Hair Update **PICS** Dec 09 - Oct '10

Aina1000

Hi Everyone!

This is my first thread, despite me lurking the forums for over a year! I decided to come out from hiding and show you guys my progress.

A brief history of my hair journey:

-My natural texture is 3C/4A – i think.

-I've been relaxed since I was 13, however I did unintentionally transition to natural when I was 17, but soon after I relaxed my hair again.

-The longest my hair has been is BSL - both when I was natural (before my first relaxer) and when I was relaxed (when I was 14).

-In July 2009 my hair was cut to Neck length.

-My last relaxer was end of Nov 09. I was heavily manipulating heat and using clip-on extensions, so I was not able to retain much growth. My hair was so limp and thin I couldn’t possibly wear it out by itself so I would wear the clip-ins, and became very dependent on them.

-I'm currently transitioning from Relaxed to Natural hair.

-In April 2010 I decided to cut heat out from my routine, since then I have only straightened my hair 3 times.

- I don't take any vitamins, I wash my hair once a week, co-wash once a week, air dry, and constantly wear protective styling.

- I plan to transition for 24months or until my natural hair reaches SL.

What I've noticed about LHCF members is how supportive everyone is, and I really appreciate being part of a community where women are encouraging and teaching each other.

I've lost a lot of my pictures from the early stages of my hair journey but July 09 my hair was above my shoulders - Neck length, and VERY very thin, and now, I think its APL length?

Dec 09 - Thin lifeless limp hair. Naturally 'W' shape but this pic doesn't show that.

March 2010 - No trim since July 09. Horrible Ends - looks thicker than what it was!

Sept 2010- Combed out dry bun

Sept 2010 - Back shot of Combed out dry bun - Much thicker than before

Oct 2010 - Natural W shape - APL???

Attachments

• SNV36420.jpg
    SNV36420.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 277
  • SNV36389.jpg
    SNV36389.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 193
  • Hair4 27Sep2010.jpg
    Hair4 27Sep2010.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 186
  • SNV36051.jpg
    SNV36051.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 152
  • SNV35811.jpg
    SNV35811.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 185
Welcome Aina1000. You have made a lot of great progress. You are definitely APL. I think you probably are close to grazing BSL maybe if you arms are down.

I am new here as well. And I agree with you - there is a lot of support and encouragement here.

Nice progress! I think you are below APL for sure, take a picture with at least one of your arms down to see your true length. HHJ!

Welcome to the forum where you will definitely find a lot of support from all here. Wow girl yr hair does seem to grow fast! I threw in my transition towel after 24 months! Hope you do continue yrs tho..

Thanks guys, I appreciate the support!!

wonderful progress, and wth did u do from march to sept :grin:

From March - Sept i used a curly 'phony pony' which i'd mostly bun up and didnt really do much else. I spent most the summer in Nigeria so I think the heat sort of gave me a growth spurt, but ive always had such SLOW hair growth, and all of a sudden IT GREW!!!

I left my hair alone, instead of doing too much to it like i would before. I didnt even wash my hair every week over the summer... I co-washed it every 2 weeks and washed with shampoo every month i think??? with ridiculous shampoos and conditioners (The good ones were overpriced in Lagos so I just used anything). I didnt use any heat, and bought a pair of straighteners just yesterday so I could upload these pics. I hope to be BSL by next October *Fingers crossed* but ive always had really really slow growth, i dont know what changed

Thanks guys, I appreciate the support!!

From March - Sept i used a curly 'phony pony' which i'd mostly bun up and didnt really do much else. I spent most the summer in Nigeria so I think the heat sort of gave me a growth spurt, but ive always had such SLOW hair growth, and all of a sudden IT GREW!!!

I left my hair alone, instead of doing too much to it like i would before. I didnt even wash my hair every week over the summer... I co-washed it every 2 weeks and washed with shampoo every month i think??? with ridiculous shampoos and conditioners (The good ones were overpriced in Lagos so I just used anything). I didnt use any heat, and bought a pair of straighteners just yesterday so I could upload these pics. I hope to be BSL by next October *Fingers crossed* but ive always had really really slow growth, i dont know what changed

Well it sure worked. I guess just letting your hair be, is good after all. I may have to lay off the heat and stop washing every week then. Thanks

Well done, hon! You're almost BSL! :yay:
I am also transitioning to natural aiming to go for 24 months minimum!
I want to see how long my hair can get, combined length natural and texlaxed.....
Good luck on the transition!

Very nice progress. Your hair does look thicker and it has grown. To know for sure whether you're at APL, you will need to have one of your arms down. As you can see from the attached image, APL level sort of moves up when you raise your arms which can be rather discouraging if a few months later you see your hair with arms down and it looks as if never budged since you took the above pic.

Attachments

• APL looks different when arm is up from when arm is down.JPG
    APL looks different when arm is up from when arm is down.JPG
    8.1 KB · Views: 5
Back