Hair Progress - Recovering from Heat Damage Set Back (PICS)

SelahOco

Hi Ladies! This is just a quick update about my hair's progress. Some of you may have heard me mention that I suffered breakage and heat damage from having my hair straightened at a salon in the summer of 2008. I'd made good progress, but ended up having to cut off several inches of heat damage :(

Anyway, I'll try to quickly show you how things have been going.

Here's my hair after the damage. I straightened at home, so my mom could cut it for me.

260030830853.jpg

Here's where she cut it to In April 2009:

271112774661.jpg

Here's where I was in June 2009 or so:

276226934789.jpg

Here's my hair yesterday:

296985239813.jpg
296987597317.jpg

These pics were taken yesterday, but give you an idea of how my hair was burned off and burned straight in some places:

296903669381.jpg
296916944005.jpg

That's why I'm nervous about having it straightened again by someone else - even though I love how it looks. It's not worth losing a year of progress. I straightened for these length checks using this simple Conair curling iron (Conair Infiniti Professional Tourmaline Ceramic Curling Iron) w/ the temp set to 315F.

487632_fpx.tif

I also use Redken heatglide

heat_glide_b.jpg

I hope to be APL by Summer 2010! Wish me luck.

He used a Marcel. My hair was burned blonde in some places by the time he was finished with me.
Girl, how did I know this, smdh... I tell stylists to stay the hell away from me with that thing... that was part of the reason that I deciced to go natural almost 4 months ago because of the damage I sustained with those things:nono:

Girl, how did I know this, smdh... I tell stylists to stay the hell away from me with that thing... that was part of the reason that I deciced to go natural almost 4 months ago because of the damage I sustained with those things:nono:

We talked in detail before he started and I told him that i didn't need the hair to look bone straight. I just wanted it straightened with some curls. He went on and on about how he's a natural hair expert and that not everyone can do natural hair.

He washed my hair, piled it on top of my head and put me under the dryer. He removed me from the dryer and took out a blower dryer w/ a comb attachment and went to blowing out my hair. Hair was flying everywhere.

Then he started pressing the hair and turned on a fan - to blow out the smoke I guess. I learned my lesson about trusting people and sitting there despite my gut reaction.

My hair smelled like bar-b-que when he was done. I was so broken up I didn't even know what to do. That was light weight traumatic for me.

Glad that's over.

Do it yourself from now on or get someone you trust. Many salons don't seem to use heat protection for some odd reason. They seem to use SUPER heat too.

Congrats tho...I am sorry this happened to ya.

Last edited:
Sorry you went through that. I had a stylist burn off part of my hair too when I was natural. I'm glad yours grew back. I love the thickness!

Glad your hair is recovering nicely!
But that stylist!? He should be fired! The nerve of some people to call themselves professionals and screw up that badly!

That's great progress in only 6 months. I understand your fear of going back to stylists. I don't trust them, either, for several reasons.

Thanks yall! I was like "My hair must look wack," cause I got mad views and no comments. And we ALL know what THAT means :lachen:

But I'm proud of the progress! I can't tell you how depressing it was at first.

But this is just a reminder that hair does grow back. And no one will love your hair like you do - so it you get a bad stylist and you feel it's not going well...get up from the chair. Because you go home - and they spend your money. Some of them could care less.

(((HUGS)))

Call Me a Butthead, but is a Marcel a Stove Iron?

You have a nice head of hair! Glad to see this recovery. I had a setback recently and your progress is encouraging.

Nice job Oco. You're making good progress. This just reinforces my belief that I can take care of my hair better than anyone else

this is giving me hope! i suffered from some heat damaged hair and cut off some inches..i love your hair..how many inches is it?

this is giving me hope! i suffered from some heat damaged hair and cut off some inches..i love your hair..how many inches is it?

IDK, never measured it. I'm obsessed with making APL - so that's really all I measure towards. I'm about 4 inches from APL.

Glad to hear it's recovering so quickly. I also applaud you for your patience (I went through the damaged hair growout phase as well).

Your progress is great!

It's wonderful to see someone recover from a setback. Very brave of you to have cut off your damaged hair and just keep it going until you had your length and health back.

Sorry for your setback but you have made great progress.
I once had a stylist burn off a complete section of my hair. I went to touch my hair and a 3 inch wide section just came out in my hand mid shaft.

You made great progress from April to June.
I am surprised that you can get your hair so straight with a regular curling iron.

Back