Hair & scalp moisturizers/sealants you reccomend that have worked soo well for u?

I've messed up my regime so many times which has resulted in hair breakage each time! The problem I'm having is moisture! I don't know which one to use and how to use it. I flat iron my hair 1x week and haven't been using any moisturizer in my hair - but go straight to hair foam, heat protectant, sabino, etc. This results in my hair being dry as well as scalp - then breakage. I don't put anything on my scalp cuz it gets greasy and my flat ironing job doesnt come out right.

I'm allergic to all types of nuts - coconut, tree nuts but there's been so much rave about coconut oil that I did try it a couple of months ago. I bought 100% refined from Whole Foods and after 20 min of doing a skin patch test on my arm, I began to have sensations of my chest tightening. Not pretty. Now I'm left stranded and I feel as if the coconut oil is the "IT" mositurizer even though I can't use it!

What are some alternatives and regime tips on moisturizing hair as well as keeping the scalp moist? :ohwell:

*Im a 4b Natural as well...

Bumping for you......

Do you use a leave in conditioner? Maybe flat ironing your hair once a week is making your hair dry.

It could be a variety of things. Is the area you live in a hard water area? That'll dry out your hair every time. You could try doing vinegar rinses after you wash your hair (like a teaspoon to a tablespoon of vinegar per cup of water used to rinse). Vinegar has been shown to have water softening properties (as well as baking soda). They are also good clarifiers and will eliminate product build-up. Also the products you use may contain ingredients you are sensitive to. Synthetic ingredients such as mineral oil, petroleum, propylene glycol, etc... have been shown to have adverse affects on people ith sensitive skin. There are hair care products that contain natural ingredients that might benefit you (like Aubrey organics, Beauty Withouth Cruelty (BTW), etc...). These can be found at health food stores. And there are other oils that are good for your hair that are not nut based. I'm going to go search online for some and I'll come back and post them.

Some oil recommendation (based on an online search)
rice bran oil
Jojoba oil
safflower oil
sunflower oil
rose oil (with jojoba or other non-nut based oil as a base)

*From what I researched these oils don't cause allergic reactions in those that are allergic to nuts, but you may want to double check that to be safe :).

Last edited:
Yeah are you using a leave in condish? You definitely need one. I am on the search for a new one myself but many on here like Salerm or Lacio Lacio. Do a search on leave in's to read others reviews. A good daily moisturizer would help too, so that you are not styling your hair completely dry and void of moisturizer..sorry I am looking for a new one myself but many on here like Neutrogena leave in....

Yeah are you using a leave in condish? You definitely need one. I am on the search for a new one myself but many on here like Salerm or Lacio Lacio. Do a search on leave in's to read others reviews. A good daily moisturizer would help too, so that you are not styling your hair completely dry and void of moisturizer..sorry I am looking for a new one myself but many on here like Neutrogena leave in....

Every other week I use Joico Protein 2min, Chi's straightening guard, chi silk infusium + sabino --> so no leave in. (What do you recommend for moisture - I don't use the Aphogee leave ins here because Joico is a diff kind of protein so Im not sure if mixing will be bad for my hair?)

Other days (My hair usually turns out good - Aphogee 2min... Keracare wrap foam, Aphogee leave in green tea moisturizer, Protein leave in, Chi Silk Infusion, sabino)

This so far is my reggie, any suggestions?

WOW. Really trying to help. Jojoba oil is a good choice from one of the earlier post. Instead of flat ironing try a roller wrap. Can you rollerset your hair? I use to rollerset my hair and sit under the dryer. It was perfect but it kept my direct heat usage down.

Do you ever DC? I see no moisterizing deep conditioners in your regime...unless I'm missing something. Everything so far seems to have protein or just be a sealant. Do you use a moistering hair lotion or creme at all to keep your hair moisterized when dry?

Back