Have Any of You Ever Cut Your Own Layers?

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
I'm getting the itch to do something different with my hair, but I wouldn't trust a stylist to cut my hair. I was just wondering if it might be possible to do it myself, not major layers, just slight ones.

I haven't tried it, but you can use the crea clip for layers. I think someone made a thread about it before, and there are videos on youtube.

Sent from my HTC Evo

Hi Supergirl, it's Lana.

Yes, I have cut my own layers. I learned how to do it by googling "How to cut layers" and I read the little how to guide.

One of the easiest ways was for me to part the hair in the middle and then section the right and left sides all the way to the back at the top of my ear going around the head.

Then I section starting at the bottom layer. I trim that layer (because it will be my longest layer - trim a tiny little bit) then I section by working my way to the top/crown.

I pull the hair straight out comb through and snip.

You should measure each layer against the one beneath it. That way you get a full layered look.

I finally grew all of my layers out - which took forever for me. But I keep it feathered in the front to shape my face.

The other technique that I like for soft layers that flow into each other...you section the hair just like I mentioned above and then you twist the section - I mean spin it around and around (not two strand twist) and then you snip the ends really blunt with sharp scissors. Do this for each section and you have really smooth layers that give the hair fullness.

I hope this helps someone. I remember years ago asking how to trim my own hair and someone told me to google it. Um, but that's why I pay my fee and post on a hair board, for hair advice. I don't trust google the way I trust LHCF.

Hopefully other DIY (Do-It-Yourself) ladies will post. I don't post pictures often but Supergirl if you want a picture of my midback length hair curled, I can pm you. Just let me know. Thanks!

Back