Have any of you ever experienced adverse side effects from hair products ?

The smell is :lick:, but it was too :lick: for my allergies. However, I did discover my hair loves BTMS (behentrimonium methosulfate) so now I make sure most of my products contain this ingredient. So out of a scary moment came a positive thing.

My hair loves this ingredient, my main leave-in has it (Jessicurl Aloeba daily conditioner).

I think I may be allergic to sythetic hair, or at least some. I got braids once and my scalp itched like crazy and so did my neck.

I am also wondering what product and I using now that is turning a section of hair in the middle gray. Is it the sulfur, JBCO, daily cowashing or the spirilina? Anyone have a clue?

you were probably allergic to a specific ingredient, that could be found in any product. you're not putting them on "blast." it's no one's fault, so don't be afraid to speak up. :yep:

ITA. Well said. There are things that I can't use AT ALL. It doesn't mean that they're not good products, it's just that "I" tend to have allergic reactions to them.

I can understand the product makers being concerned about their reputation (folks tend to RUN when they hear anything that can be perceived as negative), however if I were making products, I'd definitely want to know if someone had a reaction so I could come up with a better non irritating formula or issue a disclaimer.

EDTA: Yes I've had some reactions. Cantu Shea Butter whatever that crap is messed me up pretty bad. Migraines, itching, and my skin was sore to the touch from my scalp to my face and neck. V05 Moisture Milk (strawberries & cream) left me with chemical burns. :nono:

Last edited:
I am allergic to Sulfur; I found this out when I purchased Bee Mine Serum.

I had an allergic reaction to Batik weave. My back and neck had welts all over it.

ITA. Well said. There are things that I can't use AT ALL. It doesn't mean that they're not good products, it's just that "I" tend to have allergic reactions to them.

I can understand the product makers being concerned about their reputation (folks tend to RUN when they hear anything that can be perceived as negative), however if I were making products, I'd definitely want to know if someone had a reaction so I could come up with a better non irritating formula or issue a disclaimer.

EDTA: Yes I've had some reactions. Cantu Shea Butter whatever that crap is messed me up pretty bad. Migraines, itching, and my skin was sore to the touch from my scalp to my face and neck. V05 Moisture Milk (strawberries & cream) left me with chemical burns. :nono:

I had this problem with BT - although everyone else raves about it, it made large chunks of my scalp peel off and the chunks looked burnt. Strangely enough didn't hurt, but when I relaxed my hair 2 weeks after discontinuing using it, my head was on fire! It's a shame cos I got a complimentary bottle because the order took so long to arrive, plus I had to pay ccustom duty on it!

Aubrey Organics.. The entire line made me break out in hives around my hair line. I would never touch an AO bottle again in my LIFE!

I had an allergic interaction between Shea Moisture Milk and benzyl peroxide that I had applied to my face prior to doing my hair. My face looked like the Stay Puft Marshmallow man.
images

Wow OP it did all THAT?!! I'm about to PM you because I certainly would not want to buy that hot mess! LOL

I got a wicked bad reaction to a sulfur concoction I put together 3 years ago. I got 3 pimples the size of babies and I also got a very bad rash on my neck that to this day isn't 100% healed. I see these sulfur challenges and I do the sign of the cross on my monitor LOL

I have no ill will towards the lady who made the product. I just am now more careful and only go with store bought or highly reputable brands. But bloggers need to be careful about recommending hair products in my opinion.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing OP. I don't think you are putting the vendor on blast. At least two other posters had issues with the same line. I appreciate you all sharing the information with us.

That was very wrong for the vendor to block you instead of apologizing or offering you a gift or something. Just bad business! :nono:

That was very wrong for the vendor to block you instead of apologizing or offering you a gift or something. Just bad business! :nono:

Yeah, I was hurt by that. But it wasn't the vendor who block me. It was the person who has a hairsite that had been advertising and recommending the product who had blocked me.

Mega-tek thinned my hair out really badly. I had grown all the way to bsl only to have to cut my hair back to sl because the ends were so thin .

That's messed up, thanks for sharing.
Yeah, I was hurt by that. But it wasn't the vendor who block me. It was the person who has a hairsite that had been advertising and recommending the product who had blocked me.

Sent from my Zio using Long Hair Care Forum App

i dont know what it is but one of the products im using is causing me to break out on my cheeks&neck since i leave my hair out 80% of the time. I just cant find out which one it is,i think it's one of my conditioners but i rotate between Organix, HE, Garnier fructis, &Suave so its been hard for me to find out which one is causing my breakouts but i think it might be the Suave. Its really upsetting b/c i looove Suave[especially the almond&shea butter] but my breakouts are getting pretty bad&ive always had near-perfect skin

Has anyone else experienced breakouts from conditioners?

:yep: at the bold, I had the same reaction with my scalp. I thought it was my scalp being its sensitive self - but I had a burning sensation within seconds of putting it on. I tried to figure out the ingredients that affected me so I can avoid it in the future but like some other poster said, don't really have a clue.:ohwell:

I am sorry to hear that you had such a bad reaction to some hair products. It probably was the sulfur in the products that made you have such a bad reaction. I know from experience that too much sulfur breaks me out.

Back