Hair's Love/Hate relationship with H2O

Luvcurlies1984

"The Mostly Love and Little Bit of Hate Relationship between Your Hair and Water "This was sent to me by Chicoro. It's such a good read that I thought I would share :-).

"Hair has a natural affinity or attraction to water. Hair is said to be hygroscopic. That means it readily absorbs moisture from the atmosphere. That doesn't mean your hair is going to necessarily feel wet to the touch, though. This is happening on a molecular, microscopic level that you can't see and probably can't feel, but it's going on. "

"Your Hair's Cries for Water
Healthy hair, that hasn't been heat damaged or had chemicals used on it tends to have the greatest barrier against moisture entering into the hair stand. Huh? You thought I said hair loves moisture and absorbs it from the environment, right? Well, I did. But hair that has very little structural damage to the cuticle, cortex and/or medulla, tends to have the greatest barrier to water entering into the hair strand. Why? Hair that is healthy tends to have most of its structure in place. Specifically, the outermost component of the hair strand, the cuticle, has the job of forming a protective seal on the strand. Its job is to keep excess water and other potentially harmful substances out of the hair strand."

"It's okay to spray or use water on your healthy hair. That is because healthy hair will absorb what it needs and block out what it doesn't need. For hair that has been damaged, water can be problematic."

"Your Hair's Cries because of Water
If your hair has been (1) color treated, (2) relaxed or (2) permanently waved, then some of the bonds of your hair have been destroyed. Those bonds are the sulfur to sulfur bonds on your hair which give it its strength. You might know them as "disulfide bonds". When these bonds are changed, inevitably some of them are destroyed forever. This then compromises the structure of the hair strand. Quite simply, it damages the hair structure."

"Hair that experiences any of these types of treatments becomes more porous. It gets 'holes' in it. All three treatments expose the hair to highly basic substances. These very basic substances, with pH ranges over 7, often close to 12, cause the hair strand to swell and soften."

"The softened hair is weakened, as explained in the above information. That's not all though. The next time the hair is exposed to water, as in washing or some other form of wetting, the hair cuticle can no longer regulate water absorption like it did before the chemical treatments. So now, more water may pass through the strand than the hair can handle. What happens? The hair strand ruptures. Then guess what? The hair may start to get little fissures, or openings on the hair strand. It becomes porous and can no longer hold water or keep it out. It may dry out, or it may split and break. Water can be a blessing or a curse, depending of the state and health of your hair. Care for your hair so it can drink freely of all the water that you give it."

BeautifyBitByBitGi.com

by Chicoro.

Last edited:
Back