Hair That Hates Relaxers?

chavascandy

Well ladies of LHCF,

Maybe you all can help me slove my strange relaxer problems. I have type 4a hair.

Currently, I relax my hair at home. I use a Soft' and Beautiful relaxer. That relaxer seems to do a great job of getting my hair straight, until I get ready to rinse it out.Then after i rinse the relaxer out and wash my hair with the neutralizing shampoo, I notice that my hair waves up. I always follow the directions included in the kit,including the amount of time the relaxer is supposed to stay on your hair. I even smooth the relaxer through my hair with the back of a comb or my hands as directed.
Ladies I have even tried going to the salon and getting my hair professionally relaxed but, the same results always come about; Soft wavy hair, instead of Soft straight hair. Ladies, maybe you all could give me some advice!

What I am I doing wrong, am I using the wrong relaxer?

And if so, which relaxers do you recommend?

P.S. My hair has been doing this since I was a Child!!! Help!:wallbash:

i'm not sure, but the result sounds like its being tex-laxed (sp?)

for straighter hair... maybe you should leave it on (a little) longer???

clarify a few days before (to remove oils which slow down the relaxer time causing the texlaxed hair)... and avoid putting any oils in your hair prior to relaxing...

also, maybe you should switch to lye? or if your currently using lye... switch to no lye???

still... i'm no expert at relaxing, so maybe the other ladies can help also!!!

This sounds like the problem my daughter had with her hair. She is more on the 3c side. We tried all different relaxers, different strengths, longer times, more smoothing, you name it. But her hair refuse to relax fully. That's when I realize that her hair just didn't want to be straight and no amount of relaxer was going to get it straight. We were fighting against nature. Her natural hair has nice ringlets(curls) and it wanted to keep those ringlets(curls). So we just stop fighting it. When she relaxed, we just accepted that it was going to be more texlaxed. And if she wanted it straighter she just flat ironed. She has currently decided to just let her hair be itself and she is growing out her relaxer.

My hair is like that. I just think it is resistant and there are other ladies here with the same "problem", if you want to call it that. I don't think it is a problem, though.

For me, most relaxers don't work. I can get it straighter in the salon, but they always want to use a super or leave it in longer, which I don't want to do.

Maybe you could try a different relaxer or a super. I am always scared to leave it in longer, though.

My hair is like that. I just think it is resistant and there are other ladies here with the same "problem", if you want to call it that. I don't think it is a problem, though.

For me, most relaxers don't work. I can get it straighter in the salon, but they always want to use a super or leave it in longer, which I don't want to do.

Maybe you could try a different relaxer or a super. I am always scared to leave it in longer, though.

I agree at the bolded. I'd rather have my hair have a little wave to it than board straight and on the floor by my feet. My hair does the same thing--it's weird b/c the stands themselves are so skinny and fine, but the curl is soooo tight that it won't straighten w/o some work--but there's no way my fine-stranded hair is gonna get a super, so it's a wrap. I'll stick with waves from a regular. As long as it gets straight from a rollerset (and blowing out the roots), I'm good :yep:...

Thank ya'll so much for replying! Maybe I should switch to a lye relaxer! I heard great reviews about Motions Relaxer. And you know what, I should be grateful my hair isn't shedding due to overprocessing.

But you know one thing, I never tried clarifying my hair a couple of days before the relaxer. That may just be the problem!

Thanks Ladies!:yawn:

Motions is actually UNLOVED here on the board. There are some ladies that like it, but most of use had bad experiences with it.

Yeah, from the general consensus, Motions is not the one you want if you are worried a/b getting your hair straight :nono:

Although I must say that I used it before Mizani and the Motions relaxed hair is straighter than the Mizani hair, but maybe that's just me. :ohwell: My hair's been acting real weird since I started taking vitamins consistently...:yawn:

Oh, Thanks for the updates ladies! Motions is out of the question. Um-m-m hopefully I'll find a resolution soon.:ohwell:

My hair is very resistent...I use cream of nature lye relaxer and even the super strength leaves a slight wave in my crown...once I style my hair the waves get straightened out so you can't tell that the crown is not as straight as the rest of my hair

Wow I am sure I love this place!! I thought it was only me!!!!!

Brand new here and just trying to find out what type hair i have and here I find this thread! I used to leave realxers in for like an hour!!!!!
Lye, no lye, super, coarse you name it I tried it and the curl will not leave. But now I know that I appreciate it. I use relaxers to help with the thickness in the crown really. Love it!! When I apply heat it straightens out just fine.
Be happy its a wonderful thing when you embrace it!

Well ladies of LHCF,

Maybe you all can help me slove my strange relaxer problems. I have type 4a hair.

Currently, I relax my hair at home. I use a Soft' and Beautiful relaxer. That relaxer seems to do a great job of getting my hair straight, until I get ready to rinse it out.Then after i rinse the relaxer out and wash my hair with the neutralizing shampoo, I notice that my hair waves up. I always follow the directions included in the kit,including the amount of time the relaxer is supposed to stay on your hair. I even smooth the relaxer through my hair with the back of a comb or my hands as directed.
Ladies I have even tried going to the salon and getting my hair professionally relaxed but, the same results always come about; Soft wavy hair, instead of Soft straight hair. Ladies, maybe you all could give me some advice!

What I am I doing wrong, am I using the wrong relaxer?

And if so, which relaxers do you recommend?

P.S. My hair has been doing this since I was a Child!!! Help!:wallbash:

I strongly recommend that you give ORS olive oil (no lye) relaxer a try:thumbsup: Lots of ladies here adore it. Buy it from Sally's or Walgreen's to enusre that you get a good relaxer. I bought a couple boxes from Asian BSS and my results were not what I was accustomed to .

ORS is VERY moisturizing and has low incidents of burning. I will be applying it on Thursday and posting results in my Fotki:wink2:

Wow I am sure I love this place!! I thought it was only me!!!!!

Brand new here and just trying to find out what type hair i have and here I find this thread! I used to leave realxers in for like an hour!!!!!
Lye, no lye, super, coarse you name it I tried it and the curl will not leave. But now I know that I appreciate it. I use relaxers to help with the thickness in the crown really. Love it!! When I apply heat it straightens out just fine.
Be happy its a wonderful thing when you embrace it!

:hammer::badgirl::burning:

...and I thought I used to be bad!

Back