Hair Steamer Questions...

TwistNMx

Hello all.
I've been thinking about hair steamers and am wondering if anyone could explain the real benefits of using one.
Does it help with humidity, etc.?
Thank you.

I will never be without a steamer. When I first started reading about steaming, I ignored what people were saying about it because I figured my hair dryer, a plastic cap, and conditioner was enough. I was so wrong. My steamer has turned my hair around. The growth and retention is amazing. My hair is the longest and healthiest it's ever been in my adult life.

My hair was always dry to the point it was breaking as fast as it was growing. The steam helps my conditioners work better. A steamer can help below average conditioner work better. I steam without a cap. I slather conditioner on my hair, grab me a glass of Moscato and my laptop and you can't tell me I'm not at a spa. Actually the steam relaxes me or maybe it's the wine......or both.....anywhoo...

I have bought a lot of things reading the reviews from this site, but one of the best decisions/purchases I've made was to get a steamer. It has taken my hair to a whole other level. I purchased mine off of Ebay $125 free shipping. If it breaks tomorrow, you better believe I'm replacing it.

Now with the humidity issue, Memphis and humidity goes hand in hand so I don't wear my hair down this time of year. It's so soft my curls fall quickly. At a 110 heat index, you get what you get when you step out in that heat.

Last edited:
I will never be without a steamer. When I first started reading about steaming, I ignored what people were saying about it because I figured my hair dryer, a plastic cap, and conditioner was enough. I was so wrong. My steamer has turned my hair around. The growth and retention is amazing. My hair is the longest and healthiest it's ever been in my adult life.

My hair was always dry to the point it was breaking as fast as it was growing. The steam helps my conditioners work better. A steamer can help below average conditioner work better. I steam without a cap. I slather conditioner on my hair, grab me a glass of Moscato and my laptop and you can't tell me I'm not at a spa. Actually the steam relaxes me or maybe it's the wine......or both.....anywhoo...

I have bought a lot of things reading the reviews from this site, but one of the best decisions/purchases I've made was to get a steamer. It has taken my hair to a whole other level. I purchased mine off of Ebay $125 free shipping. If it breaks tomorrow, you better believe I'm replacing it.

Now with the humidity issue, Memphis and humidity goes hand in hand so I don't wear my hair down this time of year. It's so soft my curls fall quickly. At a 110 heat index, you get what you get when you step out in that heat.

May I ask, do you have any progress pictures....before / after?

I steamed my hair last night and thought, "Of all the things that I have bought for my hair this was the best purchase by a longshot." I hadn't steamed my hair since becoming natural and my hair just soaks up whatever I put on my head. I love it.

Steam enhances ordinary conditioner so your exceptional conditioners will work very well!

Also-

Softness and manageability of hair
It makes detangling a lot easier
It enables you to retain moisture for longer

My hair was paper thin when I started my HHJ, the steam conditioning has completely revitalised my hair and my hair has subsequently thickened considerably.

Steam enhances ordinary conditioner so your exceptional conditioners will work very well!

Also-

Softness and manageability of hair
It makes detangling a lot easier
It enables you to retain moisture for longer

My hair was paper thin when I started my HHJ, the steam conditioning has completely revitalised my hair and my hair has subsequently thickened considerably.

I see how healthy and thick your hair is right now. It's pretty convincing.
Thanks for your input. I don't have a detangling problem, but my hair is pretty thin too, so it clarifies what I needed to know.:yep:
Thank you.

i want a steamer so bad! lots of people even stylists thaat use the steamer tell me that there is no difference between the steamer & the hooded dryer, but i feel that when i was younger my hair flourished when i used to get it steamed regularly & now my hair acts up no matter how well i take care of it.

For those of you who are using steamers, which ones (brands) do you use? Is one more successful than another?
TIA

I use the one from lcbeauty.com and I love it. It's the one that's about $119 or something like that with free shipping. I've only been using it since the middle of the summer.

The pros are that my hair is much softer and stays moisturized longer.
It has more body to it when I flat-iron.
I think I'm retaining my ends a little better since using it.

The cons of it are really minor.

You can't really steam longer than 30 mins because the water alarm will go off. I use distilled water in mine (Even though you can use regular water) so I end up wasting a lot of the water because the alarm went off without using it.

It doesn't fold up for storage.

I use the one from lcbeauty.com and I love it. It's the one that's about $119 or something like that with free shipping. I've only been using it since the middle of the summer.

You can't really steam longer than 30 mins because the water alarm will go off. I use distilled water in mine (Even though you can use regular water) so I end up wasting a lot of the water because the alarm went off without using it.

Thanks for the reply. I really appreciate it. I guess there are models that fold for storage?

Thanks for the reply. I really appreciate it. I guess there are models that fold for storage?

I'm not sure if any of the floor standing models fold for storage. But the tabletops are easier to store. If I had a tabletop I'd store it on a shelf in the closet. But I love my floor standing one because I sit it behind my chair when I sit at the PC or when I'm watching TV. But I really haven't put it away. I just push it all the way down (it does shorten to a few feet to store easier) and I roll it over in a corner in my dining room for now.

Why don't you do what I do and pour the unused water back into the jug; that way you're not wasting water. You can steam longer than 30 minutes, just start the timer again.

i want a steamer so bad! lots of people even stylists thaat use the steamer tell me that there is no difference between the steamer & the hooded dryer, but i feel that when i was younger my hair flourished when i used to get it steamed regularly & now my hair acts up no matter how well i take care of it.

lol, that's because they don't want you buying your own steamer and steaming your hair at home as opposed to at their salon. I know you've already bought one now though so that's cool. :)

Why don't you do what I do and pour the unused water back into the jug; that way you're not wasting water. You can steam longer than 30 minutes, just start the timer again.

I was pouring the water back into the jug at first, even the water from the drip bottle. But I think my mistake was re-using the drip bottle water because I left a little water in there once and saw a couple of mold spots in the bottom of the bottle. So I was afraid to reuse the water after that. So now I have this fear of mold growing inside of the bonnett..... Yuck!! I want to run the steamer by itself with a little bleach to make sure but I'm afraid I might ruin something.

And does your alarm turn off after you reset the timer? Mine doesn't. It continues to go off and I get so mad. It may be defective.

Thanks!!

Don't use bleach!!!!! Use white vinegar diluted...you will ruin your steamer.

Oh, and if you don't have a steamer yet, you can do this technique:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wga1aeiGs7w

You microwave a wet towel, apply to wet shampoo'd hair with conditioner in it, apply a plastic or bonnet over that, get under a hot dryer. You'll get steaming effects because of the water in the towel next to the hair.

Last edited:
I was pouring the water back into the jug at first, even the water from the drip bottle. But I think my mistake was re-using the drip bottle water because I left a little water in there once and saw a couple of mold spots in the bottom of the bottle. So I was afraid to reuse the water after that. So now I have this fear of mold growing inside of the bonnett..... Yuck!! I want to run the steamer by itself with a little bleach to make sure but I'm afraid I might ruin something.

And does your alarm turn off after you reset the timer? Mine doesn't. It continues to go off and I get so mad. It may be defective.

Thanks!!

I only save the water I use in the steamer, the drip water I toss out. My steamer just has a bell than dings when the 30 minutes are up, but you can just turn the timer back to 30 minutes again. Oh, don't use any bleach, unless you want to buy another steamer :lol:.

That is so funny and so true! My stylist had told me that my hair was in desperate need of a steam treatment and I remarked, "That's odd, because I steam my hair weekly for 40 minutes with the same products that you use here in the salon." He looked crazy and then said that my hair really didn't NEED it, but that he liked to do a steam treatment with every wash. He later asked me how long I had had the steamer and where I purchased it :lachen: I proceeded to LMAO!

lol, that's because they don't want you buying your own steamer and steaming your hair at home as opposed to at their salon. I know you've already bought one now though so that's cool. :)

Back