Has your stylist ever

diamondlady

taken credit for your growth when he/she had very little to do with it? I saw my stylist in June for the first time since November. She couldn't fit me in to do a relaxer in March so I did it (carefully) myself. Now, I really like my stylist, she does some things right. She always deep conditions after a relaxer, she trims when you ask for a trim and doesn't give you a cut, and 70% of the time she does what you ask.

But... She has told me I wash my hair too much and I would wash away the natural oil. (I wash every 3 or 4 days no more than once a week).
She has told me it is not neccessary to air-dry my hair, I should go ahead and blow dry it.
She has tried to talk me into fusion, glued-in hair.
She tried to talk me into micro-braids with human hair.
She always flat irons and blow drys.

Recently when I went in to get my relaxer, my hair had grown about 3 inches since the last time I saw her, I could hardly believe my ears when she started bragging about growing my hair for me. She said "you really wouldn't believe how her hair looked before she started coming to me, I've worked wonders with her hair and now I've got it growing".

i can't believe the nerve of that woman!!!! trying to get credit for your work and dedication. from what you wrote she really seems like a good stylist, but why is she trying to talk you into stuff??? i would continue doing what you were doing these last couple of months and only go to her when you need a relaxer or a trim. but otherwise do your thing cause apparently it's been working for you great.
keep up the good work and happy growing,

nay:)

Diamondlady,

That's sweet. You know I am being sarcastic. Your stylist is using your own progress to drum up business for herself. That is not so hot in my book.

I know what I would have been tempted to do rather loudly: "Oh, YOU WISH!" That would have been the end of the relationship, too.

The only thing a stylist ever took credit for as far as my head was a beautiful rollerset.

~Jade~

My aunt has had long hair her whole life. She found a stylist that she liked but when she started that mess talking about how she made my aunt's hair grow....my aunt cut her off becasue it used to drive her crazy!!!!!

Yeah, when my hair went through a growth spurt, thanks to the hairboards, my then-stylist took credit for it, claiming he could grow hair. He too said washing my hair more than once a week was too much and always used A LOT of heat. I was going to him every other week back then (2 years ago). Then I found the internet hairboards, started doing more styling at home, decreased the salon visits, increased the protein, and started taking supplements like biotin. My hair reacted very positively.

Nay,

I'm definitely taking your advice. I like the fact that she trims instead of cuts and she deep conditions, but I only go every 3 or 4 months for a relaxer. I think she tries to talk me into stuff because of money.

Jade and daviine, It is so hard to find a half-way-good stylist so I let her take credit. After all, she is working on my "precious" hair, I don't want to upset her in any way. Jade, you're lucky your stylist rollersets, I mentioned I would like her to do that and she frowned and she, "You won't get enough body with a rollerset. Only old people do that anyway".

Nyambura, I too give the credit to the hair boards and all you ladies who are so sweet and helpful, sharing your wealth of information. But mention it to people and they think you're crazy. I've tried to turn people on to the board and they look at me like I have two heads.

Every stylist I have ever gone to tries to claim hair credit. And they act like I've been coming to them for years and that I had nothing to start with. And usually it's done when there's a new client around. Yep it's to drum up business. I usually go along with it if I think that my stylist is competent.

my number 1 stylist doesn't take credit, but she should. it's not that she was responsible for the growth, but thankfully, she wasn't responsible for any setbacks. that in itself is reason to take some credit!
laugh.gif
i really wish she used Affirm so i could go back to her all the time...
frown.gif

I used to get that all of the time, but I'd always let the stylist & anyone else who was around to hear it that "my mom" gets the credit, not the beautician. (this was back when i was a teen). I was never the type to bite my tongue with beauticians...

Now that's funny. You go to her for her treatments but what she fails to realize is that it is YOU that has to care for it doing all the RIGHT things YOU have been doing until your next appt. If what she thinks she was saying was true, then ALL of her clients hair would be "growing" out because of her! LOL

That's renk (sorry yardi moment), when my hair grows my stylist is like "Oh you have being taking better care of your hair, what have you done recently", never takes credit.

[ QUOTE ]
when my hair grows my stylist is like "Oh you have being taking better care of your hair, what have you done recently", never takes credit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine too!! I LOVE him!!!
smile.gif

Thanks for the responses. I didn't know whether I should be mad or if I was being petty. Adrienne makes a good point, at least she hasn't caused any set backs. I've experienced that in the past and it's very upsetting. Just think, you lose you hair and you pay for it. That why I started doing my own hair and just recently started going to the salon.

With so many of us growing our hair, I just wanted to see what was happening to everyone else.

HA YALL... I'M FEELIN' THAT!!
OK.... wearing MY braids, taking MY vitamins, using MY products, washing MY hair and spending ,MY MONEY AND TIME DESERVES SOMETHING YALL. Now my stylist is really great. I mean she does the deep conditioning and everything, great trims, styles ok. She uses the Paul Mitchell Line whcih is pretty good, but not good enough to grow my hair. SORRY...
but I did everything on my own. Here's the situation...
I have cornrows, so I get them re-done by her every 4-6 weeks. So now she's sayin'... oh I grew your, I made it healthy. And I'm like what??? Taking MY credit?? OH NO!\
And then yall guess what?? OK. the main hair stylist of the shop was having a baby so that means that Lisa my hair stylist had to take on all the other hair customers. Then ok... I walk and she's like "Paulette" IS GOING tO DO YOUR HAIR SO i'M LIKE OK. Now let me keep you in mine that most of my hair is natural and the rest has relaxed ends so my hair is very fragile. tO MAKE A long story short... she didn't know what she was doing. She literally raked my hair out when it was wet and tangled when you're supposed to put the detangling conditioner in first. STUPID STUFF RIGHT???
Then I'm sitting here with my hair all matted and tangled..... I mean my hair was coming outin hunks!! I told my stylist to NEVER let anyone else deal with my hair.

Back