Hairstyles while stretching??

kelleigh

Hello everyone! I just joined the forum a few days ago.

I've been using a lot of the LHCF tips since this summer and have been stretching my relaxer out to 12 weeks. But I keep running into styling problems at week 7 (which is where I am now). This is about the time that my hair starts to look not so cute unless I just do a braid out. :sad:

How do I keep my hair looking cute with 7+ weeks of new growth? Does anyone have any tips for great hairstyles? What's the best technique for keeping roots straight after roller setting that causes the least amount of damage? Should I just flat iron the roots? I would also love any product suggestions that will keep my hair looking fresh.

Thanks!

I wear my hair up in a bun, french roll, fake pony or half wig alot during stretching. I haven't really learned how to make my hair look good down when I'm 7 weeks post.

If I were you I would try braid outs, twist outs and bantu knots (you find find alot of info on this forum and youtube.com) and see if it works for you. I think it's okay to flat iron your roots but I wouldn't do it more than 1x per week.

Stretching is a sacrifice so that my hair can grow thicker and longer and I tell you it's working!!! :yep::grin::drunk:

****off to moisturize****

Last edited:
I'm using mega tek and it's causing me to stretch at week 2!!! I've got 1/4 inch in the front and a 1/2 inch at the crown and I just relaxed a little over a week ago! (PJ product rave over...)

Anyway, this is what I do: Moisturize the heck out of your hair, especially your ends. Maybe put on some castor oil.

Take 2 of those narrow elastic headbands (I think the brand is Goody. It's got a little sticky/rubberized inside to prevent sliding) and pull them over your head like you're putting on a necklace.

Gather your hair into a loose bun and put either a hair clip (the jaw kind) or bobby pins/good hair days pins and just tuck it in the back. This should be really loose, but not enough to come undone.

Then position one of the bands near your hairline, and the other about 1-2 inches back. It makes your hair look kind of ancient grecian and you can wear this with a pair of nice earrings and a maxi dress and you can go out on the town still looking nice with your partially afro roots out in public. :-)

I've gotten a lot of compliments off this style.

I love this look only because the french braids smooths out the kinks in front. The rest is pulled back in a regular bun while wet and shiny!!!!

My hair looks a hot mess before this french braid. This gets rid of that "puffiness" that comes along with NG.
347393702.jpg

I haven't done a decent rollerset yet so I can't help with that. I agree what with what was said above................... moisturize!!!!

I love this look only because the french braids smooths out the kinks in front. The rest is pulled back in a regular bun while wet and shiny!!!!

My hair looks a hot mess before this french braid. This gets rid of that "puffiness" that comes along with NG.
347393702.jpg

I haven't done a decent rollerset yet so I can't help with that. I agree what with what was said above................... moisturize!!!!

Cute Idea. I'm natural...for now, but taking note.

I did twistouts from weeks 12-18 when I last stretched. Here's a picture.

Attachments

• pix 010.jpg
    pix 010.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 25
Thanks everyone for the great advice! I think that moisturizing could help a lot.

I've been doing doing braid outs past week 7, but I wanted to try something new for the holidays. Maybe I'll try a twist out. I'm a former flat iron addict and I still miss have straight hair.

That being said, my hair has grown so much more than it ever did when I was flat ironing daily.

Curly styles have been great for me while stretching because people can't really see the new growth. Rollersetting is good and curlformers are great.

Back