HAIR SCHOOL hair appointments -love em or hate em??

sweetsuccess

have any of you ladies with NATURAL HAIR.. gone to a hair school to get your hair done? you know.. the cheap route. i figure they're trained... and i can also dictate how i want my hair done.. so im seriously considering going? ....here in chicago i've narrowed it down to the PAUL MITCHELL school and the AVEDA INSTITUTE. i like both their products, so why not? ..im debating which one to go to and i will definitely go this week and post pics and a review. (everytime i press my own hair i declare that it will be my last...) but as for you guys, have you gone? good/bad experiences? please share..

thanks in advance :)

When I was a young girl and still had natural hair (11 or 12ish) my mom took me and it was a disaster. The girl rollerset my hair and it came out as a big poofy mess. She had no marcel irons or anything to fix it, so she tried to roundbrush it into submission. Epic fail.

She was a black girl, but it was a predominately white beauty school. Over the years, I had better luck once my hair was relaxed. The wait can also be long and you're like a living mannequin, so people walk over and examine your hair.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using LHCF app

Btw, my mom still goes for a wash and/or dye. She just styles it at home.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using LHCF app

As a former Aveda student I wouldn't suggest going to a cosmetology school to get your hair done. They taught us absolutely nothing about black natural hair..they only taught us how to relax & we didn't even practice the relaxer..we just watched a video on it. Lol..I was one of the only students skilled in doing black hair..& black natural hair?? forget it! lol They taught absolutely nothing about natural hair. As students we had to practice on eachother and I remember being TERRIFIED because I didn't want any of them to do as much as wash my hair..they were afraid of my natural hair...I had to walk them through each step..I had to tell them not to use little fine tooth combs on my head, tell them not to use mousse to define my curls but a cream or when they straightened I had to tell them to not turn the flat iron to the highest temp etc. ..Op you may possibly get lucky and get a student who is skilled in natural hair...but most likely you won't. In my opinion your better off going to a real hair stylist..

You were looking for the silk press right? I say, go to the Paul mitchell school and ask for the Awaphui treatment and a flat iron. That will get your hair silky and prevent damage. The treatment is awesome and prevents damage. It is only $22 here in California.

so you're natural.. and you've done this? ...and results came out alright? ...bc according to these other posts, im considering jumping in the shower and starting my 5hr process of washing, blowdrying, and flat ironing on my own. ...?
You were looking for the silk press right? I say, go to the Paul mitchell school and ask for the Awaphui treatment and a flat iron. That will get your hair silky and prevent damage. The treatment is awesome and prevents damage. It is only $22 here in California.

sweetsuccess Being a licensed cosmetologist, I will tell you that students are NOT trained to deal with "natural" 4a/4b hair unless you probably go to a black beauty school. Whenever black girls came into my school (relaxed or natural), they called me and the one other black girl on the floor even when we weren't up to that level. The only "ethnic hair" procedures taught are relaxers and less than a week was spent on that.

I would not recommend it at all.

HATE EM! :nono: I went to the Beauty Institute of Tampa (which had mainly Black students and a few Hispanic) once and I vowed to never go there or any other school again. All I wanted was a wash n set and for a predominately black beauty school I figured this was something that was supposed to be taught on the 1st day...boy was I wrong:lol:. My stylist put entirely too much wrapping lotion in my hair and she took forever to put the rollers in causing my hair to start to dry. When i finally made it to the dryer after it turned off she took forever to come and get me bc she was too busy eating and talking w/ her classmates. When she finally brought me over the wrapping lotion had dried my hair to a crisp and she decided to use a rat tail comb to comb/rip it out I also had on a black shirt so all of the dried lotion was flaking out of my hair. About 3 people came over and tried to help her, no bueno. I hate more than 2 hands in my hair. When I left I looked like Mufasa and as soon as I walked out the door I put my sticky, hard hair in a pony tail, $15 wasted. I ended up going home and redoing my hair myself.:wallbash:

No I wouldn't recommend it. From my personal experiences I always seemed to get the most clueless student.

omgosh ladies. ALRIGHT THEN...... I WILL NOT go to the hair schools. i will suck it up.. & do my hair myself. its funny, bc as ive shared my hair trails with friends and family.. ppl always offer to do my hair for me... and i have to stop them in their tracks.. bc i AM VERY particular abt my hair.. i get antsy man. it can ruin some friendships!.. so i decline the offers and they still get mad.. or feel offended. cant win. anywho- guess IL BE DOING MY OWN HAIR TONIGHT.

thanks for the advice ladies :)

I've had nothing but good experiences with mine. I go to the Aveda Institute so maybe that's why.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

so you're natural.. and you've done this? ...and results came out alright? ...bc according to these other posts, im considering jumping in the shower and starting my 5hr process of washing, blowdrying, and flat ironing on my own. ...?

Yes I am natural (never been relaxed) and it was great for me. You can also buy the Awaphui treatment online (amazon.com) and do it yourself. In my opinion, a good blowdry always leads to a silky press.

I'm in England and (when I had hair - lol) I would always go to them.

I felt they were actually better than the actual hair salons sometimes. There were days for european hair and days for black hair. In the black hair classes nearly all the students were black or mixed and their own hair was looking fly and in addition the instructor was usually someone who had run their own salon and was now a lecturer.

They were very good at doing strand tests, checking elasticity etc - most hairdressers don't bother with that in my experience. There was always someone checking up on what they were doing and they had to write down in their note books all the steps they did etc and what products they had used and why.

The only complaint I had was that they were sometimes very slow. Basically everything took twice as long as a normal salon. But for £10 I would get a relaxer with strand test without out overlap or over/under processing instead of paying £40 for a salon to do a much less thorough job.

I'm relaxed and have tried hair schools. My experience was o.k, I went for a regular shampoo and set and ended up having this (w) lady do my hair and I had to explain to her how to do it. I had to tell her to roll the first two sections going forward and the rest going back, then after it dried I had to wrap it myself. Afterwards, she was so amazed because she'd never seen anyone wrap their hair around before. She then asked me to unwrap to see the effect, so I did and it just blew her away. The one thing that was missing was they had no oil sheen of any kind in the entire place, only spritz or holding spray, which I use neither. Luckily I had some in the car because I had a feeling that they wouldn't carry it. I only went cause at the time I was struggling and it only cost me $10.00 but I've never even considered doing that again.

I'm natural and I go to Aveda Institute every 3 months to get partial highlights, blow out and flat iron. It takes FOREVER but each time I get great results - some students are better than others, so I usually tell them when I make my appointment that I have afro textured hair so I need someone who has experience with that hair type. If you're just going for a press - I'd wouldn't recommend it, but for highlights, they're great.

Back