Hard Water?

Iluvsmuhgrass

Who has hard water? What has it done to your hair? How did you fix it?

I think my water could be the main cause of my setbacks. I didn't even think about it until SO brought it up. My skin is always dry and don't get me to discussing my hair.

Help!

If you have hard water you need to clarify or chelate to get the mineral deposits off of your hair strands. This helps lots of people. For the skin, I would use extra virgin coconut oil or similar that pentrates and moisturizes. Lotions have too much crap to penetrate which just dries the skin more.

Thanks! I've been using the coconut oil and Hairveda's Avosoya... girl... I smell like coconuts! hahaha

I just bought some clarifying/chelating shampoo and am thinking about getting a filter. My water is hella-hard. :sad:

I have the same problem! My water is soooo hard I have to moisturize my skin TWICE a day or it will crack!! I mean seriously, it would hurt when I would bend my leg, because of how dry the water was making my skin...

Anywho, I have curbed the effects of hard water on my hair by doing ACV rinses. Everytime I cowash or wash. Vinegar can remove build-up and resiude from the hair shaft, as well as close the cuticles. When residue is on the hair, it causes it to be dull, and lacks shine! When you rinse with Apple Cider Vinegar, it closes the cuticles providing more shine, smooth shafts, thus resulting in fewer tangles.

No matter what products I have used prior to doing ACV rinses, my hair has NEVER felt as smooth and soft as it does now.

My husband just had a water softener installed and I can immediately tell the difference in my hair and skin. Before the softener my skin was ashy and my hair felt rough. Now my skin feels silky smooth and my hair is MUCH softer. Even my husband's sandpaper skin is nice and smooth =)

Thanks! I've been using the coconut oil and Hairveda's Avosoya... girl... I smell like coconuts! hahaha

I just bought some clarifying/chelating shampoo and am thinking about getting a filter. My water is hella-hard. :sad:

Unfortunately filters only remove chlorine and some remove rust/iron and some other trace minerals but it won't completely solve hard water problems (calcium,etc.), you need a water softener for that. My apartment has a water softener but I also bought a filter for any chlorine that may be in the water. I have not tried it yet because I just bought it but I will use it tomorrow to see if it helps with dryness.

You need a chelating shampoo. You can try Paul Mitchell Shampoo Three.

I think my water could be the main cause of my setbacks. I didn't even think about it until SO brought it up. My skin is always dry and don't get me to discussing my hair.

Help!

Yeah I've just moved from a super soft water city to a hella hard water town for college and at first it tore up my skin :nono: But no I chelate with ORS creamy aloe and lotion and coconut oil have become my best friend.

Help!

I do not have hard water, but my cousin who grew up in England said it was notoriously known for its hard water. She says that is why many Britons have tough hair and rough teeth (I am SURE this isn't the case with all Britons...just relaying what she told me). She says that as a hairdresser her mom always provided a free steam-treatment for her clients every visit.

I have hard water at home too, so I was super excited to see that Avalon/KeraCare has come out with these new wipes to remove hard water build-up from your hair. I'm going to buy some once I find out where they are sold.

Has anyone else tried them?

I have hard water at home too, so I was super excited to see that Avalon/KeraCare has come out with these new wipes to remove hard water build-up from your hair. I'm going to buy some once I find out where they are sold.

Has anyone else tried them?

The reviews on those have not been positive, but I have only seen 2 or 3 over the years.

Please let us know what you think.

Ladies I have hard water. Very hard according to the water test.

I have found that I have to use a chelating shampoo less often now that I use conditioners with chelating ingredients. I feel good about that because I hated using the sulfate laden shampoo EVERY time. Now I hardly ever used my beloved Kenra Chelating shampoo.

Since I deep condition with Lustrasilk Olive Oil Conditioner and Shea Butter conditioner , which has EDTA, I notice the need for a shampoo to help with mineral deposits has greatly decreased.

I know not everyone gets down with my conditioner of choice, but I would look at the ingredients on the conditioners, too. Just because it does not say 'chelating' on the bottle, does not mean it can's be good for those of us dealing with this.

Back