Hair "umm-duh" moments

envybeauty

Ok. So i had a moment this past weekend. It was when I *finally* realized why my hair was sooo dry for years when I was going to get relaxers

(as dominican stylists always said before every relaxer "mami your hair sooooo dry, why.." she was not kidding....like brillo y'all).

I just realized all these years later.

I used a no-lye perm. The calcium build up prevented moisture from entering my hair shaft. Coupled with that, I used silicones all day every day. Silicon conditioners, serums, sprays. Every night before I wrapped and every morning when I took it down.

Ummmm......duh....I HAD MAJOR BUILDUP!! The deepest of conditioners could not penetrate to moisturize my hair strands through all the calcium and cones. I never clarified (thought clarifying was only for white girls that used hairspray and gels everyday...none of which i used). If I had clarified even once, the deep conditioners could have penetrated my hair.

Now, I wash and airdry every other day and my hair is butta soft! still using my cones though

My other um --duh moment was when I realized that domincan salons use plain VINEGAR to neutralize relaxers! Umm--yeah. That is what tingles.

Any umm-duh moments?

nvybeauty said:
Ok. So i had a moment this past weekend. It was when I *finally* realized why my hair was sooo dry for years when I was going to get relaxers

(as dominican stylists always said before every relaxer "mami your hair sooooo dry, why.." she was not kidding....like brillo y'all).

I just realized all these years later.

I used a no-lye perm. The calcium build up prevented moisture from entering my hair shaft. Coupled with that, I used silicones all day every day. Silicon conditioners, serums, sprays. Every night before I wrapped and every morning when I took it down.

Ummmm......duh....I HAD MAJOR BUILDUP!! The deepest of conditioners could not penetrate to moisturize my hair strands through all the calcium and cones. I never clarified (thought clarifying was only for white girls that used hairspray and gels everyday...none of which i used). If I had clarified even once, the deep conditioners could have penetrated my hair.

Now, I wash and airdry every other day and my hair is butta soft! still using my cones though

My other um --duh moment was when I realized that domincan salons use plain VINEGAR to neutralize relaxers! Umm--yeah. That is what tingles.

Any umm-duh moments?

you can use your cones, my hair loves cones. Just make sure you clarify often:)

I can SO relate to you. Like you, my hair was hard for years and I could not figure out why. When I began clarifying, I no longer had build up or dry hair. My conditioners worked so well. Umm..... DUH!!!!! :lachen:

nvybeauty said:

Any umm-duh moments?

I guess I'm have a duh moment right now. They use vinegar, wow, I did not know that.

yup. some do. that is why i could never figure out which re-used bottle contained the neutralizing shampoo because it seemed like they used any ole shampoo after a perm. turns out, some mix vinegar with regular shampoo to neutralize.

Here's my hair "umm-duh" moment when i realized at the end of last year after getting a perm that my stylist wasn't using neutralizer afterward. I have been going to this lady for years now and i've just been so puzzled as to why does all this breakage keep occuring. So i have bought a 32oz. of neutralizing shampoo for her use when she relaxes my hair next time.

wheezy807 said:
Here's my hair "umm-duh" moment when i realized at the end of last year after getting a perm that my stylist wasn't using neutralizer afterward. I have been going to this lady for years now and i've just been so puzzled as to why does all this breakage keep occuring. So i have bought a 32oz. of neutralizing shampoo for her use when she relaxes my hair next time.

Your stylist didn't neutralize afterwards? *gawks in disbelief* Where in the world did she get her license? Does she even have one?

Shoot...I wouldn't go to her again. You can find another stylist that actually already has neutralizing products and uses them on his/her clients. You shouldn't have to buy your own stuff, especially not for something that is pretty much essential to the relaxing process that she should be using anyway. Chances are, if she's being so negligent on something that important, she could be doing other damaging things to your hair that you may not realize until later.

My "duh" moment was when I realized that I need to let my hair air dry between baggie sessions.

My hair was staying constantly WET and the conditioners never melted into the strands.

Now my feels soft and strong versus wet and mushy!

My "duh" moment came this weekend. My hair has felt really dry the last couple of days, and I was starting to panic because I have been trying to keep it moisturised. Well, I realised it's because of the dry air, and this is something I deal with every winter, and that's why I am always in braids! So, I am getting my hair done on Friday. :grin:

Okay, here's one: I have finally learned in the last few months after shampooing that it is more effective to gently towel dry your hair BEFORE applying conditioner! Not doing so, means you have diluted conditioner on your hair! Ummm-duh!

Royal Glory said:
Okay, here's one: I have finally learned in the last few months after shampooing that it is more effective to gently towel dry your hair BEFORE applying conditioner! Not doing so, means you have diluted conditioner on your hair! Ummm-duh!

I learned that too. The conditioner cant soak in properly because the strands are already filled with water. So I towel dry and then put on my conditioner.

Royal Glory said:

Hehehe, that took me a minute to figure out too. ;)

CurliDiva said:
My "duh" moment was when I realized that I need to let my hair air dry between baggie sessions.

My hair was staying constantly WET and the conditioners never melted into the strands.

Now my feels soft and strong versus wet and mushy!

Ohhhh, no wonder my hair is soo mushy. I thought I was doin big thangs :look:
ummm-duh

Cholet112 said:
I learned that too. The conditioner cant soak in properly because the strands are already filled with water. So I towel dry and then put on my conditioner.

i never knew this :ohwell:

When I realized that needed to moisturize daily and that the grease wasn't working for me
I changed my regimen and my hair was breaking and getting shorter and I was like wah,wah,wah, whats wrong with my hair...Um duh go back to your regular routine
If it ain't broke don't fix it;)

ahhh...right now, what are cones?

To wheezy: My hairdresser washes out the perm and then she puts something on my hair, what I dont know...duh I guess but anywho..she rinses whatever that is out of my hair then its shampood. But now Im thinking if I even get netralizer in my hair. For the most part I never sufferred real breakage...so maybe she puts netralizer in my hair.....

navsegda said:
Your stylist didn't neutralize afterwards? *gawks in disbelief* Where in the world did she get her license? Does she even have one?

Shoot...I wouldn't go to her again. You can find another stylist that actually already has neutralizing products and uses them on his/her clients. You shouldn't have to buy your own stuff, especially not for something that is pretty much essential to the relaxing process that she should be using anyway. Chances are, if she's being so negligent on something that important, she could be doing other damaging things to your hair that you may not realize until later.

co-signing

Back