Hair whilst backpacking!

Channy31

Hi ladies,

I need some advice, I'm going backpacking this autumn around Bali, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji and America but have no clue what to do with my hair.

I will be swimming, surfing, diving and snorkelling often. Also, I'll be able to bring limited products with me since they'll be heavy and I'll often be sharing dorms with people.

Also, I don't want to spend hours and hours twisting my hair etc. rather than getting out there and enjoying travelling.

I don't particularly want braids tbh since my hair line is some what sensitive, so my plan was to wear a churlyish weave with leave out round my edges.

Also, I was thinking if my weave is awful by the time I get to america I can just cut it out, I really don't care if it ends up tangling up

I also want to look nice in my travel photos, so I don't know if my frizz prone hair will cut it haha.

Any advice?

This is the hair i'll be having (minus the colour)
2lsfh93.png

Last edited:
I wouldn't wear a weave doing all that.

Sent from my Snow White Frost Galaxy S4 using LHCF

I don't know if this was suggested or not but why not get your own hair twists or in individual braids without the added hair? Trust me, braids will not make your hair fall out. Since weaving it may be damaging and a wig is out of the question, it sounds like for everything you want to do braids would be ideal, even over Senegalese twists (all the water would make your hair frizzy).

Or, maybe cornrow your hair.

I don't know if this was suggested or not but why not get your own hair twists or in individual braids without the added hair? Trust me, braids will not make your hair fall out. Since weaving it may be damaging and a wig is out of the question, it sounds like for everything you want to do braids would be ideal, even over Senegalese twists (all the water would make your hair frizzy).

Or, maybe cornrow your hair.

I haven't ever had braids before and I feel like they may emphasise my big head though haha :look:

I'm leaning towards my natural hair atm, i was planning on getting 2-3 inches cut before or after I go anyway.

I think Senegalese twists or braids will be your best bet. Every time I travel extensively (3+ months) I get braids. You can moisturize your hair well before they are put in, wash when needed focusing on your scalp, and carry a homemade oil or butter mix to refresh. It reduces manipulation and if you can, learn to rebrand your own edges to keep the style looking nice after a long run.

I wouldnt worry too much. Youre visiting exotic and beautiful places, dont let your hair get in the way of those experiences, deal with it when you come back. Bun like crazy. Also remember that the water in some of those places is different than what you're used to. Take what you know you cant find anywhere and let go.

I would do some light research on the places youre going, as far as what products are readily available there, ie coconut oil, etc. that way you buy a small amount there and its not taking up to much space in your luggage.

I think I'd wait and get the ends cut when you come back when you'll have the time and patience to start caring for your hair again. Dont get a sew in. Naturally curly weave is a pain in the *** to take care of., honestly, its more work than most people think. and with no air dryers the braids underneath will take forever to dry and you run the risk of the moldy smell and matting. If you were going for a few weeks then fine but for a few months? No way.

With all that, yea... keep your own hair. Buns. All you'll need to bring is your DC and sealant. Once you get to the States, you can get every black hair product mentioned on this board and then some :lol:. In the meantime, shampoo with hotel shampoos and use the cheap hotel conditioners as your leave in.

I DIY'd Marley Twists when I went on a 3 week vacation to Thailand, and they were perfect... I chose to retwist/retouch the twist every week - 1.5 weeks because I preferred them to look tighter, but you don't necessarily have to. I used Jamaican/Marley hair, and the twists were much lighter than box braids I've had in the past. They were easy to rinse out at the end of the day, didn't retain much water after sqeezing excess out, and were easy to pile on top of my head while doing active activities like hiking, climbing, swimming, etc. I know you're worried about tension along your hairline, but the great thing about DIY is that you can control that... And you can also fix them on the go if they get too loose. I just brought a bristle brush with me, and used hotel conditioner if I needed to detangle.

Channy31 The weave is going to end up looking, feeling, and being terrible for your hair. Cutting it will do nothing for how bad it will turn out looking for the pictures you want to take. :lol: The braids underneath will catch water and all sorts of nasty things underneath and you won't be able to do anything about it. Setback waiting to happen.

I would suggest just bunning your own hair or putting in some medium sized braids with your own hair. At least you can wash them properly and moisturize.

With all that, yea... keep your own hair. Buns. All you'll need to bring is your DC and sealant. Once you get to the States, you can get every black hair product mentioned on this board and then some :lol:. In the meantime, shampoo with hotel shampoos and use the cheap hotel conditioners as your leave in.

Thanks! Although I don't think we will be staying in hotels, I think Ill bring some travel shampoo and buy some when I get in big towns.

Natural hair it is!

I DIY'd Marley Twists when I went on a 3 week vacation to Thailand, and they were perfect... I chose to retwist/retouch the twist every week - 1.5 weeks because I preferred them to look tighter, but you don't necessarily have to. I used Jamaican/Marley hair, and the twists were much lighter than box braids I've had in the past. They were easy to rinse out at the end of the day, didn't retain much water after sqeezing excess out, and were easy to pile on top of my head while doing active activities like hiking, climbing, swimming, etc. I know you're worried about tension along your hairline, but the great thing about DIY is that you can control that... And you can also fix them on the go if they get too loose. I just brought a bristle brush with me, and used hotel conditioner if I needed to detangle.

Thanks! I'm just worried about when I'll be able to twist. I really don't want to miss out on things. Thanks a lot for your advice though, I'll be looking into twists :)

Channy31 The weave is going to end up looking, feeling, and being terrible for your hair. Cutting it will do nothing for how bad it will turn out looking for the pictures you want to take. :lol: The braids underneath will catch water and all sorts of nasty things underneath and you won't be able to do anything about it. Setback waiting to happen.

I would suggest just bunning your own hair or putting in some medium sized braids with your own hair. At least you can wash them properly and moisturize.

Okay, i'm sorta glad because that saves me some money. Might buy a go pro instead hehe.
Bunning it is, I'll probably wear it loose too. Just see what happens I guess.

I wouldnt worry too much. Youre visiting exotic and beautiful places, dont let your hair get in the way of those experiences, deal with it when you come back. Bun like crazy. Also remember that the water in some of those places is different than what you're used to. Take what you know you cant find anywhere and let go.

I would do some light research on the places youre going, as far as what products are readily available there, ie coconut oil, etc. that way you buy a small amount there and its not taking up to much space in your luggage.

I think I'd wait and get the ends cut when you come back when you'll have the time and patience to start caring for your hair again. Dont get a sew in. Naturally curly weave is a pain in the *** to take care of., honestly, its more work than most people think. and with no air dryers the braids underneath will take forever to dry and you run the risk of the moldy smell and matting. If you were going for a few weeks then fine but for a few months? No way.

You're right, I'm not 100% sure where we are going yet and I may not actually know until it happens haha! Thanks for the advice.

Natural hair it is :) Lots of buns I think

Back