Hair Type!

Do you think my hair curl type is 3c?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hey Everyone!

I am a new member here and I am excited to learn more about this forum. I have a question about my hair. I will be inserting a link to my hair photos for you to review. Please let me know my curl pattern, and texture of my hair such as Silky, Cottony, Wiry. I am already aware that my hair is low density, fine, and low porosity, but I am in need of help identifying my curl pattern. You can find my hair photos in this link https://valeriesimmons.smugmug.com/My-First-Gallery/

It looks 4a to me, but may be too short to really type well. It takes longer for larger curls to form, so some of the areas that are just laying down may end up as 3c curlies later when the hair is long enough to make a full rotation. You might end up a mix , which is common. 4a in the front, 3c in the back.

Last edited:
It looks 4a to me, but may be too short to really type well. It takes longer for larger curls to form, so some of the areas that are just laying down may end up as 3c curlies later when the hair is long enough to make a full rotation. You might end up a mix , which is common. 4a in the front, 3c in the back.

Would you say my hair has more sheen or shine?

Sheen. And it looks med-low density.

Thanks. I know you cannot determine my the pattern in which my hair will grow as it gets longer, but from your experience how do assume my hair will look as it gets longer? As you know everyone hair texture different, what do you think my texture is, and do know anyone with similar to me? Thanks for your continued help!

Looks 4a, coily cottony. I'm guessing you just BC'd? Congratulations and good luck on your natural hair journey!!

What was your curl type before and after the growth?

I considered myself a cottony 3c/4a before with more 4a than 3c. Length loosened and stretched my curl pattern out, but I don’t think it completely changed my curl type. The only thing that will make your natural curl pattern looser is better hair care, IMO. And even that isn’t a change so much as your real pattern and texture being more apparent. Today, I still consider myself 3c/4a, but it’s a cottony/silky mix with more 3c than I originally thought I had.

Dont forget that curl type is subjective and probably gets more attention than it should. Focus on your texture and porosity, then perfect your hair care routine. That’s far more important than curl size.

Last edited:
I considered myself a cottony 3c/4a before with more 4a than 3c. Length stretched my curl pattern out, but it didnt change it, IMO. The only thing that will make your natural curl pattern look looser is better hair care. And even that isn’t a change so much as your real pattern and texture being more apparent. Today, I still consider myself 3c/4a, but it’s a cottony/silky mix with more 3c than I originally thought I had.

Dont forget that curl type is subjective and probably gets more attention than it should. Focus on your texture and porosity, then perfect your hair care routine. That’s far more important than curl size.

Thank you. Can you look at my hair photos above and let me know what you think the texture is?

My hair looks like that. So I'd say 4a like most posters here already stated. I thought I was 4b/c but I was corrected on that already. So yeah 4a, cottony is what you are.

Back