HAS ANYONE LONG TRANSITION OR STRETCH WITH BUNS OR AM I ASKING FOR TROUBLE?

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I am considering doing a long transition or stretch with buns so I can hide my hair and manipulate my hair less. I have invested a lot of time in researching, but I really have no idea if long transitioning in a bun would be beneficial to my hair or its edges. Has anyone here done this? Since starting the ceramides challenge, my hair is easily coaxed in a bun. I am going to wean myself of the heat use during this time. I will not be relaxing my hair for a year. This will give me time to learn better hair care practices. I am one month down and raring to go.

Yes. I have bunned my whole transition. I started out wih above SL hair so my "buns were pin ups a first. My advice. DONOT try for tight buns or majorly brushed back edges. Scarfing works for smoothing edges.

I only used buns for a couple of weeks during my transition because I didn't like the way the line of demarcation looked. Also, the "half-ponytail" bun broke some of my hair off in the back. I preferred senegalese twists and braidouts during my transition. I'm 2 years-post relaxer today :)

Lots of people transition/stretch with buns.....if you have weak edges, you can alternate buns with braidouts and rollersets, refrain from using a hard brush to smooth, regularly massage your edges with oil, and alternate the position of your buns. I've never transitioned, but when I stretch, I like to keep my buns moist, if not wet by frequently co-washing.

...have you read any of the protective styling or long term transitioning threads?

if your strand density is not fine you should be good to go, mine is medium but fine around the edges so buns are a no go for me....except every once in a while.

I checked the Transition No BC thread, but I am looking for someone who just did this method. I am wondering whether it would be less manipulation to style my hair like this rather than a leave out style like twist out or braid out. I had a lot of tangling issues when I was natural due to wash n gos. I am going to start out this way until I can protective style, maybe.:yep: Anyway I can avoid daily manipulation.:lachen:

DD I would bun my hair afer a braidout or twist out and rebraid/twist every night. I never WNG. Eva Neva. Too mush breakage and tangles would happen.

I wear buns. And in October I'll have been transitioning 2 years. It's not really less manipulation for me though because I redo my bun almost everyday/every other day :look: My hair tangles a lot too :( If I wear my hair out i'll braid my hair in pigtails at night and take them out in the morning but I like to wear the pigtails for a couple days and then wear it out.

It could be less manipulation though. If you bun for a few days - a week, wear a braid out for a few days and then start over?

Anyway, good luck with your transition!
(My actual advise is to get your hair braided and get a wig. Mostly because that's what I really want to do now.)

At this time I am transitioning to natural and I am wearing a bun and I put a phony ponytail over it. Since I have been using wheat germ oil in my deep condition it makes it much easier for me to put my hair in a bun with my shrinkage. Also I do not use a brush to put my hair in a bun, I use eco styler olive oil hair gel and my hands.

Back