Hair products that work well with 4a/4b hair types

toni44

Hello All,

I would like to know if you have any good hair products suggestions for this hair type. I currently have relaxed APL after doing a huge chop from BSL. will post pics as soon as i can.....

Shampoos?
Conditioners/ Leave-Ins?
Setting Lotions?

There are no specific products for hair types. It's basically going to be trial and error for you. And over time as your hair condition changes (improves, retains moisture, etc), you'll find you may need different products.

Example: Everybody and their cousin's dog loves Yes To Carrots, I hate it. And it's not even marketed for textured hair. I love Tresemme Naturals and that's not marketed to textured hair. So just grab a couple things or try what you already have and go from there.

TBH, I don't think there's a product for a specific hair type. For instance many type 4 naturals like Shea Butter. I and several people on the forum cannot stand it; it makes our hair hard.

When I first joined the forum, majority of the people on the forum were relaxed. What I learned back then is they used the best of the products out there as far as my hair was concerned. I didn't ask them what their hair type was; I just read product raves and if something got raves (like Emergencee got in a recent thread), I made note of that. If they mentioned a good moisturizing shampoo, I found I liked it too. And when it came to conditioners, they were gurus. I learned about S Curl from someone who was relaxed; learned about AO GPB from relaxed folks. Learned about good lines like Giovanni, J/A/S/O/N from relaxed folks...all of whom had various types of hair, not just 4.

In other words, do not limit your options to just what type 4 folks use, coz you'll miss out on good stuff. Just do a search for Best Moisturizing Shampoos, Best Conditioners...and read the reviews to get an idea what you may want to try.

When I joined LHCF, I tried CON shampoo, Castille Soap, Shea Butter....because that's what people with my hair used. It didn't take me long to realize my hair type had nothing to do with the products that will work for it. Another thing to keep in mind as you read through threads is not every person who has your hair type will have hair you want to have, instead look at people whose hair you admire and find out what they use and if they like it and how long they've used it before you decide to jump off the cliff.

Here are some threads to start you off:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=404916

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=322755

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=30482

I LOVE Darcy's botanicals coconut lemongrass transitioning cream as a daily moisturizer and leave in.

I also love silk elements mega moisturizing conditioner as a DC.

TBH, I don't think there's a product for a specific hair type. For instance many type 4 naturals like Shea Butter. I and several people on the forum cannot stand it; it makes our hair hard.

When I first joined the forum, majority of the people on the forum were relaxed. What I learned back then is they used the best of the products out there as far as my hair was concerned. I didn't ask them what their hair type was; I just read product raves and if something got raves (like Emergencee got in a recent thread), I made note of that. If they mentioned a good moisturizing shampoo, I found I liked it too. And when it came to conditioners, they were gurus. I learned about S Curl from someone who was relaxed; learned about AO GPB from relaxed folks. Learned about good lines like Giovanni, J/A/S/O/N from relaxed folks...all of whom had various types of hair, not just 4.

In other words, do not limit your options to just what type 4 folks use, coz you'll miss out on good stuff. Just do a search for Best Moisturizing Shampoos, Best Conditioners...and read the reviews to get an idea what you may want to try.

When I joined LHCF, I tried CON shampoo, Castille Soap, Shea Butter....because that's what people with my hair used. It didn't take me long to realize my hair type had nothing to do with the products that will work for it. Another thing to keep in mind as you read through threads is not every person who has your hair type will have hair you want to have, instead look at people whose hair you admire and find out what they use and if they like it and how long they've used it before you decide to jump off the cliff.

Here are some threads to start you off:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=404916

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=322755

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=30482
:lachen::lachen:I could have jumped off a million cliffs, I did go off a few:spinning: and you talked me back from one I was contemplating :lachen:

oh I'm thankful you talked me back from that one Nonie :kiss:

Last edited:
:lachen::lachen:I could have jumped off a million cliffs, I did go off a few:spinning: and you talked me back from one I was contemplating :lachen:

oh I'm thankful you talked me back from that one Nonie :kiss:

Oh? I don't remember :look: (PM me some time and jog my memory) but I'm glad to hear you refrained from doing something crazy. I think I'd hurt you if you messed that beautiful head of hair. :bat:

Oh? I don't remember :look: (PM me some time and jog my memory) but I'm glad to hear you refrained from doing something crazy. I think I'd hurt you if you messed that beautiful head of hair. :bat:
Them baking soda raves almost pulled me in....had me ready to try it:lachen:

we wont talk about the salt-cliff tho:lachen::lachen:

NTM deep recovery mask,
nexxus humectress,
nexxus emergencee,
profectiv products,
ors moisturiser,
wild grow oil,
grapeseed oil,
coconut oil,
olive oil,
aloevera gel mixed with oil as a moisturiser occasionally,
roux porosity control,

All thses work well for my hair.

ETA: acv rinse

The best thing I can do for my 4a/b is to keep it moisturized. Most natural oils work well for me- coconut, evoo, Hemp oil, wheat germ oil, macadamia nut oil, and if my hair is straigh I use jojoba oil (not heavy.. it moisturizes and still leaves me with some body)essential oils- rosemary, peppermint, tea tree oil... I have also found that adding an egg to my conditioner for a deep conditioner has worked WONDERS for my hair.. I love it.. it gives me just enough protien. I will also add some kind of oil to the conditioner as well
I hope this tid-bit helps.
HHG!!!

Last edited:
HI , Thanks for the info , I have tried loads of products I have 2 bins just filled with products . I have stuck with profectiv and ORS for the most part . I was just so frustrated after having to cut off soo much...

i used Nioxin, Keracare, Elucence, Nexxus, and there was one company that got my hair back on track, i can't think of it, but the i loved it. it had a spray leave-in spray that really got my hair back on track and it was moisturizing, but protein filled. some folks didn't care for it because of it, but it helped my hair so much.

well I realised my hair was suffering from neglect more or less... my DH said i did not 'do' as much to it anymore. like rarely deep conditioning which cause my ends to dry out and look haggard.which led to the big snip:nono:....now i baggy 3 to 4 nights a week....seen a complete turn around of my hair's condition. No more laziness from me!

My staples are:
Aloe Vera juice/gel, Silk Amino Acids, Wheat germ oil, Beauty without cruelty leave in conditioner, Elucence (shampoo, condish, serum, mousse), Mizani BB reg. relaxer, Gleau oil blend, Nioxin Bliss, Giovanni SAS Deeper moisture condish, Silicone Mix, Biolage Cera repair, Joico and Prairie (something) reconstructor...I think that's it:grin:

Its been 2 years since i originally started this post and came back with a few tips from my experience.

1. Protein conditioners with silicones worked really well
ORS Mayo
Aphogee 2 min reconstructor (Seems to moisturise hair as well)
Aphogee 2 step protein treatment.

2. My moisturising conditioner had to be free of cones with little or no glycerin.

Tresemme naturals conditioner
Curls coconut sublime -also good as a leave-in moisturizer ( 5% conditioner 95% water)

3. Cold pressed oils like black sesame seed oil with almond oil 3:1 ratio is great for retaining moisture

4. Type of shampoo used did not really matter as long as it had low amounts of sulphates and zero cones.
I used ORS creamy aloe and
Profectiv shampoo mouse

Also For relaxed Ladies

Switching to LYE made a difference as well in relation to moisture retention.

I gained 4 Inches of maintained growth overall from just above BSL to MBL.

Back