hairlove's first salon experience as a natural

inthepink

hairlove\'s first salon experience as a natural

I made an appointment to get my hair flatironed and trimmed with a stylist I found on afrohair.com. I was so nervous about it that I couldn't sleep last night!

Well, I'm back home from my appointment and overall, I am pleased. I'd rate the experience a 4.5 out of 5. I will definitely go back.

Positives:
Stylist wears her hair naturally curly and occasionally straight so she understood my hair.
The salon is clean and professional. (They even serve you beer and wine if you want it!)
She used a Chi flat iron on my hair along with a heat protectant and only swept the iron through my hair once.
My hair is SUPER straight, soft, bouncy, and light!

Negatives:
A little pricey. I paid $70 for my flatiron and supertrim. (I needed my layers evened out b/c they were staircasey.)
Hair wasn't curled enough. (There are no curling irons in the place! They curl hair with chi irons.)
In order to save my length, she trimmed into sections to even out the layers. Not bad just different than what I'm used to.

I plan to go again in mid-December or early January for another trim to continue to even out my layers. She said she saw a bit of damage on the back that may still be from my relaxer. She plans to help me grow my hair into a style that will look really nice while curly and straight. Next time, I will tell her that I want more curls and eventually blunt cut hair.

Re: hairlove\'s first salon experience as a natural

Hooray!!! /images/graemlins/weird.gif I'm glad you had a great salon experience. It's refreshing to hear good salon experiences. I can't wait to see the pics. /images/graemlins/Flahssssss.gif

Man, it's so hard to find a stylist that straightens hair the way you want. I'm glad you're happy with the results. /images/graemlins/trampoline.gif

It's so good that you had a good experience. I'm waiting on the pictures too!

I'm so glad that you had a good experience /images/graemlins/grin.gif I cant wait to see the new 'do.

I'm really glad it went well for you!!! We're all waiting for those pics..lol

I'm glad that you had a good experience. How much did she trim off?

Glad that you had a good experience. Sounds like your stylist is also interested in healthy hair (no curling irons in site :-)

[ QUOTE ]
I'm glad that you had a good experience. How much did she trim off?

[/ QUOTE ]

I probably lost about 1/2 inch all over. My hair is now in long layers. The back is a few inches below my shoulders and the front angles down to my shoulders.

how come i've never ben able to se pics? lol btu i'm glad you had a great experience!

So glad you had a great salon experience. Can't wait for the pics /images/graemlins/trampoline.gif

I posted a couple of pictures. I plan to curl the ends a bit tomorrow and I'll try to take some more then.

VERY nice hairlove. I hope you readd your other albums. They were very inspirational. Whenever I get ready to give up and relax I tell myself if HairLove did it I can do it and stick it out. Its working so far but I'm really itching to do a big chop or relax it. Congrats on your salon experience!!

She did a really nice job with the trim. It is very straight but looks like it still has nice body to it.
You are so reminding me that I need to get a professional to shape up my hair, but I'm still scared of getting scalped at the salon. Glad you had a good experience.

[ QUOTE ]
She did a really nice job with the trim. It is very straight but looks like it still has nice body to it.
You are so reminding me that I need to get a professional to shape up my hair, but I'm still scared of getting scalped at the salon. Glad you had a good experience.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jetcity - I so understand! I was so nervous that I didn't get a wink of sleep last night. It took me over two weeks to finally make a dead-on decision to see someone...esp someone I had no recommendation for. I really struggled with it. I think you have to really explain that you DON'T WANT TO LOSE LENGTH. That seems to really get them to just trim a little bit. She was trimming my hair for a long time which made me nervous but it was b/c she was blending in those layers. It looks tons better after the trim than before. Just take your time and remember that a nice trim will give your hair a nice shape (straight or curly) and even with a tad too much trim, it WILL grow back!

I was also feeling like I could just take care of my hair myself but all my life (since 13), I've had a stylist regularly take care of my hair at least every 2 months. I think I still need that. As much as I would like to receive professional quality hair at home, I still would like that stylist that I can call!

(Sorry, I'm so long-winded!)

Your hair looks great Hairlove! I am like Jet, I need a professional trim but I am scared that all my hard work will go down the drain messin with these stylists around here. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Hairlove your hair looks great! I'm glad you found a stylist that you are comfortable and satisfied with. Your hair is growing back fast - you'll be back at your original length in no time /images/graemlins/smile.gif

The new cut looks great. Your hair hair also looks like it's getting thicker. Keep up the great healthy hair care!

Nice cut Hairlove. I second whoever said bring back your old hair albums too - your documentation of your journey is quite inspiring.

Wow Hairlove! Your hair looks great! Glad you had a great experience.

your hair looks great..and the ends are very thick too /images/graemlins/up.gif

Your hair looks great! I'm glad you had a good experience. Your hair grows like weeds - LOL! You'll be back to BS and waistlength before you know it. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Your hair looks really nice hairlove! It looks so healthy and silky in the pics! /images/graemlins/up.gif

Glad to hear of your good experience. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Chichi /images/graemlins/bdance.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Your hair looks great! I'm glad you had a good experience. Your hair grows like weeds - LOL! You'll be back to BS and waistlength before you know it. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking the EXACT same thing, Hairlove. /images/graemlins/clap.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking the same EXACT thing!!!! /images/graemlins/up.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Nice cut Hairlove. I second whoever said bring back your old hair albums too - your documentation of your journey is quite inspiring.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ditto! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Back