Halp! I Need Advice

cocosweet

My 10 y/o dd has been asking for a haircut. It is currently shoulder length after I cut it from MBL a few months ago. I asked her to show me a style she likes and has yet to do it and it has been a month. Every time I do her hair, it is an ordeal and I am tired enough that I am willing to grant her request.

I have concerns about her looking too old though. She is already 5 ft tall and going through puberty. She can already easily pass for 12.

Could someone point me in the direction of short cuts that aren’t too grown?

Thanks in advance.

Has she told you why she wants it short? If it’s a maintenance issue, would she be open to a low maintenance style that only needs to be redone every 3-4 weeks or so, like twists or mini braids. Or maybe even locs? You guys could throw in some spray color to jazz them up a bit if you’re ok with stuff like that.

As for short styles, when my natural hair was short, I rocked mini braids (I still do with long hair too) which looked really youthful on me. I actually used this style to grow my hair to WL.

GL to you, mama!

*my pictures aren’t loading :mad:
Here are some from the web

img_8943.jpg

Collagedown-vi.png

Mini twists might work too?

48c8ee2e6e0caae3b07218e244348fea.jpg

I’m really ready to take the offer of letting her have a haircut off the table because she has yet to show me a single style. When you want something, you whip out pictures, specs and everything. So clearly she ain’t serious.

My go to hairstyle forever has been two strand twists. I grew her hair to WL a few years ago with that style.
What she REALLY wants is for me to let her wear it straightened on a regular basis. That’s a big ole hayell naw in this FL humidity.

She complains so much during styling sessions that it makes me want to shank myself. She assumes shorter hair means less time styling it. Just this morning, I had to tell her that my two strand mini twists took me 5.5 hours to do. I have about 6” of hair, but there’s a lot of hair on my head.

I offered a short natural. Of course, she said no to that. :lachen: I keep telling her, hair takes work.

I’m so over this.

How often are you allowing her to wear it straightened?

Have you tried something like the extra wide curlformers that can give her more of a stretched look without the need for heat?

Youtube natural85 fake a blowout. It can give her some stretch if that's what she's truly looking for.

Is she wanting it cut short and relaxed?

I’m really ready to take the offer of letting her have a haircut off the table because she has yet to show me a single style. When you want something, you whip out pictures, specs and everything. So clearly she ain’t serious.

My go to hairstyle forever has been two strand twists. I grew her hair to WL a few years ago with that style.
What she REALLY wants is for me to let her wear it straightened on a regular basis. That’s a big ole hayell naw in this FL humidity.

She complains so much during styling sessions that it makes me want to shank myself. She assumes shorter hair means less time styling it. Just this morning, I had to tell her that my two strand mini twists took me 5.5 hours to do. I have about 6” of hair, but there’s a lot of hair on my head.

I offered a short natural. Of course, she said no to that. :lachen: I keep telling her, hair takes work.

I’m so over this.

How often are you allowing her to wear it straightened?

Have you tried something like the extra wide curlformers that can give her more of a stretched look without the need for heat?

Youtube natural85 fake a blowout. It can give her some stretch if that's what she's truly looking for.

Is she wanting it cut short and relaxed?
I only straighten it a few times a year. I’ll have to look up naptural85’s faux blowout.

She claims she wants chin length hair. Hmm... I bet she wants a bob and doesn’t know the name for it.

How many young girls want short hair anyway, especially little black girls?

I would demand an answer to why. And then I'd say NO. When she turns 16 then ok.

How many young girls want short hair anyway, especially little black girls?

I would demand an answer to why. And then I'd say NO. When she turns 16 then ok.

I always wanted short hair when I was young, as I had always had long hair. My long hair was impossible to maintain and was always braided. I just really wanted to be able to wear it out. Seems to be the same concept with OP's daughter. The thing is, once I cut it I realized it wasn't as easy as I thought it would be. It was always frizzy, a big floof and never looked good. And of course, since it was short, I couldn't get it into a pony or braid...

I would try getting her box braids or something so she can switch it up. She probably just wants to look different, or she has a lot of girls in her school that have short straight hair and wants to look more like them. :look: That was what happened to me.....

Good luck!

Back