Hair Treatment to Restore Moisture and Repair

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date
G

Girls,

My hair is SOOOOOO dry.
crazy.gif
It's not brittle dry, but it's dry. What treatment can I use weekly to get some moisture in my hair?
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

I have tried Aphogee for treatments, but I need moisture BADLY.
shocked.gif

Since summer is coming up... recommend something that will be ok with a braid out.
smile.gif

Have you tried deep conditioning with a cholesterol conditioner such as Queen Helene Creme Cholesterol conditioner? You then may want to try shea butter on your hair. Are you relaxed, texturized or natural? Do you drink plenty of water (at least half your body weight in ounces daily)? That has a significant effect on dryness as well.

Okay. This problem, plus I was looking for info on a ceramic iron, is what initially brought me to this board. I can honestly say that I have never done a treatment to correct my dull, dry looking hair. I simply changed my poo, con and started using a ceramic iron instead of a regular one. I have major shine now
smile.gif
. Now if you don't use heat, that's fine. But what kind of poo and con are you using? What kind of oil or moisturizer? How do you style your hair?

[ QUOTE ]
patience said:
Have you tried deep conditioning with a cholesterol conditioner such as Queen Helene Creme Cholesterol conditioner? You then may want to try shea butter on your hair. Are you relaxed, texturized or natural? Do you drink plenty of water (at least half your body weight in ounces daily)? That has a significant effect on dryness as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do a deep conditioner once a week or so. I am so ashamed... I haven't been doing it as I should
frown.gif
. I just took my braids out because they were looking bad.

Colesterol Conditioner doesn't do much for me.

I haven't been drinking water like I should. I have been slacking because of so much stress. It's hard to focus, but I am going to make a pledge to do better.
frown.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Dolce_Dawn said:
Okay. This problem, plus I was looking for info on a ceramic iron, is what initially brought me to this board. I can honestly say that I have never done a treatment to correct my dull, dry looking hair. I simply changed my poo, con and started using a ceramic iron instead of a regular one. I have major shine now
smile.gif
. Now if you don't use heat, that's fine. But what kind of poo and con are you using? What kind of oil or moisturizer? How do you style your hair?

[/ QUOTE ]

What type of shampoo and conditioner do you use?

[ QUOTE ]
Armyqt said:
Kenra moisturizing shampoo and conditioner and avocado butter as a leave-in.
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Where can I purchase this?

Your body and your hair will definitely thank you for it!!
grin.gif

Have you tried using hair butters as moisturizers? Also, have you clarified lately? Build up can result in dryness as well. Aphogee is good, but isn't that alot of protein? Too much protein isn't good for the body or the hair. Usually leaves hair hard and rough. Have you tried a deep conditioner using a cheap conditioner mixed with olive oil and honey? It may work wonders for your hair.

As for the stress, let it go. I know that's easier said than done, but I'd suggest giving it a shot. If you pray, pray about it and leave it. I hope things get better with whatever you're allowing to stress you.

[ QUOTE ]
Reginia said:
[ QUOTE ]
Dolce_Dawn said:
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I use KeraCare Hydrating poo and Paul Mitchell color care conditioner (I have highlights). I also use Salerm 21 as a leave-in. Surely, you've heard of this by now..
wink.gif
laugh.gif
. Anyhoo- this adds to the silkiness! Your hair can't help but submit!

[ QUOTE ]
Dolce_Dawn said:
[ QUOTE ]
Reginia said:
[ QUOTE ]
Dolce_Dawn said:
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I use KeraCare Hydrating poo and Paul Mitchell color care conditioner (I have highlights). I also use Salerm 21 as a leave-in. Surely, you've heard of this by now..
wink.gif
laugh.gif
. Anyhoo- this adds to the silkiness! Your hair can't help but submit!

[/ QUOTE ]

I have Salerm 21...what about their shampoos?

Oh no Reginia.
blush.gif
But please don't be ashamed. We do the best we can and sometime we all fall short. Save some time soon and give yourself the treatment you deserve. Start w/a hot oil treatment, EVOO, Coconut Oil, etc. Whatever you like. Sit under heat w/the hot oil in for at least 20 mins. Use a moisturizing shampoo and try a moisture rich conditioner, like Nature's Gate Herbal, NG Aloe, Humectress or Humecto, which ever works for you. Add 1/4 c. of coconut milk to your conditioner and sit w/heat for another 20 mins. Rinse in water as cool as you can tolerate too. Use a good leave in and then apply oils and butters to your hair before twisting (making sure to seal the moisture in your ends). Be sure that as you twist (or after, but before the ends dry) you apply something heavy, like an oil and conditioner to the ends to keep them moist. On your next wash day don't use shampoo, rinse and condition wash a few times. Sit w/the heat on the conditioner again and pre-treat if you find the time (heat not needed). You should notice improved moisture levels in your hair.

Also you may need to moisture daily, esp in the evening.
HTH
smile.gif

I have tried. I am going to sleep with the curl bag on now to see if this helps. I think the dryness is NOT promoting my growth.

Your hair is growing...it's probably breaking slowly as well though. Using a hair butter on your hair will hopefully help with the dryness.

Also, like Sengschick said, there's no need to be shamed. I know I've done it....just pick yourself up and get back on the healthy hair care bus
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Reginia said:
[ QUOTE ]
Armyqt said:
Kenra moisturizing shampoo and conditioner and avocado butter as a leave-in.
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Where can I purchase this?

[/ QUOTE ]

I get Kenra from Trade Secret or Ulta. It can also be ordered online. The butter I get from From Nature With Love

Most importantly, find a way to deal with your stress - stress affects every aspect of you, including your hair in major ways. Even taking 5 minutes to meditate in a quiet place will work wonders for you, your body and your hair. If you need a meditation method please pm me.

And I agree with drinking lots of water. It really does moisturize your skin and hair from the inside out.

yea, stress is a killer on u AND ur hair. Try to alleviate that by relaxing more at the end of the day and by not bringing work/school home with u. If ur angry, find a quiet place and just... breathe.
smile.gif

I use keracare shampoo and conditioner and Olive Oil Cholesterol. I also use salerm21, NTM leave-in, lacio lacio leave-in, arosci intervying leave in. All these products (one at a time tho
laugh.gif
) leave my hair pretty moist.

Deep Brilliance Reconstruct is a conditioner with a perfect balance of moisture and strength/repair.
smile.gif

I'll also endorse the Kenra recommendations.
smile.gif

If you can afford it, I suggest that you get a professional salon treatment. I have received two conditioning treatments with the steamer at my local JC Penney salon, where I also receive my relaxers. I cannot tell you the difference the steam treatments have made in the feel and appearance of my hair. They are approximately $32.00. I receive a treatment two weeks following my relaxer touch up, and two weeks prior to my relaxer touch up. I am not sure which reconstructor the stylist uses, but it may be Mizani. I will inquire when I go for my next treatment on June 11th.

northernbelle

[ QUOTE ]
patience said:
As for the stress, let it go. I know that's easier said than done, but I'd suggest giving it a shot. If you pray, pray about it and leave it. I hope things get better with whatever you're allowing to stress you.

[/ QUOTE ]

AGREED!
smile.gif

u should also try revlon porosity control. it gives u moisture if your hair is very pourous. it' only like 6 bucks and it is great. it helped with my dryness. i also use miss key 10 en 1 and it is the best conditioner i have ever used.

[ QUOTE ]
northernbelle said:
If you can afford it, I suggest that you get a professional salon treatment. I have received two conditioning treatments with the steamer at my local JC Penney salon, where I also receive my relaxers. I cannot tell you the difference the steam treatments have made in the feel and appearance of my hair. They are approximately $32.00. I receive a treatment two weeks following my relaxer touch up, and two weeks prior to my relaxer touch up. I am not sure which reconstructor the stylist uses, but it may be Mizani. I will inquire when I go for my next treatment on June 11th.

northernbelle

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, I have a steamer at home, and it is great.
cool.gif
I use mizani moisturefuse for deep moisture conditioning, and mizani kerafuse for protein restructuring conditioning.

I would use the aphogee treatment for damaged hair followed by a deep conditioning with nature's therapy mega moisture. Watch out though cause the aphogee stinks to high heaven, but it works wonders on my hair. The mega moisture makes my hair feel like melted butter. I'm a 4a natural by the way.

Back