Depression from wearing buns

Maybe try hair sticks, or a fancy bun. But there are many other ways to reach your goals than just bunning all the time.. Hair should be enjoyed, it shouldn't be a cause for depression. :nono:

ITA! I have decided that if styles make me feel sad, I should not be wearing them:nono:. My happiness is not based on something as frivolous as hair. Sure we want to reach goals, but there should be other cute ways of achieving this. I have now started to wear buns since my hair has grown out. What I have noticed is that I love to wear my buns positioned up instead of near the back. Sometimes minor changes make a whole lot of difference:yep:.

i could never get 'depressed' by wearing buns! All I can think of is the progress that I've had in the past 6 months of being natural by bunning. When I cut off all my relaxed ends I was left with NL hair and now, I'm almost back to APL by bunning!

May I suggest you do alternate protective styles? Try a rollerset, braid out or twistout to spice things up a bit. You don't have to sacrifice progress to look glam!

When my hair was longer and relaxed, I wore buns ALL the time because I had ballet in between classes, and I loved them. I always did the messy buns and I thought they were so easy and cute. Now, I can't wait until my hair is long enough to bun, but I would not bun to PS all the time because well, to be honest, I don't see the point of it (at least not for me). I want to show that I can grow my hair out without psing all the time, because if I psed to reach my length goal, wouldn't I be scared that once I started wearing my hair out I'd damage it? I just wouldn't want to feel dependent on it, like I couldn't wear my hair out.

i could never get 'depressed' by wearing buns! All I can think of is the progress that I've had in the past 6 months of being natural by bunning. When I cut off all my relaxed ends I was left with NL hair and now, I'm almost back to APL by bunning!

May I suggest you do alternate protective styles? Try a rollerset, braid out or twistout to spice things up a bit. You don't have to sacrifice progress to look glam!

Thanks girl, but i have 4a/b hair. I don't know if its possible to make a rolleret look nice with my texture of hair. Correct me if im wrong. Congrats on the progress!

I've never had hair long enough to make a bun with my real hair. But, I know when I used to wear phony buns I wasn't too fond of them, I'm just not one of those people who looks too nice with my hair pulled straight back. It can get a bit disheartening.

Now, I wear half wigs, I like this look MUCH better as my daily style. And its super low maintenance

Looking at ur siggy OP, if my hair was that long and lush I'd probably be trying to floss fairly often:lachen:Maybe not everyday, but I'd definitely have it out on occassion.

Thanks girl, but i have 4a/b hair. I don't know if its possible to make a rolleret look nice with my texture of hair. Correct me if im wrong. Congrats on the progress!

Oh it's definitely possible! I have more 4a than 3c and rollersets come out great on my hair! I've also seen many YT videos with natural 4a/b doing great rollersets.

One of our own 4b beauties Mwedzi has a video tutorial on a rollerset as well :yep:

YouTube - Roller Setting Natural Black Hair

I say experiment with trying different protective styles to see which one(s) you like best so you don't have to feel down about having your hair tucked away all the time.

Oh it's definitely possible! I have more 4a than 3c and rollersets come out great on my hair! I've also seen many YT videos with natural 4a/b doing great rollersets.

One of our own 4b beauties Mwedzi has a video tutorial on a rollerset as well :yep:

YouTube - Roller Setting Natural Black Hair

I say experiment with trying different protective styles to see which one(s) you like best so you don't have to feel down about having your hair tucked away all the time.

thanks a lot girl. im going to check out the vid now!

i feel you. when i was natural and couldn't wear buns i was so upset. but now that i'm relaxed and wear them all the time i've come to hate them. :lol:

i just don't feel cute with them, and i think the ****ty weather is contributing to that.:swearing:

i feel you. when i was natural and couldn't wear buns i was so upset. but now that i'm relaxed and wear them all the time i've come to hate them. :lol:

i just don't feel cute with them, and i think the ****ty weather is contributing to that.:swearing:

Right i feel so much cuter with my hair down!

I love buns. I never get sick of them, but I change my hair to protect my edges from always being in tension. One thing I like to do to protect my ends is my faux bob. I do a braid out or twist out, then gather my hair in a loose low ponytail, then roll the ponytail up, tuck and pin. So it kind of looks like a bob, but your ends are still tucked in and protected.

Sometimes I get tired of buns. Sometimes I get tired of wearing my hair down. So, I mix it up a lot. Right now, I'm wearing my hair down on the weekends and mostly up during the week.

Sometimes I get tired of buns. IT happens every few months. And when I get tired f wearing buns I just stop. Simple as that. I start wearing braidouts on a regular basis or half wigs or I'll straighten. Don't be afraid to switch it up and wear your hair down when you want. To make things easier so you feel like you are still retaining length, you can bun throughout the week and wear your hair down on the weekends. So, I've been bunning non-stop so far this year and this weekend I will wear a braidout. Haven't decided what I will do next week. But do what makes you feel happy. As long as you practice low manipulation styling, you should be fine. As far as male attention, I think I receive the same amount because it's the way I carry myself. With a bun and some cute earrings (normally big hoops) and a bit of makeup, I start feeling myself alot so I think what matters is your self-confidence.

I have been wearing my bun since I started transitioning in 2007 :nono:
My hair is funny, for the life of me I cannot manage to keep my hair looking fresh for more than one day.
I do the occasional "style" but since it doesn't last more than a day, I don't do then too often.
I like the bun, you can always "dress" it up or down and it really fits any occasion.

I hate wearing buns and I guess I'm paying for it because my hair is the same length as it was last year :cry3:

I don't see a problem with you wearing your hair down every once in a while, though.

For those who bun, do you think you receive more male attention from men when you wear it down? I don't know, it just seems like men like when a woman wears her hair down.

If you aren't feeling your best I would wear it out more. Your don't want to spend 364 days a year feeling unsexy for 1 day length check.:nono:

Definitely more attention when down :yep:. I mean a lot of attention.
I had a bun habit from back in the day and I liked wearing them. Looking back I wore buns way too much. This started when I was in high school through college. I would get my hair done but after a week it made it's way back to a bun. This had nothing to do with intentional protective styling but probably kept hair on my head.

So now I try to wear it out more but I still alternate with the buns if my hair is feeling dry. I do braidouts on my out days with plenty of moisturizing product.

I'm suffering from braid/twist depression. I am trying to grow out my TWA length before I let anyone at my college see my hair, sooooooooooo boring.

:ohwell::perplexed:sad:

I go in and out of this phase sometimes. But just as most of the ladies said...why don't you alternate? Wear your hair in buns during the weekday and let it "breathe" on the weekends?
As for myself...I will bun from Monday to Wednesday....then to finish out the week I'll just have my hair "pinned up" into some messy (yet cute) kinda updo. And I must say..it really flatters me :yep:. I get compliments and equal male attention.
Try some hair jewelry, sticks...half-wigs. Do what you need to do to keep your confidence at an all-time high and STILL retain length, chick!

I love buns. I never get sick of them, but I change my hair to protect my edges from always being in tension. One thing I like to do to protect my ends is my faux bob. I do a braid out or twist out, then gather my hair in a loose low ponytail, then roll the ponytail up, tuck and pin. So it kind of looks like a bob, but your ends are still tucked in and protected.

Hey Carolinagal!
Do you have a pic of this style? I was trying really hard to visualize it..but it's jst not coming to me @ all lol.

I feel you on the bun depression...now that I think about it i don't wear buns often anymore. Have you tried other protective styling options like textured halfwigs??

I know how you feel. I hate wearing my hair up but I decided to try the whole protective styling thing for the new year. So far, I have been wearing a bun and it has been boring but I promised myself I would find new ways to spice it up. So I haven't found any yet but I am looking for some. When I find out I will definitely let you know about them.

I know how you feel. I hate wearing my hair up but I decided to try the whole protective styling thing for the new year. So far, I have been wearing a bun and it has been boring but I promised myself I would find new ways to spice it up. So I haven't found any yet but I am looking for some. When I find out I will definitely let you know about them.

Thanks girl! Don't forget, please!

I started PSn with buns for reasons unrelated to growth and retention -- for me, it was to address adult acne. I had a flare up in 2010 and started making small changes in my lifestyle in an effort to combat acne. Now, that I've got this acne thing almost beat, PSn is just a way of life. If I retain length, great but that was never the primary goal. I participate in all the challenges because I would be "hiding my hair" anyways. I wear it down every now and then and too keep a scrunchi or some kind of clip on hand that I can use to pin it up out my way. I want to enjoy my hair, not tuck it away forever.

A bun would be my last option also..I would wear braids and weave before I would wear a bun daily...I would different bun or wear weave. I am currently wearing weaves because a bald ptch I have

I can't take this thread seriously. Why are you forcing yourself to wear a style you don't like?? It's your friggin hair, no one is standing over you with a whip making you bun 7 days a week. I do it because buns are convenient and classy -- the retention is just a nice side effect. If you hate it so much that you are envying other girls at school (which leads to a whole new thread, IMO) then wear it down!!

Also, I have never NOT had a guy chase me or show interest because my hair is in a bun. That is just absurd. As a matter of fact, I get more compliments when my hair is back because it shows off my face and neck.

I can't take this thread seriously. Why are you forcing yourself to wear a style you don't like?? It's your friggin hair, no one is standing over you with a whip making you bun 7 days a week. I do it because buns are convenient and classy -- the retention is just a nice side effect. If you hate it so much that you are envying other girls at school (which leads to a whole new thread, IMO) then wear it down!!

Also, I have never NOT had a guy chase me or show interest because my hair is in a bun. That is just absurd. As a matter of fact, I get more compliments when my hair is back because it shows off my face and neck.

I think many of us on this forum do not like buns yet still force ourselves to wear them because we want to gain length. Plain and simple. Im just simply venting and seeing if im the only one who feels this way about bunning so if you cant take the thread seriously then oh well. Have a nice day OP. :yep:

I guess one can get tired of wearing any one style for long periods of time. I'm tired of wearing my hair in a weave over the last year or so. But when I look at my progress, I'm reminded of my goal and that I only have a little bit more time to go. :) Enjoy wearing your hair out every now and then, I know I will be enjoying the fruits of my labor as soon as I reach my goal. :)

Back