Has anyone ever pin curled their hair to produce a wrap like apperance?

Ladylynn

Since my hair is getting longer, it no longer holds the wrap bounce that it once did when I was shoulder length. Has anyone had any success wth pin curling to get their hair to appear as though it has been wrapped. I can pin curl quite well for curlier styles, however, when I tried to pin curl to wear it straighter it looked flat and the curl was swinging to the side instead of curving under. I just can't win.

ETA: Oops, I left out the "a", you all know what I was trying to type :)

Last edited:
Maybe you can try looser pin curls, only around the perimeter of your head.
example:

Part hair and comb it how you want it to lay.
Grab ends of hair and make a big loop.
Do this all around your head.

You may need large duckbill clips for this.

Hey, I see you are in Baltimore. I was in Baltimore for about 5 years during and after college. Those ladies perfected the pin curl method. I might try this after I relax. Right now I don't want to run a comb through it. Have you tried this technique?

OT: Do you know have the Baltimore stylist gets the hair to look like loose finger waves after they remove the roller set? I have heard that they pin curl it some kinda way and then they shape it. I can't do this technique to save my life but it looks so... good.

sassyhair said:
Maybe you can try looser pin curls, only around the perimeter of your head.
example:

Part hair and comb it how you want it to lay.
Grab ends of hair and make a big loop.
Do this all around your head.

You may need large duckbill clips for this.

O girl I am from PGcounty/Washington, DC.
I attend Morgan State, I have yet to go to a salon that I like here in Bmore. However the Bmore girls are faithful with this technique some even walk around with the clips in all day.

I pin curl my hair nightly with small clips to maintain my curls and volume. I dont really like the wrapped effect because I like my hair slightly puff, to look fuller.

I saw a lady in the grocery store with the type of pin curls I decribed to you.

Ha, ha, I'm sorry... I'm from PG too (Oxon Hill) I graduated from Morgan.

sassyhair said:
O girl I am from PGcounty/Washington, DC.
I attend Morgan State, I have yet to go to a salon that I like here in Bmore. However the Bmore girls are faithful with this technique some even walk around with the clips in all day.

I pin curl my hair nightly with small clips to maintain my curls and volume. I dont really like the wrapped effect because I like my hair slightly puff, to look fuller.

I saw a lady in the grocery store with the type of pin curls I decribed to you.

Ladylynn said:
Since my hair is getting longer, it no longer holds the wrap bounce that it once did when I was shoulder length. Has anyone had any success wth pin curling to get their hair to appear as though it has been wrapped. I can pin curl quite well for curlier styles, however, when I tried to pin curl to wear it straighter it looked flat and the curl was swinging to the side instead of curving under. I just can't win.

ETA: Oops, I left out the "a", you all know what I was trying to type :)

Girl, i have the exact same problem, and its sooo annoying. In the morning, my hair is either flipped out, or flipped/bent to the side. Its not cute at all, since what I am really trying to achieve is a full, wrapped look. Perhaps I'll try that pincurling method ya'all are talking about. It sounds a bit confusing tho. I wonder if anyone has a picture of this, w/the duckbill clips you're talking about, in their foki.

If you take down the pincurls in the morning, and then wrap it around your head, then unwrap and style before you leave, you can get a bouncier less curly look.

pyxis777 said:
If you take down the pincurls in the morning, and then wrap it around your head, then unwrap and style before you leave, you can get a bouncier less curly look.

That is what I do, I wrap it around after I take out the pins and then smooth some vitapointe or oil around it and then slightly shake it out and comb carefully.

Ladies have your tried a mohawk rollerset? It works better than a wrap, can be done in about 5 mins and will give u lots of body. Heck I don't even need a comb when I take it down. I finger comb my hair in place, add a little oil or serum to the ends and I'm set. Check my album to see the end result.

My hair holds on to that curl and never wants to let it go. With this method, I always end up with a more curlier look that what I'm going for. I use the purple rollers, maybe I need to increase the size. I want hair with body, but at the same time, just a nice curve at the ends. I don't know, I haven't tried this in a while, maybe I'll give it another go once I relax in a couple of weeks. I have been sleeping in the purple rollers for some time now since wrapping wasn't working. I normally do one for the swoop bang, two on each side of the ear, and 6 in the back (2 rows, 3 columns). This looks okay once the curls fall a bit. This worked perfectly when I was shoulder length. Now I have a slight spiral curl at the endscausing the front to sort of flip up instead of bend under.

simplycee said:
Ladies have your tried a mohawk rollerset? It works better than a wrap, can be done in about 5 mins and will give u lots of body. Heck I don't even need a comb when I take it down. I finger comb my hair in place, add a little oil or serum to the ends and I'm set. Check my album to see the end result.

@ simplycee

You have really nice hair. Very thick. I wish my set feel like that. I think it helps to have thick hair. Mines so thin.

Hi, Ladylynn, may be you can see Balisi pin curls pics in her homepage she has a very good method!

Ladylynn said:
My hair holds on to that curl and never wants to let it go. With this method, I always end up with a more curlier look that what I'm going for. I use the purple rollers, maybe I need to increase the size. I want hair with body, but at the same time, just a nice curve at the ends. I don't know, I haven't tried this in a while, maybe I'll give it another go once I relax in a couple of weeks. I have been sleeping in the purple rollers for some time now since wrapping wasn't working. I normally do one for the swoop bang, two on each side of the ear, and 6 in the back (2 rows, 3 columns). This looks okay once the curls fall a bit. This worked perfectly when I was shoulder length. Now I have a slight spiral curl at the endscausing the front to sort of flip up instead of bend under.

I use grey rollers, try that.

KiniKakes said:
Girl, i have the exact same problem, and its sooo annoying. In the morning, my hair is either flipped out, or flipped/bent to the side. Its not cute at all, since what I am really trying to achieve is a full, wrapped look. Perhaps I'll try that pincurling method ya'all are talking about. It sounds a bit confusing tho. I wonder if anyone has a picture of this, w/the duckbill clips you're talking about, in their foki.

This has been my same exact problem. Certain parts of my hair comes out in these weird angles and contortions...quite frustrating.:ohwell: What is a mohack rollerset?!!? Do you just roll the middle section and wrap the rest?:perplexed

tonia682 said:
This has been my same exact problem. Certain parts of my hair comes out in these weird angles and contortions...quite frustrating.:ohwell: What is a mohack rollerset?!!? Do you just roll the middle section and wrap the rest?:perplexed[/QUOTE

It's when you roll the hair straight down the middle resulting in the mohawk look.

I have pincurled a little larger to produce a wrapped look, since I don't wrap my hair anymore. I find that moisturizing my ends before wrapping it up helps to hold the shape better. Also, I finger comb, since I don't like ripping a comb through my hair. Hope this helps.

cocoberry10 said:
I have pincurled a little larger to produce a wrapped look, since I don't wrap my hair anymore. I find that moisturizing my ends before wrapping it up helps to hold the shape better. Also, I finger comb, since I don't like ripping a comb through my hair. Hope this helps.

Can you tell me your technique? How do you place the curls, what size, do the curls come out flat and swinging the side? Oh, one more, is your hair thick in texture?

Ladylynn said:
tonia682 said:
This has been my same exact problem. Certain parts of my hair comes out in these weird angles and contortions...quite frustrating.:ohwell: What is a mohack rollerset?!!? Do you just roll the middle section and wrap the rest?:perplexed[/QUOTE

It's when you roll the hair straight down the middle resulting in the mohawk look.

Thanks! One more question. What do you do with the left and right portions of your hair whrile the rollers are going down the middle?

I have some pictures in my fotki of how I pin curl to keep bounce and movement in my hair. I'm not a fan of wrapping.

KiniKakes said:

Which way are you turning the pin curls? I kind of turn mines out so that they'll flip up when I'm wearing a feather wrap. I turn them in when I'm wearing a wrap. I do have to admit that it takes practice. The first few times I tried to do it my hair looked jacked. lol I'm tired of seeing girls in public with those damn pincurls and clips here in Baltimore though. That's almost as bad as wearing rollers out...:ohwell:

bmoreflyygirl said:
Which way are you turning the pin curls? I kind of turn mines out so that they'll flip up when I'm wearing a feather wrap. I turn them in when I'm wearing a wrap. I do have to admit that it takes practice. The first few times I tried to do it my hair looked jacked. lol I'm tired of seeing girls in public with those damn pincurls and clips here in Baltimore though. That's almost as bad as wearing rollers out...:ohwell:
:lachen: I took down my very first pincurls today and except for one section, the ends are bent, not curled like I thought they would be! Now I know it takes practice and I didn't have a particular direction either when I did it!

*hops over to JLove74's fotki instructions* :fan:

JLove74 said:
I have some pictures in my fotki of how I pin curl to keep bounce and movement in my hair. I'm not a fan of wrapping.
Your pincurls look different JLove74 with very pretty results. It looks like you roll your hair under and then pin them, rather than sideways, is that right?

Back