Has Your Washing Hair Frequency Increased With Having Natural Hair?

Has your hair washing frequency increased since being natural.

• Yes

Votes: 13 33.3%
  • no

Votes: 12 30.8%
  • It’s about the same

Votes: 12 30.8%
  • It depends

Votes: 4 10.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yes, I'm a daily washer now that I'm natural and it has not hindered my retention at all. When I was relaxed I washed twice per week but now that I'm natural I wash with a gentle shampoo bar every morning before work. I just soak my hair and do a few swipes of the shampoo bar, scrub a little and rinse out, then detangle with a conditioner. Very low manipulation and have suffered no problems whatsoever.

It has reduced drastically for me. When I was relaxed, I washed daily. This was the reason for me getting past bra strap quickly.

I tried that since I’ve been natural and my hair tangles too badly and is so much more fragile - even though I braid it before washing. Plus I have to wear my scarf for about two hours just to make it not look so frizzy.

So now I wash every other week.

When I first went natural, I was a daily washer. (or wetter anyway)
As my hair is growing, and I'm becoming lazier, I now only wash on Sundays.
I've always attributed my hair growth to wetting everyday (like a plant was my philosophy) I'm curious if my growth slowed down with less frequent washing. I'll have to watch for my theory in the immediate future.

When I first went natural I washed more frequently. Now I wash every 2-3 weeks. I washed every 1-2 weeks when I was relaxed.
Exactly this. Even though I PROMISE myself that I’m going to wash weekly I just don’t want to detangle, manipulate, and spend so much time on my hair every week. I still haven’t admitted to myself that I’m an every other-week washer.

Nope!
Yes, I'm a daily washer now that I'm natural and it has not hindered my retention at all. When I was relaxed I washed twice per week but now that I'm natural I wash with a gentle shampoo bar every morning before work. I just soak my hair and do a few swipes of the shampoo bar, scrub a little and rinse out, then detangle with a conditioner. Very low manipulation and have suffered no problems whatsoever.
How long is your hair and what's your hair type?
Also what shampoo bar are you using?

Exactly this. Even though I PROMISE myself that I’m going to wash weekly I just don’t want to detangle, manipulate, and spend so much time on my hair every week. I still haven’t admitted to myself that I’m an every other-week washer.
Yep every two weeks here too. Well ideally anyways lol. It takes too much time to do it more often.

This right here sounds like a dream to me. Do you have a short cut ???

Yes! When my hair was in a TWA I would wash twice a week and wet it everyday. Now I wash it once a week. This is way better for my hair since I have eczema on my scalp.

When I was relaxed, my hair would get washed at the hair salon every 2-3 weeks.

My washing has gone down. When I was relaxed, I washed and treated my hair twice a week and now that I'm not, it happens once a week. I don't care to touch it that often anymore since detangling is harder to do now.

I feel like such a dirty bird, when I was relaxed I washed my hair every two weeks. I just did what momma told me to do :lol: Now I cowash daily, I shampoo once a week, sometimes twice if I just feel gross after a gym day and cowashing doesn't cut it.

It's not that I need to wash more, it's that I'm not afraid to. I had the misconception that you can't wash relaxed hair. :\

I washed once a week relaxed. I workout a whole lot more natural (have been since I have gone natural for 7 years) and I cleanse quite frequently to get rid of the sweat in my head (sometimes three, four times a week). My hair has actually been doing better washing more frequently than when I only cleansed weekly.

Kudos to people that can go longer. After a week, my scalp starts talking to me.

Back