americka said:
I guess it depends on how you choose to wear your hair. I usually wear a headband whether my hair is in a braidout, ponytail, or curly from flexirods. I only skip relaxing that area if the growth was minimal - less than an inch. I relax every 14 or so weeks.

I think I'll make my silk headbands my best friend from now on.

Re: Have you recovered from damaged, short and thin bangs? Please share your secrets

This thread is right on time. I swear I have had bangs for 15 years but only cut them once at 14 years old. That area just will not grow out. I just trimmed everything overprocessed last time my hair was out and I hope I got some growth/retention this time around.

I too was a victim of short, thin and damaged bangs smh...honestly the only thing that really helped me was protective styles and now my bangs are pass my chin for the first time ever. I used to feel that i could grow my hair without PS but I was in denial lol

For me protective styles is a must for me to retain length.

irisak said:
This thread is right on time. I swear I have had bangs for 15 years but only cut them once at 14 years old. That area just will not grow out. I just trimmed everything overprocessed last time my hair was out and I hope I got some growth/retention this time around.

Hi irisak,
I hope the trim really get your bangs growing. It's disheartening to do everything right and make progress all over your head accept one area. I'll be watching for your progress.

IMFOCSD said:
I too was a victim of short, thin and damaged bangs smh...honestly the only thing that really helped me was protective styles and now my bangs are pass my chin for the first time ever. I used to feel that i could grow my hair without PS but I was in denial lol

For me protective styles is a must for me to retain length.

IMFOCSD, I love your username, sounds like a great license plate, lol!!

I am in total agreement with protective styling. There is no way I can grow longer hair without it, my very fine strands break with ease with too much manipulation. I'm going to have my bangs cut to just above nose length, it's thicker at this point. One thing though, I really don't know how to protect this area:-(. Seeing that it's short, the hairs really don't reach to my protective styles, even though it's not loose, it's still subject to the elements.

Has anyone twisted that area back into a protective style???

Last edited:
Does anyone have any pics of protective styles that protect the bang area? I don't wear wigs, weaves or Extension braids, my scalp perspire too much for these. So far I've learned my bang hair is most likely:

1. Previously over processed
2. Not protected well enough
3. Need to trim all the old damaged ends.

I would like for all of us to keep each other posted on our progress. I'll take a picture of my bangs when I get my relaxer and trim in a few weeks and use that as a starting point. Please feel free to post pics of your current bang status and tmprogress. I need inspiration and motivation as I have been suffering from this problem for years.

How about it ladies, let's get these bangs bangin'!!

My hairline area (front portion of my hair) used to be terrible. All broken off and spikey if I pulled it back.

I stopped using heat and would wet set that area with flat 2 strand twists of cornrows. Would also use alot of castor oil on my scalp. Now I have fully grown out the damage and my area is down to my chin.

Bublin said:
My hairline area (front portion of my hair) used to be terrible. All broken off and spikey if I pulled it back.

I stopped using heat and would wet set that area with flat 2 strand twists of cornrows. Would also use alot of castor oil on my scalp. Now I have fully grown out the damage and my area is down to my chin.

Thanks Bublin,
I like that idea! How do you flat 2 strand twist?? Do you have any pictures of your styles with the twists?

Thanks @Bublin,
I like that idea! How do you flat 2 strand twist?? Do you have any pictures of your styles with the twists?

@KiWiStyle Here is an old pic of me airdrying in cornrows and braids (excuse the dirty mirror :look:)

Untitled.jpg

My hairline is so delicate. I now do the front in 3 seperate rows. The front middle, left side, then right side. They are also a little thicker in the pic than i do them now - but you get the idea. I moisturise and re-do every night. A pomade on the ends to avoid tangles/breakage. My hair is never left out/loose overnight.

I'm rubbish at flat twisting but I'm not doing it to wear out, just to dry my hair. Check out Youtube for how to 2 strand flat twist or cornrow. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hB5jwFbPPAs

Bublin said:
KiWiStyle Here is an old pic of me airdrying in twists (excuse the dirty mirror :look:)

My hairline is so delicate. I now do the front in 3 seperate rows. The front middle, left side, then right side. They are also a little thicker in the pic than i do them now - but you get the idea. I moisturise and re-do every night. A pomade on the ends to avoid tangles/breakage. My hair is never left out/loose overnight.

I'm rubbish at flat twisting but I'm not doing it to wear out, just to dry my hair. Check out Youtube for how to 2 strand flat twist or cornrow. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hB5jwFbPPAs

Girl your bangs are nice and juicy!! It look like a braid. I have a lot of work to do, thanks for the picture!

^^^ I edited my post to say the pic has braids, not twists!

@IMFOCSD, I love your username, sounds like a great license plate, lol!!

I am in total agreement with protective styling. There is no way I can grow longer hair without it, my very fine strands break with ease with too much manipulation. I'm going to have my bangs cut to just above nose length, it's thicker at this point. One thing though, I really don't know how to protect this area:-(. Seeing that it's short, the hairs really don't reach to my protective styles, even though it's not loose, it's still subject to the elements.

Has anyone twisted that area back into a protective style???

KiWiStyle thanks, it is my license plate name lol...my main ps is wearing wigs so i just flat twist my hair, put on a stocking cap followed by my wig and go :yep:

Rollersetting helped get my hair back in track...my hair had been dyed multiple times and had blond streaks bleached in, I was flat ironing allot the time and always wore my bang out...finally I just had to push them back, I cut them to probably and inch n half long and just rollerset every week. Wrapped my hair every night and when I did wear my hair down I pushed my bangs to the side and held it there with a bobby pin...make sure your getting rid of the damaged parts and give it time..good luck =)

Does anyone have any pics of protective styles that protect the bang area? I don't wear wigs, weaves or Extension braids, my scalp perspire too much for these. So far I've learned my bang hair is most likely:

1. Previously over processed
2. Not protected well enough
3. Need to trim all the old damaged ends.

I would like for all of us to keep each other posted on our progress. I'll take a picture of my bangs when I get my relaxer and trim in a few weeks and use that as a starting point. Please feel free to post pics of your current bang status and tmprogress. I need inspiration and motivation as I have been suffering from this problem for years.

How about it ladies, let's get these bangs bangin'!!

i roller set and wear it curly. once the curls fall, i just swoop my bangs back behind my ears and wear my bun. if they are short, you can just pin them down with a pretty hair friendly clip.

Rollersetting helped get my hair back in track...my hair had been dyed multiple times and had blond streaks bleached in, I was flat ironing allot the time and always wore my bang out...finally I just had to push them back, I cut them to probably and inch n half long and just rollerset every week. Wrapped my hair every night and when I did wear my hair down I pushed my bangs to the side and held it there with a bobby pin...make sure your getting rid of the damaged parts and give it time..good luck =)

Thanks Mjon912

I tried rollersetting, the breakage was too much to do it on a regular basis. My hair is healthier and a bit stronger now, maybe I'll revisit it seeing as everybody here with long hair says it helped them too.

i roller set and wear it curly. once the curls fall, i just swoop my bangs back behind my ears and wear my bun. if they are short, you can just pin them down with a pretty hair friendly clip.

shortdub78,

I usually wear my hair straight back, bangs included. Back before lhcf, I wore my bangs to the side and had a permanent part which I've recently managed to get rid of. A few months ago, I did twist (onw twupist) the bang and clipped it back, maybe I'll trim the rest of the damage off and twist it back. Thanks!

I've had short "bangs" for YEARS, over 8 years. It started when it became in style to wet ur hair and add mousse to it, I raked combs through it then put on a headband smh. The hair broke off right at the headband line. On top of that was the constant over processing b because it is hard to put s relaxer onto 2- 3 inches of hair without overlapping. At one point my bangs turned BLONDE... ON THEIR OWN!!

What helped was to stop the manipulation and relaxing. I did a deep cut of the hair and then eventually did a full head weave with closure for months and now the hair that for EIGHT years would not get past my eyebrows is now touching my top lip in less than a year.

Good luck!!

Carmelella said:
I've had short "bangs" for YEARS, over 8 years. It started when it became in style to wet ur hair and add mousse to it, I raked combs through it then put on a headband smh. The hair broke off right at the headband line. On top of that was the constant over processing b because it is hard to put s relaxer onto 2- 3 inches of hair without overlapping. At one point my bangs turned BLONDE... ON THEIR OWN!!

What helped was to stop the manipulation and relaxing. I did a deep cut of the hair and then eventually did a full head weave with closure for months and now the hair that for EIGHT years would not get past my eyebrows is now touching my top lip in less than a year.

Good luck!!

Carmelella,

That's a lot of growth in one year. That's the thing, I seriously can't wear wigs, weaves or micro braids . I know if I can completely hide my hair I could get Passed this hump. Thanks for your advice.

I am at this point again in my hair journey. Not sure what got me back here but I can say I do know how to fix it.

What I did last time was relax only every 6 months and I wore my hair in back to back monthly sew-ins (so basically leaving it alone....literally). I have pixs BRB!

ETA: I thought I had pics of the front at the beginning of my HHJ but I must have deleted them. If you go to my fotki and look in the 2nd year album you will see them as they got longer and thicker. I am trying to get back there.....

Last edited:
ZebraPrintLover said:
I am at this point again in my hair journey. Not sure what got me back here but I can say I do know how to fix it.

What I did last time was relax only every 6 months and I wore my hair in back to back monthly sew-ins (so basically leaving it alone....literally). I have pixs BRB!

ETA: I thought I had pics of the front at the beginning of my HHJ but I must have deleted them. If you go to my fotki and look in the 2nd year album you will see them as they got longer and thicker. I am trying to get back there.....

Thanks ZebraPrintLover,

It looking like I'm on the right track with stretching my relaxers. I'm stretching for 16 weeks this time, hopefully I'll see a difference sometime within the next year.

^^^^You will, you should see something w/in the nxt 6 months or so.

KiWiStyle,
Hey girl, I won't be of much help since my bangs tend to grow without any problems. My nape and edges are my areas that need improvement. Currently, my bangs are chin length.

You've received great advice thus far. I agree with you that you should trim your bangs if your hair is damaged or appears thin. As for as protective styling is concerned you can swoop your bangs to the side and wear that pretty updo you created with the flower. That'd be too cute!:grin:

Back