Havana Twists

iamyattababe

So I'm planning on doing some Havana twists in my hair sometime this week or next using the invisible root method. Any suggestions, tips, techniques will be greatly appreciated!

I'm bumping for answers. I have installed small and chunky Havana/ seng. Twists twice now and I can't do the invisible root method as it slips to much in my very fine hair. I braid at the root and then twist. I use yarn and you can't tell and it comes out well. The only problem I have is braids slipping after a few days. I make sure they are tight but no matter what they still slip...

cwmarie can help you on this one. She's good at doing them.

In fact, I think she just installed some according to her IG. :yep:

Just put some in yesterday. :)

I like to use a little little moisturizer and Pomade on each piece of hair before twists. Then a little gel once it's just marley hair I'm twisting.

I saw a YouTube video that explained the invisible root method by splitting the section of hair into two, you then want to twists the marley hair counter clockwise into your hair (you do this with each piece), then take the two pieces and twists them clockwise to make the actual twists.

I also don't try to twist to tight. I'll twist about half way, let the twist go so unravels a little, then keep going. Gives a more uniform sized twists so they are not lumpy looking. I use two pieces per section of hair.... Well mostly. I used a couple of single pieces in the front cause I was running low on hair lol.

These are pics from my previous two sets. Don't have a finished pic from the ones I put in yesterday

ForumRunner_20140707_152205.jpg

ForumRunner_20140707_152242.jpg

Last edited:
I have been practicing on my leave out, I've had a sew in for about 2 months. Idk about anyone else but when I get a bright idea I run with it regardless of my current style lol. I'm so ready for them even though I know how much of a perfectionist I can be, but from my practice I think I do ok

Just put some in yesterday. :) I like to use a little little moisturizer and Pomade on each piece of hair before twists. Then a little gel once it's just marley hair I'm twisting. I saw a YouTube video that explained the invisible root method by splitting the section of hair into two, you then want to twists the marley hair counter clockwise into your hair (you do this with each piece), then take the two pieces and twists them clockwise to make the actual twists. I also don't try to twist to tight. I'll twist about half way, let the twist go so unravels a little, then keep going. Gives a more uniform sized twists so they are not lumpy looking. I use two pieces per section of hair.... Well mostly. I used a couple of single pieces in the front cause I was running low on hair lol. These are pics from my previous two sets. Don't have a finished pic from the ones I put in yesterday

Great job!! Looks awesome! I seem to be doing well with the invisible root method. I just take my time making sure I'm twisting everything but not pulling to right. About how long does it take you? Well the first couple of times, cause you got it now girl! Lol :)

Thank you!

Great job!! Looks awesome! I seem to be doing well with the invisible root method. I just take my time making sure I'm twisting everything but not pulling to right. About how long does it take you? Well the first couple of times, cause you got it now girl! Lol :)

Thank you!

Thanks! Takes me about four hours with snack breaks and taking the dog out in between lol.

cwmarie what kind of hair did you use? They look so nice, neat & uniform

Just regular ol' marley hair out the BSS. I don't have a particular brand I stick too because I can never find the same kind twice.

Just put some in yesterday. :)

I like to use a little little moisturizer and Pomade on each piece of hair before twists. Then a little gel once it's just marley hair I'm twisting.

I saw a YouTube video that explained the invisible root method by splitting the section of hair into two, you then want to twists the marley hair counter clockwise into your hair (you do this with each piece), then take the two pieces and twists them clockwise to make the actual twists.

I also don't try to twist to tight. I'll twist about half way, let the twist go so unravels a little, then keep going. Gives a more uniform sized twists so they are not lumpy looking. I use two pieces per section of hair.... Well mostly. I used a couple of single pieces in the front cause I was running low on hair lol.

These are pics from my previous two sets. Don't have a finished pic from the ones I put in yesterday

View attachment 267967

View attachment 267971

cwmarie, arent you like a few hours from me? "hint" I surely will come and let you pratice on me :)

:lachen:

She does a good job doesn't she shawnyblazes? :lol:

I let my sister put mine in when I get them. She's gotten very good with the invisible method.

In fact, after this next set of braids, I will be rocking these until the year end (different sets).

I know I need to try them myself with my lazy butt lol...

I'm bumping for answers. I have installed small and chunky Havana/ seng. Twists twice now and I can't do the invisible root method as it slips to much in my very fine hair. I braid at the root and then twist. I use yarn and you can't tell and it comes out well. The only problem I have is braids slipping after a few days. I make sure they are tight but no matter what they still slip...

curlytwirly06

you can try AfricanExport's method. She only twists one side of the base.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHlqnPqr644

So I did my twists yesterday.. 3.5 pks and almost 4 hours breaks included. I LOVE them!! Wasn't even tired was just knocking them out blasting music, thanks ladies for your help! :)

image-3781730147.jpg

Attachments

• image-3470120121.jpg
    image-3470120121.jpg
    431.2 KB · Views: 104
  • image-413616646.jpg
    image-413616646.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 91
i love havana twists. it takes me about an hour and a half to do my entire head.:yep: i only use one bag (sometimes marley, sometimes havana hair) because my job doesn't allow for bulky hair. i'm terrible at the invisible root method so i braid in 85% of my hair and only do the invisible method at the front.:look:

So I did my twists yesterday.. 3.5 pks and almost 4 hours breaks included. I LOVE them!! Wasn't even tired was just knocking them out blasting music, thanks ladies for your help! :)

How on earth do you go so fast? I do chunky Havana twists and they take me about 10 hours to finish. Also how big of a section of hair do you use? I have fine hair and low- medium density and I find my hairs always poking out. I always feel like I'm stuffing to much hair into the braid. Can you give me any advise? Maybe explain your technique? I have only don't two set of Havana twists and use yarn because it more gentle on my strands. The invisible root method does not work for me either . Do you get any slippage?

Back