Has anyone heard of Thio Softening?

I know that thio is what is used in curly perms. So are they using that chemical as a softener for the hair?

I don't think they are using it for that.. this is what the girl said that thio softening was:

Thio softening is similar to texturizing with a lye or no lye relaxer except it uses a thiogylcolic acid base which is gentler. These thio products are supoosedly less alkaline than the other two types and thus less damaging to hair. However, as they are milder they can't straighten as well.

Ever heard of that before Supergirl???

Hey Rush Girl...

I think you are thinking of Vertical by Redken or Xtenso by Loreal. I am pretty sure both of these products are thio based. I know they are designed to loosen curly hair into more of a wave pattern. Most stylists will not use these on hair that has been relaxed with a lye/ no-lye product because they are completely incompatible and will result in a chemical hair cut if they meet. I've heard positive things about both of these brands. These systems are often discussed on TR boards because TR is also thio based. I had to grow out my relaxed hair before I was TRed. HTH
smile.gif

Thanks for the info AshCash! I actually never heard of that Thio softening before. I was asking about it because some girl posted about it on another board.. I really had no idea of what it was so I just posted what she said about it.
cool.gif
But I did figure it was something that couldn't be done on relaxed hair.

Thanks for the helpful answers!

[ QUOTE ]
RushGirl said:
I don't think they are using it for that.. this is what the girl said that thio softening was:

Thio softening is similar to texturizing with a lye or no lye relaxer except it uses a thiogylcolic acid base which is gentler. These thio products are supoosedly less alkaline than the other two types and thus less damaging to hair. However, as they are milder they can't straighten as well.

Ever heard of that before Supergirl???

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, but it sounds interesting...

Back