Hair that's wet all day

gn1g

Hair that\'s wet all day

I sometimes use the baggie method with wigs or Phoneyponies. Sometimes I just wear my hair up in a pigtail and because it is thick it remains wet all day. I am wondering is it possible for my hair to mildew, or could this cause some sort of damage. What has been your experience?

Re: Hair that\'s wet all day

Sometimes my hair will still be wet when I get home from work. I just take the ponytail down so that it dries since I'm not a daily washer.

That is a good Question I would like to know the answer to that also.
smile.gif

I think it is okay for your hair to be wet all day. Whenever I wash mine it takes forever to dry out completely. Sometimes 24 hours (NO JOKE!). Plus, I sometimes keep it spayed with my leave-in cond.

I was thinking the same thing, I wantedt to know if it was okay as well, and if anyone has odor problems or possible mildew

i've been doing the baggie method for a couple of years. my hair has never mildewed. sometimes if i don't let it air out though, it smells sour to me, which i hate. so i normally let it air dry after i get home on the day that i wash it.

I actually think it is very good for hair to stay wet in a bun or braid. That means it stays moisturized all the time.

yes yes yes, wet hair can get some straight up funky smellin mold and mildew , just like anything else that is wet with no air...

i drenched my hair for years with leave in, for some reason (i cant explain) using the watery type leave in's as opposed to plain water eliminates the mold/mildew thing....and my hair would stay wet up in the thickness of it tilll the next day , when i would then wet it all up again.

I stopped the soaking now, cause i happened to notice one day while wearing it somewhat dry with just oils/butters that it was more managable and a lot less frizzy/tangled etc. so now i just dampen it.

[ QUOTE ]
NAY007 said:
I actually think it is very good for hair to stay wet in a bun or braid. That means it stays moisturized all the time.

[/ QUOTE ]
smile.gif

My hair is at least damp on a daily basis due to spritzing, condition washing etc. I havent had any problems with mildew or damage. In fact I think it's done a lot of good. I cannot even put creams in without spritzing with some sort of water mixture first...It's become a life time habit.

[ QUOTE ]
Isis said:
I've never heard of that happening to anyone's hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I was doing daily conditioner washes, my hair never mildewed. But read this, when I was 12 my hair was cornrowed and beaded. I think I wore this style for a little more than a month. All I did was rinse my hair and wear a silk scarf at night. Well, it finally came time to take the beads off and take out the braids. Don't you know when I did that there was this green mildewy stuff on the beads and also on my hair? It was gross. I told my grandmother and she asked me why didn't I wash my hair with shampoo while my hair was still in braids. I didn't even know that I could do that, but I was only 12 years old so I didn't know any better.

i knew this guy, with hair down to his waist, beautiful hair, he was a daily weter with water. he had his hair up , in a braid tucked under the pony tail holder....it came loose and came down and just about knocked me out when i got a whiff of the mildew smell.....i wasnt really trippin though, cause i was already knowin thats what happens with all that wet hair

This may sound silly, but what kind of damage does the mildew cause?

I had the sour smell in my hair when doing the VC, I think its best to poke a hole or something to give it some air, Thanks for the replys

My hair is constantly wet and I have never had any mildrew problems. In fact, I think it has made my hair stronger.

[ QUOTE ]
NAY007 said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Very good point!!!!!
smile.gif
smile.gif

Back