Has anyone expiremented with faux highlights?

so1913

(EXCUSE my typo in the subject: "EXPERIMENTED")

I'm curious if anyone has pictures of fake/temporary highlights, whether it be a "spray on" color that you've applied a certain way, or hair pieces you've added to your own hair. I'd LOVE to see if any naturals have done this as well (I think Peachtree did some that came out pretty nice). I'd love to expirement with color and highlights without the committment (or damaging factors). I'm a little "bored" and would love to spice things up a bit.

Thanks!

I'm not natural but when I want highlights, I use a hair highlighter that I purchase from Sally's...you can see pics in my fotki (highlights with hair highlighter) see profile for fotki. They have several colors to choose from and it washes right out. HTH

Ronda123 said:
I'm not natural but when I want highlights, I use a hair highlighter that I purchase from Sally's...you can see pics in my fotki (highlights with hair highlighter) see profile for fotki. They have several colors to choose from and it washes right out. HTH

Cool! How do you apply it?

so1913 said:
Cool! How do you apply it?

It looks like a mascara brush...you can apply it where you would like your highlights to be. I apply it on dry hair, I lift up on strands that I want to highlight...apply...then style. HTH

Yeah I used to do this all the time when I was in high school. I used both the spray and mascara like wands. At the time I was unsure about coloring my hair and wanted to get a feel for what it might look like if I did. It worked out pretty well and most people that knew me couldn't tell that they weren't real (the rest knew I was too chicken to do it for real). The only draw back is that they did not last at all. On a good run they lasted about two or three days. Good Luck :)

Bumping for more responses. I've been toying w/this idea for years. My problem is where to get the hair. I don't know anything about fake hair so I don't know what I"m looking for. I want to make my own clip-ins. Peachtree's looked great.

Hey you :)

I don't have pics but I have used the spray on one and people thought I had real highlights. Give it a try if anything you can always wash it out.

just go the bss and pick the length and color tracks you like and the hair texture that best matches yours. human hair would be better, so you can curl if you want to. then buy the little wig clips too. cut the tracks in small, medium or large pieces and add then where you want them with the wig clips. you can sew the clips to the tracks, for more security. then take plenty of pics for us to see. :Flahsssss btw, I've never done this for highlights, but I wanna try now. :lol:

***someone has a video of working with wig clips and tracks. can't think right now though.

Pokahontas said:
Bumping for more responses. I've been toying w/this idea for years. My problem is where to get the hair. I don't know anything about fake hair so I don't know what I"m looking for. I want to make my own clip-ins. Peachtree's looked great.

Last edited:
I use the color sprays when i want highlights. I wish i still had the pics where i did burgundy highlights on a twist out but they are locked in my old closed fotki album. The only downside is they are messy and will rub off on light colored clothing if you're not careful so don't plan to wear them for more than 1-2 days.

so1913 said:
(EXCUSE my typo in the subject: "EXPERIMENTED")

I'm curious if anyone has pictures of fake/temporary highlights, whether it be a "spray on" color that you've applied a certain way, or hair pieces you've added to your own hair. I'd LOVE to see if any naturals have done this as well (I think Peachtree did some that came out pretty nice). I'd love to expirement with color and highlights without the committment (or damaging factors). I'm a little "bored" and would love to spice things up a bit.

Thanks!

Conair has a temporary hightlighting machine that I have seen for 20.00 @ bed, bath, and beyond. It's got these color strips, and you apply them like unto flat ironing a piece of your hair I think. They last till you wash your hair out. I wanted to try this. I have also used temporary color gels. I would take one part of a twist, apply and clip it out of the way to dry. I would only do it in the front/crown area. Once they dried, I would retwist them. It looked cool enough for me to get blonde highlights afterward. THe color gels do fade though. I will have to get that conair thingie.

I have a wig that I was going to wear with some of my own hair out. The wig has a lot of different highlights in it, and my real hair doesn't. I don't know the numbers b/c it was one of those brand wigs w/some unconventional numbering system. So, I took some hair mascara and streaked it onto a weft the same color as my hair. It matched perfectly but I have not put it on my hair and worn it out in that way yet.

ETA but I can tell you it definitely works if you get colors that complement b/c the first place I ever saw hair mascara was on either QVC or HSN. There was one of those hair guys there and he was putting the mascara on the models' hair and it looked very realistic.

Hey So :wave:

I have faux highlights in my siggy & in my album (thanks for the compliment :) )

At the time, I also was looking for some pics... I couldn't find any, so I made my own :)

I took a trip to the BSS & bought some human hair (burgundy/brown), a few wig clips {they make a "click clack" sound...the same clips used to clip on a toupee (sp?)}, then sewed the sections of human wefted hair onto the clips.

I positioned the clips where I wanted them, clipped 'em onto my natural hair, then "clacked" (fastened) them in place. Finally, I went about styling as usual.

Oh forgot to mention... the human hair was highly defined... the curls looked farrr too unnatural...artificial... so I ran my small toothed comb through the weft a few times to "frizz" it up, making it more like my natural hair.

I absolutely :love: the results. When i purchase another dig cam, I'm gonna post more "style" pics... there's alot I can do with the faux highlights :)

Last edited:
Pokahontas said:

I made my own clip ons several years ago and they turned out good. I may try it again and post pics....:)

I took a trip to the BSS & bought some human hair (burgundy/brown), a few wig clips {they make a "click clack" sound...the same clips used to clip on a toupee (sp?)}, then sewed the sections of human wefted hair onto the clips.

I positioned the clips where I wanted them, clipped 'em onto my natural hair, then "clacked" (fastened) them in place. Finally, I went about styling as usual.

I didn't see this post before, but this is exactly what I did...

Back