Hair Milk / Healthy Hair Butter -- Make Your Own?

inthepink

Does anyone have a recipe that they use (or have found) to make a nice substitute for Carol's Daughter Hair Milk or Healthy Hair Butter?

I think you've already seen my recipes. However, I don't know how they compare to CD because I've yet to use any of her products. You may want to PM Gabrielle2. She just used one of my hair butters in her braidout and told me about it. She may be able to suggest or recommend something.

I have a recipe I posted under the Recipe Forum about 2 years ago. It is not exactly like the CDHHB(I also buy this myself) but I use it along with HHB and my hair loves it. I've been making this faithfully since I've been on the forums.

<font color="red"> 4 oz of shea butter(unrefined)- melted in microwave...
to which I added the following -
1 tablespoon of amla oil
2 tablespoons of coconut oil
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1 tablespoon of castor oil
1 tablespoon of almond oil
10 drops of rosemary oil
2 tablespoons of aloe vera oil
I put it in the refrigerator to harden. Then take it out and let it come to room temperature. It should be nice and creamy(or if you prefer leave it hardened...works both ways). This is very rich so a little goes a long way. I only apply it to my hair. It works better than anything I purchased for moisturizing. Works great on damp hair. You can use more, less or different oils. Play around with it until you find what works best for you. </font>

Here's a link to the original thread...
Hair butter

Thanks, sweetcocoa! I did see that recipe. Can you tell me more of what it's like? Do you think it's a good replacement for Healthy Hair Butter? I don't think my hair likes the beeswax in HHB.

Since posting today on Hair Tips I remembered a previous post on that thread that linked to a site having a lot of good info for natural hair. I rechecked the link and found this:

"....Then came Carol’s Daughter Healthy Hair Butter and I fell in love again: not only was it all-natural, but it was affordable compared to Kiehl’s.

After about a year or so it occurred to me that maybe I could make my own version of Healthy Hair Butter at home. Version 1.0 of LBell’s Knockoff consisted of equal parts shea butter and olive oil, and a few drops each of lavender and rosemary essential oils for fragrance. This version was very tricky to use: I had to microwave it to get it to a workable consistency, but if it became too liquid there was a danger of using too much, and then I’d end up with twists that resembled stiff little black candles.

With Version 2.0 (the basis of which is attributed to a woman named HerbalMomma; can't find the exact link but if you know it let me know) I ditched the olive oil in favor of equal parts avocado and coconut oils, and added cocoa butter. The result was a butter that kept its buttery consistency at room temperature. This is what I use right now as my heavier pomade and I consider it a kind of leave-in conditioner because it’s so rich and because I usually use it on wet, freshly washed hair.

Here’s the actual recipe:

Two ounces each shea butter and cocoa butter
1-2 tablespoons each avocado oil and coconut oil
Essential oils of your choice for fragrance (I usually use lavender, rosemary, and cedarwood together, but it varies depending on what I feel like smelling like)

Melt the shea and cocoa butters together. Let cool a little, then add the other oils. Mix well, pour into a container with a lid, put in the freezer or refrigerator to solidify, and then take it out and let it get to room temperature.

So now I’m pretty much sold on plant-based oils, butters, and blends...."

Hairlove, if you've already tried this or if it doesn't work for you let me know and I'll try and see what else I can find.

Quote taken from Hairfoodforthought.com

well..the one i made (and now making some for my mom)
&lt;&lt;DISCLAIMER...i rarely measure&gt;&gt;
75% shea butter
20% mango butter
5% olive butter
a touch of shealoe
1 tablespoon of honey
several drops of rosemary EO
a few drops of almond oil FO for fragrance

i tried this before with out the honey and decided to remelt and add the honey after looking over patience's recipe. IT MADE A DIFFERENCE! man i am in LOVE! i couldnt get my hand out of my head during church today and for the first time ever...wore my hair BIG in a braid out FRO..

I wish there was a recipe for their Tui hair oil and Mimosa Hair Honey. I love the smell of both and the tui makes my hair sooooooooooooooooo soft! I can't keep my hands out my hair right now.

Thank You - Spagirl and Gabrielle2

I will probably try the ones I seem to have the most ingredients for.

Anyone know of any for Hair Milk?

[ QUOTE ]
Spagirl said:
[ QUOTE ]
hairlove said:
Thank You - Spagirl and Gabrielle2....

[/ QUOTE ]

Your welcome Girlie!

[/ QUOTE ]

ditto!

[ QUOTE ]
Shawnee66 said:
hairlove you can use the same ingredients for the hair milk but just add distilled water. Not too much.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahh...thanks, Shawnee!

[ QUOTE ]
patience said:
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you planning to try these recipes? If so, please let us know how they turn out. I'm on the pj challenge, so I need to wait till June before purchasing ingredients!

GURL, GIVE ME A WEEK, PAYDAY ISN'T TIL FRIDAY
grin.gif

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shawnee66 said:
hairlove you can use the same ingredients for the hair milk but just add distilled water. Not too much.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ahh...thanks, Shawnee!

you're welcome

[ QUOTE ]
hairlove said:
Thanks, sweetcocoa! I did see that recipe. Can you tell me more of what it's like? Do you think it's a good replacement for Healthy Hair Butter? I don't think my hair likes the beeswax in HHB.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think it's as thick as HHB. I use both. I've been able to buy HHB in Maryland, so I haven't really been trying to replce it. My butter makes my hair very shiney, soft and healthy looking especially on damp hair. My nephew and a few of his friends in the Army use it in Iraq, and so does my son.

I have this recipe that someone came across from some girl name Hope at the Yahoo Long Natural Hair Club. I've made it before and loved it, but I can't really compare it to CD's HHB because I never tried it before.

Homemade version of CD's HHB
1.5 cup thick Aloe Vera Gel (lily of the desert)
2 oz. Shea Butter
2 oz. Castor Oil
2 tsp honey (this is for shine and humectancy)
2 tsp. Glycerine
2 oz Lecithin ( Some people substitute with 2 oz of Vitamin E)

Melt Shea and Castor Oil using the water bath method (heat proof bowl/ cup in a pot of boiling water) Stir in honey. Put Aloe Vera Gel, Glycerin, and vitamen E in a blender/cup, Blend/stir slowly adding shea-castor-honey mixture.

Enjoy!

Back