Has anyone else had bad experiences with sew-ins?

glamgal198

I'm really feeling like the odd ball here because it seems like everyone's ever flourishes with sew ins. I'm able to retain alot of the length, but it thins my hair out something awful. I don't understand why this is?! Does this happen to anyone else? Does anyone have advice as to how i can prevent this? I wash my hair, and make sure my hair is well moisturized, but nothing seems to help :ohwell:

I knew someone who got a lot of length with them but her hair got really thin also.

When I wore them, my hair didnt get worse but it didnt get any better.

Wow, my hair stays thick with them. But the sew in I got in April really thinned out my hair. It turned out my moisturizer was not saturating my hair from my method of applying it. I tried those thin tip applicator bottles, didn't work because my hair was dry and thin when I took it out.

Now I spray the hair beneath with s- curl, followed by any oil in a spray bottle and that keeps my hair nice and moisturized.

Wow, my hair stays thick with them. But the sew in I got in April really thinned out my hair. It turned out my moisturizer was not saturating my hair from my method of applying it. I tried those thin tip applicator bottles, didn't work because my hair was dry and thin when I took it out.

Now I spray the hair beneath with s- curl, followed by any oil in a spray bottle and that keeps my hair nice and moisturized.

I will definitely be trying this method, thank you! Stupid me is considering putting another one in (i'm not ready to relax yet), i refuse to give up! Lol...

Does S-curl on your hair under the weave leave it with a smell? I don't think I moisturized enough with my last weave because I was so self conscious about possible smell issues, esp. since I get a sweaty scalp from exercising.

Same here, and I only had it in for 6 weeks - 3 weeks at a time. My edges were so thin, it scared me. Also, I ALWAYS loose hair taking it off - even when I promise myself to go the hairdresser to take it off, for some reason, I end up doing it myself, disastrously. I lost 3" in one area bec I didn't cut the weave off the track properly. No more weave for me - unless I try sowing it on a stocking cap.

I'm nursing my edges now b/c they thinned out badly from my last sew-in.:nono:

Same here, and I only had it in for 6 weeks - 3 weeks at a time. My edges were so thin, it scared me. Also, I ALWAYS loose hair taking it off - even when I promise myself to go the hairdresser to take it off, for some reason, I end up doing it myself, disastrously. I lost 3" in one area bec I didn't cut the weave off the track properly. No more weave for me - unless I try sowing it on a stocking cap.

Is that the proper way to take down a sew-in? You cut the weave hair off the track first?:look: This is news to me.... I never knew that... I wonder what else I'm doing wrong! :perplexed

The fact that I constantly cut my hair by mistake while taking out the weave is OBVIOUSLY the WRONG way to take it out :lachen::lachen:! I try to cut the thread to take off the weave but always mess up, especially at the parts where I cannot see. My mistake is stupidity - don't do it:lachen::lachen:.

Is that the proper way to take down a sew-in? You cut the weave hair off the track first?:look: This is news to me.... I never knew that... I wonder what else I'm doing wrong! :perplexed

Last edited:

no its not, that's why 3 inches of hair was lost. You should feel for the threads and cut them, not the weave or your hair. you can use seam splitters or a similar tool to (gently) cut the threads and then remove the weave. i think its easier to take down the weave when you don't use big bulky scissors that can cut other areas

Last edited:
Does S-curl on your hair under the weave leave it with a smell? I don't think I moisturized enough with my last weave because I was so self conscious about possible smell issues, esp. since I get a sweaty scalp from exercising.

Nope, no smell. I did wash when I thought my hair was itchy or didn't smell fresh, I diluted shampoo with water. Applied it to the scalp and hair underneath directly to dry hair, scrubbed, and then just rinsed and conditioned.

Sew ins did not do anything for my hair. I wore them for 16 months and my hair did not look any different when I stopped wearing them, wich means my roots were growing and the ends were breaking. Even if someone else takes it out, if they are not gentle, they can rip it out too.

i stopped getting sew-ins because they will hurt the health of your hair in the long run. A few tracks are ok because you can still care for your hair. There's no way to properly moisturize your hair or even your ends for that matter with a sew-in without greasing the weave or just getting to your scalp(IMO)...Also the thread that is used is pulled tight and puts alot of strain on your hair causing breakage and thats why most people who consistently wear sew-ins have thin hair. I use half wigs most of the time but I get them professionally made so they don't look like the half wigs everyone wears and i can choose my own hair and the style...

I had one sew-in years before I knew anything about LHCF and I swore never to get one again. It left my hair in horrible condition and literally RIPPED out my entire hair line.

I wear them, and had nothing but great progress and thick hair. I did have a problem with my last one, but that's only because I used a new stylist and ALLOWED her to braid it too tight. I'm still growing though...with thick hair.

When taking my sew in out, I use on of those eyebrow shapers. That way I just pull on the track and cut the thread in an upward motion. I also think it makes the takedown go quicker.I took 2 huge chunks from my hair taking out my very first sewin but I havent had that problem since.

I've experienced growth from sew-ins this year. I tried my best to keep my braids moisturized and I washed my hair at least 2 times a week. I'm not sure if that's what helped or not. Good luck with the next one! :-)

Sew in helped me grow my hair back when I had alot of bad breakage(down to the new growth) The keys for me:
1. She never braided too tight.
2. I was crazy serious about my moisturizing( I wanted my freaking hair back)
3. I still kept my scalp clean
4. I also use the eyebrow shaper( I stopped scissors after losing a chunk of hair)

I started doing my own after I learned from her and continued until I got into my hair dying obsession.

Not just you girl, sew-ins helped thin my edges and crown. My hair never got as much moisture as it needed and no amount of careful washing and drying could eliminate the smell that sets in after a few weeks. :-(

OK, phew! I was afraid I was taking mine down wrong, lol.

I used a seam ripper to cut the threads until I lost the dern thing... I'll have to get an eyebrow shaper the next time I hit up the BSS.

My weave was sew-in well and I didn't lose any hair during the takedown but I did have a lot of shedding and thinning.

i think because mine was pre-LHCF it doesnt count. no washing, DCing, or moisturizing, and i didnt know how to take it down so i lost soooo much hair. idiot. lol

I lose my edges my hair is too fragile for a sew-in, and leaving hair out is not an option. So now I got a LF....

Back