Hard hair...how to soften it up ladies ?

thiccknlong

When I rinse my conditioner, my hair feels....hard. Like water running over a brillo pad. Even after using a glycerin/water mix, humecto, care free curl conditioners :confused: :cry: ....This creates breakage when I combing while wet, or trying to roller set with that fine tooth comb :angry2: :violin: I need a product(s) to soften it...ok, this is my background

- Aphogee every 8 weeks (leaves hair hard)
- My water is EXTRA hard (leaves hair hard )
- use keracare humecto after every wkly wash (after rinse out...hair still hard )

:baby2: QUESTIONS QUESTIONS QUESTIONS :baby2:

1. How to avoid the hard items above ??? ( i need a good protein...and running water to help detangle)

2. What do YOU use to soften your hair after aphogee....of what do you know is good for softening hair ???

Thanks Ladies ! :violin:

Hey thicknlong,

After your protein treatments you should be doing a deep condition treatment with a moisturising conditioner - something like Elasta QP or the like.

Since you have hard water give you hair a final rinse with distilled water.

Alternate your shampoo days with conditioner washes. Your shampoo should say (moisturising or conditioning on the bottle)

Are you using a leave-in conditioner - one that says detangle on the bottle would probably suit you....look out for Organics Kids Shea Butter detangler - i love this stuff.
After this use a little oil to seal in the moisture

If your hair is natural and not coloured it is very unlikely you will need protein treatments.

I hope this helps :)

Have you tried a coconut oil treatment? It’s really great for regrowth and softens your hair lie a charm.
My hair used to be the same but once I started using coconut oil and Infusium my hait has been soft.
:)

It will be okay Thicknlong!;) I'm not sure what type of shampoo you use, but these two words will give you all the softness you need SILK ELEMENTS Shampoo. Some alternatives are CON(Creme of Nature) or Motions Lavishing Conditioning Shampoo. If not those, you can add honey(softens hair) and EVOO(moisturizes hair) to your shampoo and/or conditioner. Let us know what you decide to use.

HTH

The Motions shampoo is great but...

I NEVER HAVE HARD HAIR AFTER MY

motionstn9.jpg

I love this stuff. It's the business for soft hair with lots of slip!

i think your hair doesn't like large amounts of glycerin(care free curl and humecto contain alot of glycerin)

i would try to fin a moisturizing conditioner that provides a good amount of slip and softness

you don't need more protein just a moisturizing conditioner that your hair likes

i really don't like to make product recommendations because 1. products don't have the same effect on everyone's hair and 2. i don't post pictures of my hair so most people will ignore the information for that reason but i will list some conditioner recommendations anyway

aubrey organics white camellia

lustasilk shea butter cholesterol plus

elucence moisture balance

silicon mix

praital silk worm cream

jason naturals sea kelp

tropical avocado

mane n tail

also how long do you leave the contioner on your hair? do you use a plastic cap and or heat? for a conditoner o work for me i have to use a platic cap and let the conditioner sit for at least an hour or 30 minutes if i use a heating cap

thicknlong said:
When I rinse my conditioner, my hair feels....hard. Like water running over a brillo pad. Even after using a glycerin/water mix, humecto, care free curl conditioners :confused: :cry: ....This creates breakage when I combing while wet, or trying to roller set with that fine tooth comb :angry2: :violin: I need a product(s) to soften it...ok, this is my background

- Aphogee every 8 weeks (leaves hair hard)
- My water is EXTRA hard (leaves hair hard )
- use keracare humecto after every wkly wash (after rinse out...hair still hard )

:baby2: QUESTIONS QUESTIONS QUESTIONS :baby2:

1. How to avoid the hard items above ??? ( i need a good protein...and running water to help detangle)

2. What do YOU use to soften your hair after aphogee....of what do you know is good for softening hair ???

Thanks Ladies ! :violin:

I agree with some of the things that were told already. When ever you do a protein tx, you need to follow up w/ a dc tx. This gives balance, and helps the hair restore. Excessive use of protein contributes to hardness, and extra shedding. For me a hair softner is first making sure as a no pooer, that I clarify atleast once per month. I only do protein tx once every 3-4 months, and I dc after every protein tx, and 1-2 times per month on the regular. I have found that for me, my hair likes butters, and conditioners to keep it soft. No glycerine for me unless i know that it's gonna be raining that day. It does grab the moisture out of the air and sucks it into my hair, but too much of that can also make crunchy hair, and it can be a bad thing. As a natural, for my leave in, it's giovanni direct, then my conditioner/caster oil mix. My hair doesn't really like conditioners w/ cones, makes the hair very hard so I try to steer clear of thoes as well. Hth, good luck to you!

Get yourself a shower filter and that should help a little with the hard water, too.

ETA: Also, try adding some oil to your conditioner to give it that extra umph.:)

Last edited:
Also - when is the last time you clarified? Excessive build-up can make your hair crunchy/brittle too....

Are you sure that you need such a strong treatment every 8 weeks? Maybe something milder will help. Always deep condition with a moisturizing conditioner after a protein treatment.

I was having this same problem last week ......

Someone recommended Hello Hydration by Herbal Essence after using

it my hair felt like silk!

My hair was also very hard but protein has actually helped my hair.

Since I had my hair in twists the last three weeks I have been using a mixture of Surge 14 and Curl Junkie Curly Boost (both have protein) on my hair and Qhemet Biologics Instant detangler on my ends 2x a day.

I did an ahphogee treatment with my wash the other day because I was getting my hair braided and this was my regimen:
I used Elucence MB shampoo, detangled with Aussie's Knot Today and a little MB condit., rinsed then applied the aphogee treatment. I only let it stay on until my hair was almost fully dry. Then as a deep condit. I used Lekair Cholesterol Plus (pink). My hair was nice and soft.
HTH :)

Thanks so much ladies :kiss:

- I do have a shower filter (water is still mega hard, therefore so is hair)

- I ALWAYS use a moisterizing conditioner afterwards (keracare humecto, motions moister plus, dove advanced care moist conditioner...2 of a combo of those ...while rinsing hair feels soft but after full rinse...hard)

- How long do I leave the moisterizing conditioner in ? most times overnight :) .

- Then I detangle with Motions moisterizer and oil under running water...afterwards, still hard.

amwcah - I'll try the EVOO and honey...and let you know how it works
lil'paw - sounds interesting...I might try that...Glad to see it working for ya !
ajargon02 - The glycerine/suave naturals mix eventually softened my hair AFTER leaving it in overnight + another 4 hours...impractible and didnt provide slip, but maybe I can do that and recondition w/ a moist cond with slp :ohwell: ... thanks girlie

destiny616 - I have heard MUCH about Silicone Mix...Is it thick? I need something thick enough to keep my hair soft after several mins under running water during my detangle session

TemiLnd - I will definitely try that coconut oil....that sounds wonderful !

You know...I'm beginning to think like Aalize said...Aphogee is a little to hard for my hair...I like it b/c so far it strengthens it like no other...but the hardness contributes to tangling....

Okay guys, its official : I'm redoing my regimen to sub Aphogee for dam hair for one of these - Dudleys DRC - 28 ....or Aphogee Keratin Reconstructor...

I'll let you know how it turns out....Thanks again, I so love the LOVE in this place ! :bouncy:

Blessings !

Are you relaxed or natural? You should be using some kind of DC after the Aphogee. Maybe it's too strong for your hair? I tried it once and didn't like it. My hair felt nasty and I had to DC multiple times afterward. I never tried it again. I use ORS paks for protein. Or an egg and evoo mixture.

bmoreflyygirl said:
Are you relaxed or natural? You should be using some kind of DC after the Aphogee. Maybe it's too strong for your hair? I tried it once and didn't like it. My hair felt nasty and I had to DC multiple times afterward. I never tried it again. I use ORS paks for protein. Or an egg and evoo mixture.

Yeah, sis...that's what I was thinking...I may have to switch proteins. Much like you, after my aphogee trmt for damaged hair I have to use like...2 - 3 deep moisterizing conditioners ( Mizani moisterfuse, after rinse still hard ..... so I'll do a keracare humecto, after rinse still hard...so , I might do a EVOO, after rinse still hard (lol, what a pattern :lol:...a "hard" pattern :lol: ) so I just give up on the conditioners, apply a moisterizing leave in which softens only after i pack on the entire jar...then I move on...

BUT, my hair shouldn't be hard after several moisterizing conditioners...especially those good ones...so I'll change proteins, one that's not as harsh...and see how that goes...I'm going to start a thread / poll on which ones are the best for my problem...

thicknlong said:
Yeah, sis...that's what I was thinking...I may have to switch proteins. Much like you, after my aphogee trmt for damaged hair I have to use like...2 - 3 deep moisterizing conditioners ( Mizani moisterfuse, after rinse still hard ..... so I'll do a keracare humecto, after rinse still hard...so , I might do a EVOO, after rinse still hard (lol, what a pattern :lol:...a "hard" pattern :lol: ) so I just give up on the conditioners, apply a moisterizing leave in which softens only after i pack on the entire jar...then I move on...

BUT, my hair shouldn't be hard after several moisterizing conditioners...especially those good ones...so I'll change proteins, one that's not as harsh...and see how that goes...I'm going to start a thread / poll on which ones are the best for my problem...

And yes, I do leave the moist cond's on for HOURS ....starting under the dryer w/ a plastic cap for an hour then I walk around the house...so I think the protein maybe too hard....I'm going to solicit LHCF's advice on this one also...look out...I'm getting info and instituting improvements...MID BACK LENGTH, I'm comin for ya ! :lol:

baglady215 said:
I think you should get you a good chelating shampoo to combat the hard water.

That might be true. I'm scared tho...will it make my hair harder? I've used a clarifying shampoo before, and my hair felt like chalk had been rubbed thru it.

If I can find something to remove the hard deposits, I can then start all over with only bought water to shampoo and condition. That will stop shedding from the hard water, and stop the breaking from the tangling bought on by the hard water.

What chelating / clarifiying items are least harsh ?

Do I have to re-protein, re-moisterize to add what it removes ?

Do tell....:)

Are you relaxed or natural? If you're natural, you don't really need too much protein. Aubrey GBP is very popular for a light protein.

thicknlong said:
That might be true. I'm scared tho...will it make my hair harder? I've used a clarifying shampoo before, and my hair felt like chalk had been rubbed thru it.

If I can find something to remove the hard deposits, I can then start all over with only bought water to shampoo and condition. That will stop shedding from the hard water, and stop the breaking from the tangling bought on by the hard water.

What chelating / clarifiying items are least harsh ?

Do I have to re-protein, re-moisterize to add what it removes ?

Do tell....:)

When you used a clarifying shampoo, did you follow up with a moisturizing one?

I just bought Redken Cleansing Cream and it doesn't make my hair hard. It actually makes it really soft. I've used Paul Mitchell Shampoo 3 and that is pretty good too.

nelli711 said:
When you used a clarifying shampoo, did you follow up with a moisturizing one?

I just bought Redken Cleansing Cream and it doesn't make my hair hard. It actually makes it really soft. I've used Paul Mitchell Shampoo 3 and that is pretty good too.

okay....I'll try the least hardening/tangling product. Sounds like it's the redken. when i do, i'll let you know what happened. Thanks * hugs *

nappywomyn said:
Also - when is the last time you clarified? Excessive build-up can make your hair crunchy/brittle too....

That's what i am thinking. Piling products on top of it won't help unless you clarify.

Just to add, hard water used to do a number on my hair. I mean, absolutely NOTHING would work to soften my hair. Before I discovered chelating shampoos, I would use distilled water to wash my hair. It made a WORLD of difference. But yes, try the shampoo and see how it goes.

baglady215 said:
Just to add, hard water used to do a number on my hair. I mean, absolutely NOTHING would work to soften my hair. Before I discovered chelating shampoos, I would use distilled water to wash my hair. It made a WORLD of difference. But yes, try the shampoo and see how it goes.

Uh-oh. You just stopped me in my tracks. You are saying the very thing that's happening to me. Since moving to this new area, the water is doing a number on not just my and my other family's skin and hair.

Like you said, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING softens my hair after rinsing with that stuff. Kcare humecto, ORS hair mayo, Motions moisture plus, ALL used to leave my hair feeling like silk...now...a brick after I rinse... this new town i live in has water that can kill ! :D

So, you used the Redkin cream to clarify/chelate ? With distilled water ? Then started over with your moist and protein conditioners ? What about your perms , did you rinse with hard tap water or distilled ?

Please help me, my hair is about to drive me nuts and as healthy as it is...it's shedding :(

Yup, it's probably the water. Since I've moved from an area with hard water to an area with less hard water, I've noticed a big difference.

I used to use distilled water (the gallon jugs from Walmart) to do my whole wash. Well, that was time consuming and a lot of water. Then I read a post here on LHCF saying to just initially WET the hair with distilled water, do the rest of your wash with tap water, and end with a final rinse of distilled water. The theory was that the hair absorbs most of the water when your hair is dry, and then using tap from there on out doesn't really soak into the hair. I got pretty good results with that.

Another thing you may want to look into is a shower filter. A lot of ladies have had success with them. There are also whole house water softeners, but they are expensive.

I've used Paul Mitchell Shampoo Three to clarify/chelate with good results. Redken will do as well, also Kenra Clarifying and Nexxus Aloe Rid. I never mixed the distilled water AND the chelating shampoo, but you should have great results.

I would stay away from the protein until your hair gets back together, and then assess from there. Chelate, moisturizing shampoo, and deep condition with a moisturizing conditioner. Let us know how you make out!

baglady215 said:
Yup, it's probably the water. Since I've moved from an area with hard water to an area with less hard water, I've noticed a big difference.

I used to use distilled water (the gallon jugs from Walmart) to do my whole wash. Well, that was time consuming and a lot of water. Then I read a post here on LHCF saying to just initially WET the hair with distilled water, do the rest of your wash with tap water, and end with a final rinse of distilled water. The theory was that the hair absorbs most of the water when your hair is dry, and then using tap from there on out doesn't really soak into the hair. I got pretty good results with that.

Another thing you may want to look into is a shower filter. A lot of ladies have had success with them. There are also whole house water softeners, but they are expensive.

I've used Paul Mitchell Shampoo Three to clarify/chelate with good results. Redken will do as well, also Kenra Clarifying and Nexxus Aloe Rid. I never mixed the distilled water AND the chelating shampoo, but you should have great results.

I would stay away from the protein until your hair gets back together, and then assess from there. Chelate, moisturizing shampoo, and deep condition with a moisturizing conditioner. Let us know how you make out!

:kiss: :kiss: :kiss: Thank you sooooo very much ! Esp for the specific instructions on what to do ( stay away from the protein until your hair gets back together....Chelate, moisturizing shampoo, and deep condition with a moisturizing conditioner ) I will do this and let you guys know how it works.

Wish I didn't have to use that water when I perm. Oh , lol , talk about a HOT mess :lachen: . Girrrrl, it ain't NO joke :lol: !

I have a shower filter, but girl, when I run my fingers thru it, my fingers are still hard to rub against each other...so my filter isn't working the best, got it from Lowes.

I would LOVE a water softener...but 250 bucks just isn't in a sista's budgest right now, ya know ?

Back