Hair typing- someone please help me!!!

pinkchocolatedaisy

I apologize in advance... I did do a search- and nothing came up and then I tried again and I got a bunch of threads and not really finding what I needed.

Ok so I've heard all this hair type hype. And I know some think it's total BS- it's not a real science, etc. But a lot of ladies on here state what their hair type is. I get 1 is straight, 2 wavy. But I'm confused on the 3's and 4's. What is 3a,b,c and 4 a, b,c? Can someone please explain or post pix of examples? can't find much doing a Google search either. :nono:

Let me see if I can find a post I made explaining all this.

ETA: Here it is

This used to be one on the LHCF home page. I'm not sure if it's still there. Also, some people find the LOIS hair typing system to be more complete than the 3a, 4b, etc. system.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Examine Your Hair Strand
Select a single strand of the most common type of hair on your head. Aim for the most common texture on your head if you have different hair textures. The hair should be freshly washed without products applied to it and rinsed in cold water. Or, gently rinse a single hair with a little dish detergent and rinse in cold water. Allow the hair to dry on a bit of paper towel so that you can look at the pattern without touching it.
Find Your Pattern
The bends, kinks and coils of your hair will resemble one of more of the letters L, O, I or S.
[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]L - If the hair has all bends, right angles and folds with little to no curve then you are daughter L. [/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]O - If the strand is rolled up into the shape of one or several zeros like a spiral, then you are daughter O.[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I - If the hair lies mostly flat with no distinctive curve or bend you are daughter I.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]S - If the strand looks like a wavy line with hills and valleys then you are daughter S.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]You may have a combination of the L,O,I,S letters, possibly with one dominant. If you cannot see one letter over the others, then combine the letters. Example: LO or IL or OS.
Find Your Strand Size
A strand of frayed thread is about the thickness of a medium sized strand of human hair. If your strand is larger than this, then your hair is thick. If your strand is smaller than this, hair is thin, or fine.

[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Thready - Hair as a low sheen, with high shine if the hair is held taut (as in a braid), with low frizz. Wets easily but water dries out quickly. [/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Wiry - Hair has a sparkly sheen, with low shine and low frizz. Water beads up or bounces off the hair strands. Hair never seems to get fully wet.[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Cottony - Hair has a low sheen, a high shine if the hair is held taunt and has high frizz. Absorbs water quickly but does not get thoroughly wet very fast.[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Spongy - Hair has a high sheen with low shine with a compacted looking frizz. Absorbs water before it gets thoroughly wet.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Silky - Hair has low sheen, a very high shine, with a lot or low frizz. Easily wets in water.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Other Hair Typing Systems
Although we will no longer use Andre Walker's hair type system as explained in his book "Andre Talks Hair," many of you are familiar with it and may wish to continue using it. Generally speaking, Andre's system could stand a few additional letters in the alphabet, but we feel that his intent was to give a general indication of hair types and not a definitive answer to all hair. Many of you will fall in between Andre's descriptions which we hope you will keep in mind as you develop a hair care regimen that works best for you.
Andre types hair from 1 to 4, 1 being the straightest and 4 the curliest:
[/FONT]​
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Type 1a and 1b hair is straight with no curl or wave. This hair type has a lot of shine and tends to be oily. [/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Hair that Andre classifies as Type 2a and 2b has some soft waves but little or no curl. It tends to be coarse and stays clings to the scalp in long S shaped curves. This hair type has very little body, though styling products can help it along.[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Type 3a and 3b hair has a definite "S" pattern to it which is usually fine textured and soft. It does not have as much shine as Type 1 or 2 hair, but it does have a lot of natural body. When this hair type is wet, it straightens out, but then draws up into a curlier state as it dries.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Andre classifies Type 4 hair as kinky textured hair which he defines as being tightly curled. Type 4 hair can be wiry and very fragile. It is also drier than other hair types because the twists in the hair make it harder for the scalp's sebum to reach the ends. Type 4a's hair strand has an "S" shape like spirals. Type 4b has the characteristics of Type 4a, but the hair strand has a zig zag shape like "Z". This makes it more fragile than all of the other hair types and it should be handled accordingly.[/FONT]
This is from: http://ourhair.net/content/view/29/40/1/1/

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Back