Hair Plans For 2017 & What Did You Learn In 2016?

This year I learned how to properly shampoo my hair. Cleansing conditioners and cowashes just don't work for me.

Next year I will keep up with keratin treatments.
I will shampoo and dc weekly.
I'll trim every 3 months on the Equinoxes and Solstices.
I don't have a specific length goal for 2017, but I want to retain 4 inches and thicken my hemline.
I'm such a nerd. Happy Winter Solstice! @Prettymetty
I'll come back and post a little later.

• What did you learn about your hair this year? What worked and what didn't?
I learned that my hair loves being put away in buns. Twist buns work very well and Marley twists work well too. My hair loves protein treatments because my strands are very fine. Box braids do not work for me anymore because my hair line has become somewhat fragile so I cannot wear those. I've also learned that anything castor oil based actually dries my hair out while making it greasy at the same time. Heating up my DCs before application work also. I've also learned that my hair stays moisturized just applying a cream or butter based hair lotion and I do not need to LOC, LCO, etc. Oil is useless in my regimen unless I want to prepoo or seal my DC with it.
  • What was your biggest improvement with your hair? Any setbacks?
My biggest improvement was how it has responded using ayurvedic treatments and henna blends. Now that I know how to use them, I can definitely tell my hair is stronger and somewhat fuller. No setbacks this year.
  • What products will you continue using? Which will you dump?
I will be using things in my stash, primarily APB, Naturale Grow DCs, Shea Moisture, SSI. I will toss whatever I use that doesn't work after the second time around.
  • What are your hair plans/goals for next year?
I plan to keep doing the same thing; twist buns, Marley twists, and I'm going to try crochet braids starting the New Year, still keeping my hair protected one to two months and then wearing it out one to two weeks. I'm also going to trim as needed instead of on a schedule because I have to get out of my head that since I don't wear my hair straight my ends do not have to be blunt to be healthy. I also plan to keep alternating between protein treatments and henna treatments.
  • Anything else?
I'm not going to obsess over length goals, too stressing.

I learned that my hair hates heavy product/or to be weighed down at all. I have to use light products and shampoo frequently to avoid buildup which causes dryness. Serums work, creams don't (not long term anyway). I need to use more moisturizing gel. Still working on this, might go back to activator gel.
Ummmm I think paddle brushes with rough backing were reeeeally messing up my ends. Denman is okay and so are small tooth combs. My split ends were a setback. Brushes are still the most awesome thing ever for detangling though lol.
Ugh idk I'm still moving things around.
I want to grow my hair out so my goal is to keep my hair happy.

I have learned that I am my best hairdresser. My last visit to my regular hairdresser was in the summer for a haircut. My hair was a lot longer and thicker than the last time she saw me, and I sensed a resentment in her that she took out on my hair. That's fine, I've grown it all back.

Including henna and other India herbs has made my hair so much more healthier. It is fuller and shiner than it's ever been.

Rediscovering smoothing serums has been the biggest battle in combating sticky hair which in turn mean no more breakage from tangles.

Finger combing and using a side tooth comb on wash days also means little to no breakage.

I have learned that I am my best hairdresser. My last visit to my regular hairdresser was in the summer for a haircut. My hair was a lot longer and thicker than the last time she saw me, and I sensed a resentment in her that she took out on my hair. That's fine, I've grown it all back.

Including henna and other India herbs has made my hair so much more healthier. It is fuller and shiner than it's ever been.

Rediscovering smoothing serums has been the biggest battle in combating sticky hair which in turn mean no more breakage from tangles.

Finger combing and using a side tooth comb on wash days also means little to no breakage.

What smoothing serums do you use, and at what point in your hair care/styling? Thanks in advance.

I learned that my hair loves being put away in buns. Twist buns work very well and Marley twists work well too. My hair loves protein treatments because my strands are very fine. Box braids do not work for me anymore because my hair line has become somewhat fragile so I cannot wear those. I've also learned that anything castor oil based actually dries my hair out while making it greasy at the same time. Heating up my DCs before application work also. I've also learned that my hair stays moisturized just applying a cream or butter based hair lotion and I do not need to LOC, LCO, etc. Oil is useless in my regimen unless I want to prepoo or seal my DC with it.
My biggest improvement was how it has responded using ayurvedic treatments and henna blends. Now that I know how to use them, I can definitely tell my hair is stronger and somewhat fuller. No setbacks this year.
I will be using things in my stash, primarily APB, Naturale Grow DCs, Shea Moisture, SSI. I will toss whatever I use that doesn't work after the second time around.
I plan to keep doing the same thing; twist buns, Marley twists, and I'm going to try crochet braids starting the New Year, still keeping my hair protected one to two months and then wearing it out one to two weeks. I'm also going to trim as needed instead of on a schedule because I have to get out of my head that since I don't wear my hair straight my ends do not have to be blunt to be healthy. I also plan to keep alternating between protein treatments and henna treatments.
  • Anything else?
I'm not going to obsess over length goals, too stressing.

I like the idea of warming up the deep conditioner.

• What did you learn about your hair this year? What worked and what didn't? I'm natural so I keep it simple. Keep maintenance to a minimum by washing and deep conditioning bi-weekly, combing once per week and add lots of tlc.
  • What was your biggest improvement with your hair? Any setbacks? Improvement, it's growing, my edges are still there. Didn't have any setbacks because I'm serious this time.
  • Biggest improvement is the overall health of my hair.
  • What products will you continue using? Which will you dump? Everything I buy I use, even if it's not the best. I cheap, and don't want to waste money but I will continue using True sold at Sallys and Sheabutter products. I will incorporate Profectiv Megagrowth Break Free Daily Leave-in Strengthener into my regime. Loved using it when I was relaxed. Hope it provides the added moisture my dry hair needs
    What are your hair plans/goals for next year? being committed and continue doing what I've been doing. Hope to reach bra strap by 2018.
  • Anything else....yeah, bra strap here I come.

I am currently full waist length and I am on a journey to have healthy full waist length hair in 2017.

The problem I had in 2016 was breakage. I still haven't figured out the full cause of it...a lot of my breakage has occurred near my hairline which I attribute to using too much gel on my edges. I also have a lot of breakage in the mid line of my head from the front to the crown. I am thinking braiding my hair is causing this because that is where is I usually part my hair for my braids (I braid my hair for braidouts).

I am still trying to figure out how to fix this, but as of now I am doing more aggressive trims next year (3-4 of them instead of 2) and using less gel and edge control. I also think I don't drink enough water, so that is on my list as well.

If anyone has experienced breakage from braids, I would love some advice.

I just received my clip ins in the mail, looking forward to rocking them! What's your routine? I also wanna let my hair be so I'm using it more as a protective style.

Clip ins are MY true holy grail. My aging fragile hair has bloomed since Ive been using them. I work the hair pieces in with my hair. I also think the Xcel products have given me the edge. Im gonna keep doing this. This is the best way to leave me hair alone while maintaining moisture.

I use L'Oreal's Ever Sleek Precious Oil treatment as a seal in. It works wonders in separating my hair and keeping it seperated. I had no idea I could avoid tangles by using oil/serums meant to smooth the hair cuticles

Thanks for sharing. Girrrrrrl! I'm sold! I'm DEFINITELY trying this.

If I recall correctly, Garnier is going to be chemical-laden, which is okay, but I'll first see if I can find a serum with ingredients that fit in with my other products' ingredients. If not, trialing Garnier serum it is! :smile:

I'm so grateful you mentioned this!

What did you learn about your hair this year? What worked and what didn't?
-I just started my hair journey October 14th of this year. This will be my second journey and this time I am determined to make the health of my hair a long term commitment. I have learned a few things these past few months though. I can NOT do wash n gos. I'm sure there are some great products/techniques that would actually work for me but at this point I can no longer afford to experiment. Wash and go's leave my hair dry, tangled, and I get so much breakage with them. So no more wash and go's, ever lol
-My hair is a lot more fine than I thought and product build up is one of the worst things for it. I can't pile on the products or be too heavy handed with them.

What was your biggest improvement with your hair? Any setbacks?

-I cut my hair in October and usually by this time my ends would be constantly rough and tangled, but now that I actually take care of them they're still in pretty good shape. Just got to keep them moisturized, lay off the heat and manipulation.

What products will you continue using? Which will you dump?
-I'm still experimenting with products. I do really want to try the It's a 10 leave in and the Joico Moisture Recovery balm.

What are your hair plans/goals for next year?

-I want to retain as much length as possible, but not at the expense of unhealthy hair so I will trim when needed. I want to master roller sets (magnetic, curlformers, and flexi rods). I also want to be able to do a decent twist out and bantu knot out. I want my hair to look nice without relying on too much heat.
-I'd also like to find some staple products and let the PJ in me die a little.
-Drink more water, exercise, and take my supplements faithfully.
Anything else....

I transitioned and big chopped so I'm still learning how to be a natural but so far, less is more is working best.

Transitioning and becoming a natural. No setbacks.

Not dumping any. Will continue using the collection in my stash. Too many to list.

Simplicity

I learnt that my hair loves moisture, it can grow up to 0.5 inches a month with the right kind of care and it can be very soft . What worked for me was washing more often, drinking more water, using organic brands like Jason . I also use coconut oil and occasionally castor oil.
The inversion method kind of worked for me so I will look more into it.
My hair got thicker, longer and shinier, I had to trim off about 1.5-2 inches in some places however to make the hair look more full , that was a slight setback for me.
I will continue using all natural products and organic products.
What are your hair plans/goals for next year
Next year I plan to be shoulder length , I want full, healthy hair !

My hair loves protein. I need to do a hard protein treatment at least once a month.
A great detangler can go a long way in helping retain hairs and making wash day a pleasant experience.
I was over conditioning my hair by prepooing for hours before every wash.
My u-part wig curly wig has been a life saver.
Using the LCO method on braided hair under my wigs, lead to matting.

Visiting a stylist to get a trim and seeing how I lost very little hair with her during the washing and blowdrying process, made me want to invest in quality products/tools and treat my hair with patience.

Gonna continue with Qhemet Biologics Amla and Olive Heavy Cream, Design Essentials Shampoo, Aphogee 2-Step. Heck, I think that's it. I'm throwing away all products I haven't used in at least a year and the ones I have been using though they give me lackluster results because I'm just trying to use them up. I won't be sacrificing the health of my hair anymore just to "use up" a product.

After 3 years of having a hair t-shirt with the measurement lines on the back, I am going to take a beginning of the year hair length photo and track my growth throughout 2017 because I honestly feel like my hair didn't grow at all this year! But maybe it's just because I haven't tracked my growth.

My intention is to devote tender loving care to my hair in order to have a luxurious, healthy, moisturized set of curls and ringlets. I plan to be patient while doing my hair. I also want to invest in high quality products and styling tools.

Last edited:
Back