Have you ever used a moisturizer as a conditioner?

Have you ever used a moisturizer as a conditioner?

• yes, I have and I loved the results!

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • no, but I would like to try this!

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • yes, I've tried it but it's just not for me

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • no, I haven't tried it... and I never will.

Votes: 13 56.5%

• Total voters

thinkpinkprincess

I hope that doing this is okay... :look:

I've done it before with KO Shea Butter moisturizer, as well as ORS Carrot Oil. I saturated my slightly damp hair with it, baggyed overnight, and rinsed out the excess the following day. The result? Super soft, moisturized hair! :yep:

I think this might be good for ladies who are having a hard time finding a highly moisturizing/ low protein conditioner, or for those who need something extra moisturizing after a protein treatment. SO what do y'all think? Has anybody else ever done this?

Hrrrm. That's an interesting thought. I use so much conditioner, though, that might get really expensive really quick.

People use conditioners as moisturizers... I don't see why it would be so bad.

I have yet to see a moisturizer that I'd like to use as a conditioner though. The formulas that I've seen aren't really any better than the conditioners themselves...

Plus they do usually some in little jars and bottles, that's a good point.

People use conditioners as moisturizers... I don't see why it would be so bad.

I have yet to see a moisturizer that I'd like to use as a conditioner though. The formulas that I've seen aren't really any better than the conditioners themselves...

Plus they do usually some in little jars and bottles, that's a good point.

well some conditioners do.. but the ones that I personally use don't come in big bottles, and cost about twice as much :grin:

and you can make your own moisturizer really... I plan on doing this as soon as I have the money. You could use stuff such as avocado butter, mango butter, honey, honeyquat, glycerin, aloe juice, grapeseed oil, sweet almond oil, SAA, etc. etc. etc.

or add some of these to your fave moisturizer :yep:

Last edited:
well some do.. but the ones that I personally use don't come in big bottles, and cost about twice as much :grin:

and you can make your own moisturizer really... I plan on doing this as soon as I have the money. You could use stuff such as avocado butter, mango butter, honey, honeyquat, glycerin, aloe juice, grapeseed oil, sweet almond oil, SAA, etc. etc. etc.

or add some of these to your fave moisturizer :yep:

Oh, half that stuff goes in my DC/moisturizer already! :lol: Yeah, I definitely use the same add-in ingredients in my DC's that I do in my leave-ins' - shoot, most of my leave-ins almost are DC's!

I just started doing this as an alternative to my normal leave-in this week and so far so good. I take 1.5 tbs of my AO Rosa Mosqueta lotion and put it in 8 oz of distilled water. Mix together in a spray bottle; I also heat it up a bit to help the lotion go into solution. I didn't use any conditioner or shampoo. I just rinsed my hair and then used the lotion solution as a detangler/leave-in when I set my hair and it came out great, even a bit shiny, but very soft. It was even soft the next day after I slept in a satin bonnet by www.[B]maverick[/B]wear.com.

I'll keep doing it longer to see if the long term effects are consistently good. If it works, it means I don't need to use a separate oil to seal the moisture and I can then only use conditioner when I deep condition and shampoo once a week. I can just rinse my hair on the other days and use the lotion solution. I hope it works out that way.

If I'm trying to get rid of them, I'll melt them and add an oil blend or whatever oils I'm trying to get rid of, then I stir them into my Motions Moisture Plus. Fabulous results!:thumbsup:

If I'm trying to get rid of them, I'll melt them and add an oil blend or whatever oils I'm trying to get rid of, then I stir them into my Motions Moisture Plus. Fabulous results!:thumbsup:

I used to use ORS Olive oil moisturizer as a leave-in but I learned that my hair likes something more watery.

I use either aPhogee Balance Moisturizer or Pantene Moisturizing Hydrater instead of regular conditioners. Two of the most amazing product on the market:yep::drunk::yep:

Sort of....At least once a week, when I have a few knots, tangles and mats (like three as I do not really get them any longer thanks to my consistent use of aloe vera) after my co-wash, I will spritz on some of my aloe vera moisture mist leave-in and rub in one or a combo of my creamy leave-in which include: (Surya volume reducer with tucuma butter, Surya color fixation with buriti oil, Kan Kanchomn amazonia herb and another KK leave-in, Aveda elixir, Sheamoisture shea butter leave-in, Vitale olive oil moisturizer) and let it sit in my hair for a few minutes and get in the shower and it will just melt those last stubborn knots, mats and tangles away. I will then re-apply both (mist and creamy leave-in) lightly and seal. My hair loves it when I do this and the next day, my hair is just hangs down nicely. I have plenty of my ingredients for my moisture mist and plenty of creamy leave-ins, so I don't mind those days when I have to do this as I am also using up excess product.

Hrrrm. That's an interesting thought. I use so much conditioner, though, that might get really expensive really quick.
Well i use ors olive oil moisturizer and the jar can run anywhere from $6-$10 depending on the size. I couldn't waste my money like that.:ohwell:

I'm way to scared. I already cowash on most days. So keeping condish in w/ out washing it out might be overkill :perplexed

Back