Hair That Despises Any Sort of Products...

I know I posted about this before but it's something that is truly baffling and seeminlgy unique about my hair. I have never heard anyone with hair from 1a to 4z say that their hair hates everything and anything put into it.
This is the case with my hair. I don't care how natural or how synthetic the product is, my hair will not like it. Before my hair was heat damaged (years ago lol) I don't recall it hating everything but ever since I began straightening at about 15 years old my hair has been this way.

What I mean by hating all product is that anything that I apply to my hair be it oil, serum, gel, and anything else causes severe dryness, frizziness and a rough feeling. I notice that when I wash my hair as I did a couple of hrs ago in prep for straightening, I use a very small amount of CHI Silk Infusion on wet hair. I then let it air dry. When I air dry this way, with virtually no product my hair looks soft, nearly frizz free, and with minimal shrinkage but I always assume it'll frizz up so I go ahead and flat iron.
On days when I intend to go curly, I'll be genenous with product, be them oils or gels, mousse, whatever I happen to use (always alcohol free of course) and my hair will get this dry, rough look to it, and a feeling that I must soak it down to replenish any moisture. My hair is a a fly away, frizzy 3b with possibly some 3c in the crown and middle of the back. I think my hair gets closed off to moisture very, very easily and even a bit of coating will dry it out severely. Even once flat ironed adding extra product will cause terrible dryness.
Does anyone out there have an issue similar to this? I feel like my hair is so opposite of everyone else in the world lol who gets benefit out of at least a few hair products. The only thing my hair has liked so far and I have tried dozens of things is CHI Silk Infusion, it's my holy grail. I also like a TINY bit of avocado oil for my ends but even that causes hardness if I use more than 2 drops or so.

I'm going to attempt a wash and go with no product and see what happens since the ones with product are nearly always super dry disasters by the next day.

Sorry for the long post :look:.

You mentioned in the other thread that you have hard water. Either get a shower filter or consider chelating your hair everytime you wash.

2 chelating shampoos that I know work well are Paul Mitchell 3 shampoo or Quantum shampoo from sallys (it says clarifying on the front)

I get what you mean, except the only time I can get away with no products is if my hair is freshly relaxed.. If I try that with 2 months post hair :rolleyes:.

It is irritating though..

I had this problem a while back. No products seemed to work on my hair. I realized that my hair was overly porous. I fixed this by using products that have a pH that closes the cuticles a bit, like Joico. I also started doing protein treatments, which also helped.

It sounds like you may have a porosity issue.

I started a thread some time ago, and I later on updated with what worked to fix this for me. Here's the post (it's more detailed than what I wrote above):

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showpost.php?p=13123433&postcount=14

^^^Yes! I do have very, very porous hair and I know that there is a connection. A couple of years ago I regularly used Joico K pak and the Intense Hydrator. I think I'm going to try them again.

Back