Hair that likes heat

goldensensation

Dont call me crazy now, but I think that my hair actually likes a little bit of heat... especially in the winter. Now tell me if you all think that what I am doing could potentially damage my hair:

I deep condition twice a week and after every wash, I wait for my hair to either airdry completely or 95% and I blowdry the rest. After it's dry, I use the Nexxus Heat Protexx to protect my hair and quickly run my sedu over it on the 2nd or 3rd highest setting. My hair ends up "straight", but not bone straight.

This cant be so bad, can it? I end up with less tangles and am able to moisturize better. My hair just doesnt like the wavy/curly airdry method in the winter. :ohwell:

goldensensation said:
Dont call me crazy now, but I think that my hair actually likes a little bit of heat... especially in the winter. Now tell me if you all think that what I am doing could potentially damage my hair:

I deep condition twice a week and after every wash, I wait for my hair to either airdry completely or 95% and I blowdry the rest. After it's dry, I use the Nexxus Heat Protexx to protect my hair and quickly run my sedu over it on the 2nd or 3rd highest setting. My hair ends up "straight", but not bone straight.

This cant be so bad, can it? I end up with less tangles and am able to moisturize better. My hair just doesnt like the wavy/curly airdry method in the winter. :ohwell:

Hey Golden. If you keep up with your trims i dont think this would DAMAGE your hair as such, but it could be detrimental to your growth aims.

Hey There Golden,

So you're doing this twice a week? Hmmm... I think you will find your hair stagnant at a certain length if you were to continue with this regimen. Your hair is already a nice length, but if you are aiming for extraordinary length like mid-back or waist, you might want to think about doing your heat routine less often. I know it will be hard. I can't tell you how many days I'm tempted to grab a flat iron and go for what I know! Good luck :up:

:sigh: I guess you ladies are right. I am a couple of inches past BSL and I would like to grow it longer. :perplexed I've been slipping.

:cry2:

I guess I gotta slow my roll. Thanks for bringing me back to reality.

goldensensation said:

This sounds like my hair. My hair loves a little bit of heat too :) I don't think it will be so bad. Just make sure you use your heat protectant before you BD and before you iron. I started washing twice a week both times using heat and I noticed some splitting ends. I would probably cut down to only once a week. I chopped those off and cut down to only using heat once a week.

But for the most part I think your hair would be okay. I find that my hair breaks less because of it being smoother and easier to manipulate. :p

MizaniMami said:
I find that my hair breaks less because of it being smoother and easier to manipulate.

I agree. When my hair is smoother and easier to style, it breaks less than during my trials with no/little heat.

My hair breaks less with heat... than with no heat....
I use heat 1x weekly.. If I air dry... it's a tangled mess!! I have tried every product to prevent the tangling... but haven't found one yet!!

My hair is kind of funny and does not like to be airdried all the time,especially when i am 8 weeks post relaxer so I use BBD Stretch Creme and blowdry on a low heating once a week too.
I have not had any major damage has of yet.

Dogmd said:
My hair breaks less with heat... than with no heat....
I use heat 1x weekly.. If I air dry... it's a tangled mess!! I have tried every product to prevent the tangling... but haven't found one yet!!

same here!

CON does help my hair tangle less, but it has made my hair break everytime I fall back to it. I think because of the balsam or something. Once I clarify it away, my hair it back to normal so I stopped using it and just stick with keeping my hair soft and sleek with heat.

I use heat 1-2 times a week depending on how many times I shampoo and deep condition. I sometimes use a couple of ionic rollers in between, though.

HoneyDew said:
same here!

CON does help my hair tangle less, but it has made my hair break everytime I fall back to it. I think because of the balsam or something. Once I clarify it away, my hair it back to normal so I stopped using it and just stick with keeping my hair soft and sleek with heat.

I use heat 1-2 times a week depending on how many times I shampoo and deep condition. I sometimes use a couple of ionic rollers in between, though.

CON did that to me as well... everyone raved about CON so I tried to use the moisturizing shampoo... but it never worked..and once I removed it by clarifying...My hair was back to normal!!!

I agree - When I was solely airdrying my hair was tangled and breaking. I would monitor your hair and limit it to once a week if you see any adverse reaction. But I have realized that some heat is better for my hair than none especially wheb my relaxer is no longer fresh. So I will either 90-95% airdry and then blowdry. Or completely airdry, or use my hooded dryer and run my flat iron over it - Especially if I cant wash/co wash everyday.

Funny! I stopped airdrying and went back to flatironing lightly after braiding up to dry and I have LESS breakage and shedding than when I would just airdry or do a braid out. Hmm! I may either keep with this or use this to transition.

I airdried my hair in a pony tail this weekend and it's just a snapping and popping every time i remove my pony tail holder. And might I add I am doing it VERY gently. I am going to go back to the way I used to do it.

Back