Hair Tension

Rastafarai

As this pandemic has resulted in many of us working remotely and having more time to pamper our strands and wear more protective styles, I was curious to know how you are preventing tension of your hair, especially around your nape, crown and edges.

I wear self-braids as a protective style and usually wear my braids twisted into a bun, using an elastic spiral hair tie to hold my bun in place. I noticed that after a few days, hair around my nape starts to feel tension. This would result in me unraveling my braids to twist them in the opposite direction into a bun or re-positioning where I place my bun (I alternate between low and high buns). I do not twist my hair tightly, so I'm not sure why this tension creeps up every few days.

I also intentionally try to alternate how I sleep so as I prevent too much tension on my edges at night. I am still waiting patiently for my silk pillowcases to arrive to help limit further tension on my hair. Trying to figure out what to do with my hair at night has literally been a major challenge for me, especially as my hair grows longer.

What do you incorporate in your daily routine to prevent hair tension?

Ensuring my edges and nape are moisturized eases tension in these areas. If my skin is supple, then there is more elasticity in those areas, so firm hairstyles aren't taxing to the hair.
I also massage these areas at least 3x a week to ease muscle tension in those areas. Muscle tension will cause any firm hairstyle to feel too tight.

Back