Hair Steamer Guidebook

4HisGlory

Hello All,

My mom recently heard about hair steamers from one of her co-workers and just had to have one. Unfortunately, she is all confused and thinks they are supposed to naturally straighten your hair. I tried to explain the hair steamer process to her, and let her know that BKT is probably what the co-worker was referring to but I don't think it has totally clicked. :wallbash:Unfortunately, she hates the computer and won't use it for her on research, so I HAD to get it for her. She was so adamant. Anyway, she had to have one so I ordered this one off of ebay for her. She is so spoiled.
1205206878528080_1.jpg

I dearly love that lady, but she is driving me nuts with this steamer.:drunk: I have searched and searched the threads, but can't really seem to find all the information that I need in one place and in a concise format. I was wondering if you ladies could help me out by giving me the basics that I need to help further explain the steamer concept and process to mommy dearest. I was also able to get some information from this site also. I'm trying to answer the 5 basic questions below, but feel free to add any information that you think is pertinent.

1. What are the benefits of a steamer?

- Better Circulation in Scalp leading to better hair growth
- Cleanses Scalp, removing dirt and dead skin
- Brings moisture to your Roots and hair shaft
- Leaves your hair soft and smooth
- Great for Dandruff Sufferer's
- Stops Dryness and hair Breakage
- Makes hair stronger and healthier
- Improves Hair Color Treatments
*enable conditioners to penetrate the hair shaft more deeply and quickly, to make it more moisturised.

2. How does it work scientifically?

It will improve circulation with the steam and the heat will then open up your follicles and hair shaft cuticles and this allows moisture as well as your hair treatment product to enter the hair shaft.

3. Why is it better than a hooded dryer?

- The steamer infuses moisture into your hair, so it holds curls better and can take heat better.

- A steamer is better than hooded dryer because moist heat is more nourishing for your hair than dry heat.

4. http://hubpages.com/hub/Hair-Steamer-Hair-Treatment---Setup-and-BenefitsTips for machine set up

make sure your water reservoir is full before putting it on your steamer. That will prevent air bubbles

5. Instructions for Henna use (Do you put the conditioner on with the Henna or do you henna then apply conditioner and get back under the steamer?, How long should you sit under for the Henna to take)

6. Procedure for general use

a. Basically, what I do is steam my hair while DCing. Then, it proceed to wash it, blow dry and flat iron.

Thanks Ladies!

Last edited:
The steamer infuses moisture into your hair, so it holds curls better and can take heat better.

Basically, what I do is steam my hair while DCing. Then, it proceed to wash it, blow dry and flat iron.

My hair is moisturized and it curls better.

I have no idea why you would use a steamer in the BKT process, but I dont deal with chemicals so...I cant help you there.

A steamer is better than hooded dryer because moist heat is more nourishing for your hair than dry heat.

Although you've mentioned other benefits the main benefit for me is to enable conditioners to penetrate the hair shaft more deeply and quickly, to make it more moisturised.

My machine just needed to be plugged in when I got it, so no tips on setup and I don't use henna so can't help you there either. HTH

The steamer infuses moisture into your hair, so it holds curls better and can take heat better.

Basically, what I do is steam my hair while DCing. Then, it proceed to wash it, blow dry and flat iron.

My hair is moisturized and it curls better.

I have no idea why you would use a steamer in the BKT process, but I dont deal with chemicals so...I cant help you there.

Oh, she wasn't talking about using them together. I think she just mixed up parts of the conversation with her co-worker when she was re-telling it to me. I was just trying to explain to her that they are two different things.

So, you DC first, then shampoo. No more conditioning after the shampoo?

Bumping for you too.

i just got one off of ebay too. the instructions it comes with sucks but i figured it out mostly by looking at the picture. i havent used it yet though.

Dumb question? if i want to dc with it do i need to use a shower cap?

Bumping for you too.

i just got one off of ebay too. the instructions it comes with sucks but i figured it out mostly by looking at the picture. i havent used it yet though.

Dumb question? if i want to dc with it do i need to use a shower cap?

Most folks don't use a cap. :)

I steam not only for the benefits of Dc-ing but also to help replenish moisture back in my hair especially during the winter months. But I also steam in the summer. It's very beneficial for transitioners as it helps to tame new growth making it a little more manageable during detangling. When I steam, if I'm only cowashing, I will apply my dc on dry hair, steam for 30 minutes(without a cap) and then do an additional cowash in the shower. Other times, I may shampoo wash my hair first and then dc under the steamer. It's all a matter of preference and what works for you.
A tip though is to make sure your water reservoir is full before putting it on your steamer. That will prevent air bubbles.
Oh and I haven't tried using my steamer to henna yet. But if I did, I would probably henna first and then dc after rinsing it out.

This thread was a great idea. All the information about a hair steamer is in one place. Thanks OP!

Oh, she wasn't talking about using them together. I think she just mixed up parts of the conversation with her co-worker when she was re-telling it to me. I was just trying to explain to her that they are two different things.

So, you DC first, then shampoo. No more conditioning after the shampoo?

Sorry if I confused you. Shampoo, DC (using steamer) , wash out, apply leave in and style.

Last edited:
Does anyone use the steamer for pre-pooing. I'm shopping around for one and I was thinking I would use it to steam with EVCO before my wash and then use it to DC afterwards.

Does anyone use the steamer for pre-pooing. I'm shopping around for one and I was thinking I would use it to steam with EVCO before my wash and then use it to DC afterwards.

Kinda like a hot oil treatment? Yes I think I may have done that once. But I have also prepood with EVOC(without steam) and then put my DC on top of that and then steamed. Works fine either way.

What Deep Conditioners does every one use under their Steamer? I know lots of people use different ones but could you let us know what you use?

I've used Silicon Mix, Mango Cholesterol, Organics Replenishing conditioner and I'm about to try the one from Silk Elements next time.

just got my steamer last week. does anyone steam their hair w/o putting conditioner on it, just using the warm mist to hydrate their hair?

What Deep Conditioners does every one use under their Steamer? I know lots of people use different ones but could you let us know what you use?

I mainly use Kerastase Masques:
Oleo Relax
Oleo Slim
Masquintense
Chroma Riche
Treatment Vials

I also use Affirm 5 in 1, Fiberguard Sustenance, Matrix Vials, Mizani Gelee, etc.

Back