Hair oils and silk scarves

BrooklynSouth

Washing my silk scarves weekly is such a chore:mad: I have several beautiful art pieces lovely enough to use as framed wall art, Picasso, Matisse, etc bought at auction on Ebay from Jingjing Art, so, so cheaply { :cry:No longer a Registered Seller!} Four of them I rotate use at night to tie my hair and they are soaked in products and oils. I first use very hot water then clarifying shampoo to loosen the oils which results in hands full of "CRISCO". I squeeze the oils off the scarves, scrape my hands then use bar soap to liquify the remaining solids. I then use Avon bubble bath to loosen more oils; then use clothing detergent to soak again. I have to repeat the process at least twice. I've used Aritha powder which can be one step but it stains lighter fabrics.
How do y'all clean your silk scarves efficently and cleanly?...I am tired of my methods.

Last edited:
I have a silk scarf that I put in a mesh laundry bag and throw in the washing machine on the gentle cycle. That's the same way I wash my pantyhose and anything else that says "hand wash".

I wash it in cool water with silk made detergent and herbal essence "hydratant" poo (for the perfume)!

I wash my regular one in the shower (with whatever soap I'm using) and let it hang to dry, so it's ready to use at night. The good ones, I hand wash in woolite.

I was seperately w/ all my clothes cause girl let me tell you. The oils from my baggie method would get onto my scarf while I was in bed sleeping. So the next night when I put my scarf on my head again.....it would cause my forehead to break-out. Its hard getting the oils out of the scarves. So I bought a scarf for when my hair is wet, wrapped, baggie, or straight and dry. It helps

This is one of the reasons I have been doing the full headed baggy meathod. You don't have to cover you hair is spray and all that for it do work. Even if I lightly spritz some srpay and then put on a shower cap and them the scarf.
when I do wash them I was them in the shower like JLove using whichever shampoo and conditioner I have in there with me

elizabeth said:
I have a silk scarf that I put in a mesh laundry bag and throw in the washing machine on the gentle cycle. That's the same way I wash my pantyhose and anything else that says "hand wash".
This is how I wash my silk scarves also.:)

I don't have silk scarves (maybe I should be getting some though:think: )

I just through my scarves in the washer in the bag I use for lingerie.

-A

I toss mine in the washing machine. In the gentle cycle when I can remember. I hit up Liz Claiborne during a sale and got a massive scarf for two bucks. :D I love a good deal!

I do not have silk scarves, however, I do have satin pillowcases to wash. I use Dawn dish soap to get rid of the oil stians and then launder as usual. It works very well to emulsify the oil and rinses easily.

Perhaps you can give that a try.

elizabeth said:

This is how I wash mine also.

determined_to_grow said:
Brooklynsouth where did you get ur silk scarf?

Determined, I bought all of mine from EBAY= JINGJING ART was my selller but she no longer sells on EBAY! Lots of other sellers but I had established a rapport with her and her quality and delivery speed was A1. Luckily I purchased a lot of them before she quit. She still has a web site elsewhere but so much more expensive..I bought them at auction for $2-$8.00 or so..42 inch silk squares with great art print, some charmeuse and some thinner silk.
Thanks Ladies..I cannot use the 'gentle' cycle; my washer is at least 20 years old..it came with the house and it will not work on gentle cycle so back to hands full of crisco, they cleanse but so much work...thanks for the responses.

LocksOfLuV said:
I wash mines with a clarifying poo.

Works excellent!

I do this as well with cheapie Suave Daily Clarifying, because it's gentle. I dilute it in my pitcher (small 2qt that I use for ACV or baking soda rinses). It cleans so quickly. Just wring and drape over a hanger to air dry. For a quick dry, I use a hand hair dryer for a couple of minutes to speed up the process.

Back