has anyone gone from black to blonde?

varaneka

I am attempting this for the first time on my own

I've had blonde highlights twice in my life, but I've never had my whole head of hair lightened.

I have completed my first bleach session and am DCing overnight with BBW's Phat Head High on Coconut.

I think it's protein based. I'm giving my Aphogee a rest until the end of the bleach & dye treatments. I'm waiting a week before I start again, but I'm switching brands from Salon Care and L'Oreal to Kaleidocolor Violet.

Has anyone used these? I'm going off of things I've read and seen on videos.

i went from brown to blonde and it was NOT a good experience. it was cute at first, but i couldn't keep it moisturized to save my life.

I went from dyed black to white. It took 3 bleach sessions about 10 minutes each I mixed my own with stuff from sallys but I also had use this other toner stuff to get rid of the yellow.. if you go to youtube and search dyed black to blond you might find the video that I watched to learn how to do it from, it is a video with an asian lady in it.

I used something like Born Blonde from Sally's back in the 90's and followed up with a toner. (Sorry I don't remember the shade). Please be sure to moisturize, DC, and condition like crazy. I had good sucess with it until I went to a stylist that used a SUPER relaxer on my hair.:burning: I had serious breakage after that.:crying3:

Yes, I went from dark brown to blonde - no problems - I use Ms. Clairol Luminizer with the Developer - it lightens your hair to its full potential.

I was goingfrom Dark Brown to Ash Blond professionally and it was a disaster. The stylist could not get my own color to lift to save her life and applied 5 different bleach and toner applications in one day!!!! In the end I had 3 shades of orange and terribly damaged hair that I'm still recoving from.

I think you doing it in phases is a smart, healthy move Good Luck.

did you use violet or blue toners to get white/platinum?

here is the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coLZbvn-hJw I didn't use all of the same brands as her cause her stuff is really expensive but I used (see pics) I used the sensitive skin developer on my roots and edges. If you buy everything separate its really cheap just make sure you get a cream developer it mixes way better then the other kind. I was going to wait a while between bleaching sessions but I couldn't stand walking around blond for more than like 3 days. I never left the bleach on for very long but it worked like magic and I got my hair to take blue die for the first time ever and it not come out green! I will never bleach my hair with a pre packaged box of bleach again! Those were all horrible experiences there is no need to leave bleach on your strands for 30 minutes +
2009-08-21_114824.jpg
2009-08-21_114908.jpg

BTW: sorry about the horrible spelling and grammar in my first response I was on break at work typing on my phone.

Last edited:
here is the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coLZbvn-hJw I didn't use all of the same brands as her cause her stuff is really expensive but I used (see pics) I used the sensitive skin developer on my roots and edges. If you buy everything separate its really cheap just make sure you get a cream developer it mixes way better then the other kind. I was going to wait a while between bleaching sessions but I couldn't stand walking around blond for more than like 3 days. I never left the bleach on for very long but it worked like magic and I got my hair to take blue die for the first time ever and it not come out green! I will never bleach my hair with a pre packaged box of bleach again! Those were all horrible experiences there is no need to leave bleach on your strands for 30 minutes +
2009-08-21_114824.jpg
2009-08-21_114908.jpg

BTW: sorry about the horrible spelling and grammar in my first response I was on break at work typing on my phone.

in the first picture, what's the purple bottle?

thanks so much for sharing!

The first bottle is one of the cream developer I used it is Ion brand Sensitive Scalp 9% developer its 30 volume. It is what I used on my roots and front edges. I also used Ion brand powder Lightener I still have half a tub of that. the second is Salon care brand 40 volume cream developer.

I'm just happy that there is a thread I can help in ^_^ I've been bleaching and dying my hair for like 7 years now going black to blond to rainbows and then vise versa. And since i found LHCF I've actually been retaining almost all of it :D

I'm glad you're experienced and willing to share the knowledge! I have no idea what I am doing lol.

I just have Salon Care 40 cream developer, but I was advised by a lady at Sally BSS to use it with SC's Blue Flash lightening powder. I only got one packet. She said to use that first and then use L'Oreal's Color Zap. I think she got it backwards. Am I right? Oh well. I want a tub of Kaleidocolors Violet. I read reviews that said it smells like fruit lol.

How do you get rainbow hair? I'd be willing to do that! I also want pink and blue streaks, but I'll probably do it w/ temporary wash-out color just in case I have to be conservative.

in that video I posted the link to she says to use color zap 1st, but I didn't use it :/ the SC prismlites Violet actually kinda smells like fruit too.

I only use semi permanent hair color, and if you want a rainbow just section and color each section. don't let them touch or they will blend, esp blue and green. There are tons of youtube videos on that too. Oohhh and reddish colors even temporary ones don't fade for **** on me so be careful what colors you choose because you don't want to waste several hours of bleaching for a color you are stuck with untill you dye or bleach it out.

in that video I posted the link to she says to use color zap 1st, but I didn't use it :/ the SC prismlites Violet actually kinda smells like fruit too.

I only use semi permanent hair color, and if you want a rainbow just section and color each section. don't let them touch or they will blend, esp blue and green. There are tons of youtube videos on that too. Oohhh and reddish colors even temporary ones don't fade for **** on me so be careful what colors you choose because you don't want to waste several hours of bleaching for a color you are stuck with untill you dye or bleach it out.

yeah I've had a hard time getting red-based dyes, out too

if SC is less expensive, then I'll get that instead, but I just like the name Kaleidocolor lol

typical consumer.

wait, do you use heat when you're bleaching? or does it work better without heat?

and how the heck do you get it to accomplish your mission in under 30 minutes?! I need to get like you

DO NOT USE HEAT!! read the instructions with the powder lightener that you got, it might say differently, but I plastic rapped my hair and a few minutes later it was warm to to touch. If I had applied heat I would have ended up bald.
I originally had one packet of the KC toner but it was no where near enough and I only had shoulder length hair then. I did about 3 beach sessions but I think I did about the same toner sessions :/ you won't have to do anywhere near as many if you leave it on longer or if you aren't trying to get your hair white. And when I say white I mean STORM from X-men white!
I only did short bleaching sessions because I was bleaching over hair that was dyed black (dumb family reunion for my inlaws) over bleached dyed violet hair and i didn't want to melt my hair off.

I always wanted to look like Storm!!! haha

I used heat because I thought that it would make the bleach work faster

I'm glad my hair hasn't fallen out ...yet lol

eta: do I need toner if I use the violet-based bleach? or does that bleach have toner in it already

Last edited:
Back