Has anyone done a honeymoon registry?

Miss617

Always left of center
Has anyone here done a honeymoon registry, like Honeyfund, instead of going with traditional gift registries? FH has pretty much has all the little appliances that people normally give as gifts, so we only want to do like one gift registry for the old school guests that insist on bringing a gift. We're still looking for our own place, but we don't want to have duplicate blenders or anything like that.

Since we are paying for the wedding entirely by ourselves, we won't be able to afford a honeymoon for probably another couple of months after the wedding. So we planned to do something small and probably domestic immediately after and go on a real honeymoon at a later date. I know some people think it's tacky to essentially ask people to help pay for your honeymoon, but we really don't need or want anything else.

I set up a Honeyfund months ago, but I don't know how to tell people about it without sounding like I'm begging for money. On a different forum, the general consensus regarding honeymoon registries was that putting the link on the invitation was a huge no-no (which I wasn't planning to do anyway), but if I'm having a wedding website made, would it be less blatant to put the link to the website? What's the best way to go about directing people to the honeymoon registry?

I don't have a honeymoon registry.

But I see no harm in putting the link to your honeymoon registry on your wedding website. It just can't be a website made just for that purpose. So on the website you can have a page about the ceremony, another one about the reception, one about hotel arrangements for out of town guests, etc., and one about the registry. That way it doesn't look like you are only after the money.

On the invitation or an insert card, put the link to the wedding website. Hope that helps.

Last edited:
I don't have a honeymoon registry.

But I see no harm in putting the link to your honeymoon registry on your wedding website. It just can't be a website made just for that purpose. So on the website you can have a page about the ceremony, another one about the reception, one about hotel arrangements for out of town guests, etc., and one about the registry. That way it doesn't look like you are only after the money.

On the invitation or an insert card, put the link to the wedding website. Hope that helps.

That's exactly what I was planning to do. I'm having a friend make the site for me because I just don't have time, but I'm sending her all the relevant info. I'm slightly wary of putting the link on the invitation because it might like odd, but I never thought about putting it on an insert card. That's definitely something to consider. Thanks!

DH and I got married last Saturday. We are vacationing in Puerto Rico as I type. We used a HoneyFund registry. We were in a similar boat: we each have lots of kitchen and home appliances, and honestly wanted $$ as we were paying for the wedding ourselves.

We didn't have links to the website or any registry information on the invitations. We instead emailed/texted the wedding website address (it had lots of other features such as engagement pictures, lodging, travel, DJ music requests, etc...) to our guests. 3 weeks before the wedding, we sent out postcard size reminder cards with the website address. DH used a laser printer and the wedding invitation templates d color scheme for those. It matched really well with the original invitations from David's Bridal.

Anyway, we received just two donations through HoneyFund, BUT, our friends and families got the message: We've received A LOT of cash in envelopes, lots of personal checks, and big Target and Bed Bath and Beyond gift cards--We had registered here for linens and a few cheap knicknacks for the traditional gift-givers. We also got many personalized gifts from monogrammed items, to books, antique goods and fancy china.

So I'd say: Go for it!!! People will understand that you would be best helped with money. And honestly, if they think it's tacky...*shrug* Not everyone gets a fancy wedding from a rich Daddy!!!

Last edited:
DH and I got married last Saturday. We are vacationing in Puerto Rico as I type. We used a HoneyFund registry. We were in a similar boat: we each have lots of kitchen and home appliances, and honestly wanted $$ as we were paying for the wedding ourselves.

We didn't have links to the website or any registry information on the invitations. We instead emailed/texted the wedding website address (it had lots of other features such as engagement pictures, lodging, travel, DJ music requests, etc...) to our guests. 3 weeks before the wedding, we sent out postcard size reminder cards with the website address. DH used a laser printer and the wedding invitation templates d color scheme for those. It matched really well with the original invitations from David's Bridal.

Anyway, we received just two donations through HoneyFund, BUT, our friends and families got the message: We've received A LOT of cash in envelopes, lots of personal checks, and big Target and Bed Bath and Beyond gift cards--We had registered here for linens and a few cheap knicknacks for the traditional gift-givers. We also got many personalized gifts from monogrammed items, to books, antique goods and fancy china.

So I'd say: Go for it!!! People will understand that you would be best helped with money. And honestly, if they think it's tacky...*shrug* Not everyone gets a fancy wedding from a rich Daddy!!!

Where in Puerto Rico are you? FH and I went to Ponce in 2011. It was lovely.

I like the idea of sending reminder cards a couple of weeks before the wedding. We have a good printer, so I don't think it would be too hard to get it to match with the invitations. I'd probably ask someone else to do it, though, because I'm doing enough as it is.

I'll be happy with anything we get, because it's more than we'll be able to do on our own right now. But checks and cash would be greatly, greatly appreciated if people feel so inclined :yep: And a friend of mine actually gave me an awesome suggestion about having people bring books instead of gifts, which I love but I'm sure FH doesn't since he's not a reader lol.

And ITA, not everyone can have Mommy and Daddy pay for ish. Although I've still got a couple of months to try and track down a rich uncle :grin:

Congratulations on your wedding!

Where in Puerto Rico are you? FH and I went to Ponce in 2011. It was lovely.

I like the idea of sending reminder cards a couple of weeks before the wedding. We have a good printer, so I don't think it would be too hard to get it to match with the invitations. I'd probably ask someone else to do it, though, because I'm doing enough as it is.

I'll be happy with anything we get, because it's more than we'll be able to do on our own right now. But checks and cash would be greatly, greatly appreciated if people feel so inclined :yep: And a friend of mine actually gave me an awesome suggestion about having people bring books instead of gifts, which I love but I'm sure FH doesn't since he's not a reader lol.

And ITA, not everyone can have Mommy and Daddy pay for ish. Although I've still got a couple of months to try and track down a rich uncle :grin:

Congratulations on your wedding!

Poofed post!

Thanks. Congrats on your upcoming wedding! I hope you can track down a wealthy relative in time :)

We're in San Juan. We're staying at a hotel in Condado. We've visited the surrounding areas, beaches, and gone to the El Yunque National Forest! The food is the BEST part!!!! BBQ here is delicious!!!

Poofed post!

Thanks. Congrats on your upcoming wedding! I hope you can track down a wealthy relative in time :)

We're in San Juan. We're staying at a hotel in Condado. We've visited the surrounding areas, beaches, and gone to the El Yunque National Forest! The food is the BEST part!!!! BBQ here is delicious!!!

Thank you. And I hope I can too, but I'm not counting on it lol.

I wanted to go to El Yunque, but it was too far from where we were. We're trying to go back soon and since FH had family all over the island, I'm sure somebody is close to the forest :yep: And yes, the food is the best part. I was in heaven even just eating like a 5 pound burrito from a cart lol. When we were in Ponce, we had this one part of a beach entirely to ourselves for two days straight. It was pretty awesome :grin:

Congrats on the wedding!!!

IMO I think a honeymoon fund is tacky. If I had a friend or loved one have a HM registery instead of a wedding one I would not contribute to it.

We did. We put the link on our wedding website, and put the link to the wedding website on our invitations. The wedding website had several pages, one of them was a registry explaining that we were both old and had a bunch of stuff and would prefer gifts in the form of honeymoon stuff, in as nice a language as that can be said.

Congrats on the wedding!!!

IMO I think a honeymoon fund is tacky. If I had a friend or loved one have a HM registery instead of a wedding one I would not contribute to it.

Thank you. Do you mind my asking why you think it's tacky? I don't think I've ever actually heard a reason, it just seems to be the general consensus based on the other wedding forum I'm on, so I'm curious to get a real opinion.

My opinion, and I know not everyone agrees with this, is that if a guest is going to spend the money anyway, it works out better for everyone if the money can be put toward something the couple really needs and not another blender that will either get returned, regifted, or stuck in a basement.

Thank you. Do you mind my asking why you think it's tacky? I don't think I've ever actually heard a reason, it just seems to be the general consensus based on the other wedding forum I'm on, so I'm curious to get a real opinion.

My opinion, and I know not everyone agrees with this, is that if a guest is going to spend the money anyway, it works out better for everyone if the money can be put toward something the couple really needs and not another blender that will either get returned, regifted, or stuck in a basement.

I agree with this 100%. I'd rather know my money is going towards something they really want/need.

We did. We put the link on our wedding website, and put the link to the wedding website on our invitations. The wedding website had several pages, one of them was a registry explaining that we were both old and had a bunch of stuff and would prefer gifts in the form of honeymoon stuff, in as nice a language as that can be said.

LOL @ the bolded. That is too funny to me, probably because it applies to FH (well, he's not that old, but old enough that he was living on his own way before he met me.) This basically sounds like the exact setup I'll be going with for our website, just need a way to make it NOT sound like I'm begging for money. I kind of want to throw in "I did just graduate from college, and I'm paying student loans, and no one helped us pay for this (not one thin red cent) so help a sista out." In the nicest way possible, of course :yep:

I'm curious too. Not that I would ever do a registry again (I did for my first marriage), but I wonder why a Honeyfund is such a faux pas.

My friend had a honeymoon registry. They went to Kenya(I think it was like 5 years ago). We were able to either donate to a fund or book one of the things they registered for. They had a couple's massage, a dinner, a safari, etc. I thought it was a really good idea. They relocated while engaged and their companies paid for their move so they didn't need furniture or kitchen appliances.

It could be argued that a couple doesn't "need" a honeymoon. For the record, I am indifferent regarding the honeymoon fund. Go for it, if you are comfortable with the honeymoon fund. What other people think doesn't matter. I would add a small registery, because some people just like to buy gifts. You can never have too many nice towels, and sheets:yep:

FH and I have a lot of things as we both have homes, but I am using my registry to upgrade on somethings. To some that could be seen as being tacky. :look:

It could be argued that a couple doesn't "need" a honeymoon. For the record, I am indifferent regarding the honeymoon fund. Go for it, if you are comfortable with the honeymoon fund. What other people think doesn't matter. I would add a small registery, because some people just like to buy gifts. You can never have too many nice towels, and sheets:yep:

FH and I have a lot of things as we both have homes, but I am using my registry to upgrade on somethings. To some that could be seen as being tacky. :look:

That's a good point. I guess I never thought about it like that because it seems to be generally accepted that most couples will have a honeymoon. I am still going to do a small gift registry because I'm sure the more old school guests will insist on a gift. Now that I think about it, some satin sheets would be nice.... :yep:

ETA: I don't think it's tacky to use a registry to upgrade old appliances. And you don't have to tell anyone you're upgrading, so I wouldn't worry about it (which I don't think you are anyway). Get you a Vitamix or something!

Last edited:

IDK. I got a lot of things I didn't "need" when I got married almost 14 years ago (ie. crystal vases, expensive wine glasses, etc). I didn't register for them though, I was pretty frugal on my list...

Ladies, may I ask your honest opinion of the wording of my Honeyfund greeting before I publish the site? Any feedback is appreciated!

"Hello, family and friends, and welcome to our Honeyfund!

We are hoping to spend 5 to 7 days at the Phoenix Resort in San Pedro, Belize. Because we have both acquired tons of "stuff" in the seven and a half years we have been together, we are asking our guests to please consider helping send us on our honeymoon in lieu of gifts. Any amount is welcomed and appreciated.

*We promise to take lots of pictures and share them with you all!

Love,

Tayla and Manny"

Last edited:
Ladies, may I ask your honest opinion of the wording of my Honeyfund greeting before I publish the site? Any feedback is appreciated!

We are hoping to spend at the Phoenix Resort in San Pedro, Belize. Because we have both acquired tons of "stuff" in the seven and a half years we have been together, we are asking our guests to please consider helping send us on our honeymoon in lieu of gifts. Any amount is welcomed and appreciated.

Love,

Tayla and Manny"

Very nice! I don't even know you and wish I could donate :lol:. You presented this in a very sweet way. Good luck!

We are hoping to spend at the Phoenix Resort in San Pedro, Belize. Because we have both acquired tons of "stuff" in the seven and a half years we have been together, we are asking our guests to please consider helping send us on our honeymoon in lieu of gifts. Any amount is welcomed and appreciated.

Love,

Tayla and Manny"

Miss617, are you missing a word somewhere in the bolded, like "it'?

Other than that, I think it's fine. :yep:

Very nice! I don't even know you and wish I could donate :lol:. You presented this in a very sweet way. Good luck!

Aw, thank you, that's very sweet of you to say! It's so hard to convey tone over the Internet, so I just wanted to know what "vibe" it gave off. Thanks!

Back