Happy hair one day, sad the next. SIGH..Want my bounce back!

Hairsnob

Deep Thinker
Hello ladies,

Newby with more questions :grin:

My hair recently started feeling weighed down. Here's a little timeline of what I did:

Week 1: I used Biosilk shampoo for the first time and DC'd with Organics Cholesterol and my hair felt WONDERFUL!! Continued using CHI Silk Infusion daily and Fantasia IC heat protectant for my only after wash flat-ironing. :drunk:

Week 2: I tried co-washing for the first time and DC'd using Organics Cholesterol (it was a disaster for me - hair was VERY limp and dry). :wallbash: So I washed it right away with Biosilk and DC'd again with the Organics Cholesterol. Hair still felt limp and dry. Continued using CHI Silk Infusion daily and Fantasia IC heat protectant for my only after wash flat-ironing.

Week 3: I put my perm in along with my Via semi-perm rinse and DC'd again with the Organics cholesterol - hair STILL limp and dry but a LITTLE better.:ohwell:

From reading in these forums (thanks ladies) I'm seeing that I may need to use a clarifying shampoo to get rid of the build-up... RIGHT? I thought the perm would have gotten rid of the build-up?

I'm lost, please help!! My hair is just not the same anymore and I want my shine and bounce back :nono: Plus, if I keep using clarifying shampoos, won't that keep stripping my semi-perm color also?

Thanks in advance!!

Do you no-lye relaxers? If so, that may be the problem. No lye leaves calcium deposits in your hair and this is worsened if you have hard water. A chelating shampoo will penetrate your hair shaft and remove all deposits. Think of it as a clarifying poo on steroids :) A good chelating shampoo is ORS Creamy Aloe. Lather and leave it on for about 5 minutes, you have to give it enough time to do its job. After chelating, it's important to use a good moisturizing dc to replenish the moisture loss.

It's the CHI infusion. It left my hair a dull mess in the past. The more I used it, the worse my hair looked. I would suggest clarifying and cutting back on the CHI

I don't like the CHI either. I also agree with the clarify / chelate suggestion.

I would say that you need a good keratin protein like in the JOICO products such as K-Pack or Silk if you want your hair to have bounce and shine and strength on a regular basis.

Do you no-lye relaxers? If so, that may be the problem. No lye leaves calcium deposits in your hair and this is worsened if you have hard water. A chelating shampoo will penetrate your hair shaft and remove all deposits. Think of it as a clarifying poo on steroids :) A good chelating shampoo is ORS Creamy Aloe. Lather and leave it on for about 5 minutes, you have to give it enough time to do its job. After chelating, it's important to use a good moisturizing dc to replenish the moisture loss.

Wow! Never knew about the calcium deposits. Looks like I have to seriously start thinking about trying lye perms. I'm so afraid to try lye again since losing my hair years ago from a bad perm job with Affirm though.

I'm so glad to have a reference for a good chelating poo and I will know what to look for and I would have never known to leave it on for 5 minutes.

Thanks bunches!!:grin:

It's the CHI infusion. It left my hair a dull mess in the past. The more I used it, the worse my hair looked. I would suggest clarifying and cutting back on the CHI

Aw man, so the CHI results were short-lived :ohwell: I will definitely cut back on that.

Thanks so much!! :grin:

I don't like the CHI either. I also agree with the clarify / chelate suggestion.

I would say that you need a good keratin protein like in the JOICO products such as K-Pack or Silk if you want your hair to have bounce and shine and strength on a regular basis.

You ladies have been a big help. I have to write this all down so I won't forget because I get in the store and my mind goes blank on what I was supposed to look for. :look:

Thanks!!:grin:

I love Chi Silk Infusion. I usually only use it on wash day on wet hair, and only when I am going to do a rollerset or flat iron. I don't think you should stop using it on wash days, but maybe not every day.

I have always used no-lye and I don't chelate or clarify, so I can't help you with that. I never even know people still used lye before joining board. I feel like sulfates are strong enough to prevent build up.

IMO, you may simply be lacking moisture. It doesn't look like you have a good moisturizing DC or daily moisturizer, or leave-in in your regimen. CSI isn't moisturizing. I usually apply a creamy leave-in and then the CSI.

Maybe cowashing is not for you. It doesn't work for me. My hair always feels weighed down when I cowash.

Clarifying once per month will help keep the buildup away. You'll get that bounce back! A lot of products adds buildup to your hair cones, cowashing, DCs, etc. And you must remove it so that you'll keep that bounce and swang in the hair. Everyone should clarify. How often is up to you.

I hope this helps you girlie!!

Wow! Never knew about the calcium deposits. Looks like I have to seriously start thinking about trying lye perms. I'm so afraid to try lye again since losing my hair years ago from a bad perm job with Affirm though.

I'm so glad to have a reference for a good chelating poo and I will know what to look for and I would have never known to leave it on for 5 minutes.

Thanks bunches!!:grin:
No prob, Bob :D .... If no lye is what works for you, keep using it! I LOVE no lye, but made the decision to switch to lye because of thyroid problems. Just make sure you stay on top of your chelating game (about once every month) and you'll be a-okay :)

Chi SI is a good product- just don't use it everyday. I also use no-lye relaxers, and no, they don't cause builup. I hear people complaining about hair problems including breakage way too much while using lye relaxers. That's some harsh stuff!

Now, for me, My hair loves Lye Relaxers. Mizani. for color treated hair or just reg. I didn't care for the BB. I have a no-lye perm and I'm in tears. My hair is limp and thin. I'm wondering if I'm getting old. (Smile) or what. I did just remove micros, but never experienced such thin hair. Thanks Denise, I might try clarifying to see if this gives me some bounce.

Why were you using CHI SI daily?

Gee, I'm learning so much! I had no clue I wasn't supposed to use CHI SI daily. I wash and flat-iron on wash day and then bun for the rest of the week so I thought it would be okay to use daily.

Thanks, I will DEFINITELY ease up on that!! :grin:

Now, for me, My hair loves Lye Relaxers. Mizani. for color treated hair or just reg. I didn't care for the BB. I have a no-lye perm and I'm in tears. My hair is limp and thin. I'm wondering if I'm getting old. (Smile) or what. I did just remove micros, but never experienced such thin hair. Thanks Denise, I might try clarifying to see if this gives me some bounce.

I think micros can ruin your hair depending on the type of hair used. Maybe it's chemicals in the hair??? But they dried my hair out something horribly even though I thought I was keeping my hair moisturized while they were in. I was expecting to see beautiful hair when I took them out but instead it looked worse than when they were first put in.

I love Chi Silk Infusion. I usually only use it on wash day on wet hair, and only when I am going to do a rollerset or flat iron. I don't think you should stop using it on wash days, but maybe not every day.

I have always used no-lye and I don't chelate or clarify, so I can't help you with that. I never even know people still used lye before joining board. I feel like sulfates are strong enough to prevent build up.

IMO, you may simply be lacking moisture. It doesn't look like you have a good moisturizing DC or daily moisturizer, or leave-in in your regimen. CSI isn't moisturizing. I usually apply a creamy leave-in and then the CSI.

Thanks, I never even considered a good leave-in. Didn't know the difference between a moisturizer and whatever CHI SI is. Wow, I have a lot more products to buy. But I'm a shopaholic anyway so I'm thrilled :spinning:

Well I got my swangger back :grin:

I did just as you ladies said and got a deep cleansing shampoo and DC'd and my hair is bouncin and behaving again :yep:. I didn't get a chance to go to the neighborhood BSS to get the products I really wanted and my only choice was going to the overpriced ULTA store. I ended up getting Mizani Puriphying intense cleansing shampoo and just got a pack of the ORS Olive Oil Replenishing pack from Walmart.

I'm on a mission this weekend to get a good leave-in now.

Thanks again ladies!!

Well I got my swangger back :grin:

I did just as you ladies said and got a deep cleansing shampoo and DC'd and my hair is bouncin and behaving again :yep:. I didn't get a chance to go to the neighborhood BSS to get the products I really wanted and my only choice was going to the overpriced ULTA store. I ended up getting Mizani Puriphying intense cleansing shampoo and just got a pack of the ORS Olive Oil Replenishing pack from Walmart.

I'm on a mission this weekend to get a good leave-in now.

Thanks again ladies!!
I've been waiting on an update!! Yaaaay! :yay: I'm glad your hair got its swagger back! :D

Back