Hair-safe Fabrics?

that_1_grrrl

I love wearing headwraps. I'm in the market now to buy some because I figure it's a good alternative to protective styling. Besides satin and silk, which fabrics are safe for hair?

I work at Macy's for the holiday, and every day, I pass by these gorgeous scarves. I also live in a very large Muslim area, so I can also go where they sell hijabs (man, the Muslimahs here make me so jealous with their gorgeous hijabs). I just need to know what fabrics I can use.

Silk and satin. Cotton and polyester (which has cotton in it) can be very drying to the hair.

I also live in a very large Muslim area, so I can also go where they sell hijabs (man, the Muslimahs here make me so jealous with their gorgeous hijabs). I just need to know what fabrics I can use.

I feel you on being jealous of the Muslimahs. I have always found most forms of hijab dress, including the head scarves, quite classy and beautiful. :love: You can actually use scarves designed for hijab as headwraps as long as they are silk or satin and have a smooth surface that will not snag the hair. Many of them are quite large and ideal for the purpose.

Also try headcovers.com which has large head scarves in various materials designed for those undergoing chemo or experiencing alopecia. Another avenue I have tried is websites for Orthodox Jewish women who also cover the hair. Some have pre-tied lycra scarves that are really cute. Most of the regular scarves are cotton, hence not ideal for us, but take a look anyway because there are exceptions. :yep:

I feel you on being jealous of the Muslimahs. I have always found most forms of hijab dress, including the head scarves, quite classy and beautiful. :love: You can actually use scarves designed for hijab as headwraps as long as they are silk or satin and have a smooth surface that will not snag the hair. Many of them are quite large and ideal for the purpose.

Also try headcovers.com which has large head scarves in various materials designed for those undergoing chemo or experiencing alopecia. Another avenue I have tried is websites for Orthodox Jewish women who also cover the hair. Some have pre-tied lycra scarves that are really cute. Most of the regular scarves are cotton, hence not ideal for us, but take a look anyway because there are exceptions. :yep:

Beautiful and classy, yes! The Muslimahs I see look so elegant.

Thanks for the website.

Um... so there is nothing other than satin and silk? Hmm... I may have to wear two at a time then - a satin/silk one and another one on top for decorative purposes made of any fabric.

Thanks guys!

Um... so there is nothing other than satin and silk? Hmm... I may have to wear two at a time then - a satin/silk one and another one on top for decorative purposes made of any fabric.

Thanks guys!
I usually buy cotton/polyester blends or 100% cotton - I just put a satin/silk cap underneath, so that the cotton won't wick the moisture out of my hair. :yep: I find that the silk/satin type scarves won't stay on my head and I'm not able to tie them as securely as the cotton. And I don't mind that extra layer of warmth during the winter.

Back